The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah be great its not a oroblem, be great fun enjoy it! :smile:
Reply 21
Yeah, I love TripAdvisor! Found an Egyptian hotel with no bad reviews :eek: The link is in my sig :smile:
If it's just two of you, you shouldn't encounter too many problems- me and my boyfriend stayed in a 5* (special deal on lastminute.com, their secret hotels where they have rooms empty in expensive hotels so they sell them for cheap, without giving the name of the hotel- was amazing!)
But yeah, we stayed in a 5* in Edinburgh when we were 16/17, no problems, just gave my debit card at reception where they ask for a credit card.
Then the next year we stayed in a lush hotel in Prague, again, we were worried when we had to fill in a form with all our details but it was no problem.
Reply 23
PinkPigeon
(special deal on lastminute.com, their secret hotels where they have rooms empty in expensive hotels so they sell them for cheap, without giving the name of the hotel- was amazing!)

How do I get to this?!
Talya
How do I get to this?!

Just search last minute for their secret hotel deals. Also www.laterooms.co.uk is amazing- you can get 5* hotels in London for half the price if you go last minute. It's perfect for student who have loads of time so don't have to fit in their holidays around work.
Talya
I'd like to go on holiday with my boyfriend, but I've encountered problems such as hotels saying we are too young to have a room unsupervised... Anyone else had these problems? Can we get around them? We'll actually probably be going next Easter or July, to Egypt or Italy or Greece, so we'll be 19, but some hotels said we needed to be 21.

Also, I've been on holidays lots before, but only with adults, a little scared of going on my own. Can anyone else share their experience of you and your partner or a group of friends on holiday alone?

Last year I went to Menorca with my boyfriend (I was 17, he was 19). We had no problems whatsoever about being young. The only thing where my age came into play was when we booked the holiday - because I was classed as a minor I had to have my parents' permission to go away, so my parents had to write a letter to the Holiday company, which wasn't a problem at all.

I was a bit worried about entering the country because I'd heard that you can't enter unless you're with a guardian or over 18, but I neednt have worried because there was no problems at all - the guards in Menorca even tried to chat me up! :p: When we got to our apartments we had no problems and we were never asked our ages. I think it was definitely a good idea to book it through a holiday company (First Choice) as it saved us a lot of hassle. Now you;re 18 if you book through a travel agent you should be fine... whilst I was 17 I had no problems, so now you're legal you should be fine!

Menorca itself was lovely - we went to Son Bou, the busiest part of Menorca, but it was still very quiet! It's very laid back and there's not that much to do in terms of nightlife (there was a Hawaian bar that was great... the waiters were on rollerskates, and instead of normal chairs there were hammocks and rocking chairs!!!) - we mostly laid by the beach or relaxed in our apartment, but this was good for us, because we didn't go on holiday to get drunk etc, it was just lovely spending time with eachother and relaxing.

As for being without parents it was very daunting at first! It was so wierd having to pack all the necessities like washing up liquids and tea towels and bog roll, because usually my mum does all that! Our nearest airport is Luton but our filghts were from Stansted so my Dad dropped us off... saying goodbye I nearly welled up, and when I was queuing for my ticket I felt all upset because usually I have my family with me but this time it's just me... I didn't let my boyfriend know that though! :p: Once we got there I rung my parents straightaway to let them know I was ok, and I rung them every other evening. It made me more independent aswell, because I had to control how much I spent, buy food and everything, so it was good for that. Also, I'd been to Menorca before (we stayed in the same apartments, and I think the one I stayed in with my boyfriend was the one above where I stayed with my family!) so I had a bit of knowledge of it - that was great, because I didn't feel so nervous once I was there and I knew my way round. For your first holiday it might be a good idea to go somewhere you;ve been before, rather than jumping in the deep end straightaway!

Latest