The Student Room Group

organic chemistry

Hello all, I was looking to start studying organic chemistry, and since I have been out of school for some time I don't know which books take are good to take you through from the very basic - the advanced higher levels. I have been looking for books that basically go over all aspects of organic chemistry. I found "organic synthesis" online and they have volumes of books which I think are ideal, but I would rather them as hard copies so I can have them to hand. anyone with any suggestions for resources available thanks.
Clayden et al, organic chemistry. AWESOME book, at least for 1st year undergrad and good for 2nd and sort of 3rd year.
Original post by JMaydom
Clayden et al, organic chemistry. AWESOME book, at least for 1st year undergrad and good for 2nd and sort of 3rd year.

Also usable as a sturdy building material or impromptu piece of gym equipment.

Apart from that I'd recommend the Oxford Chemistry primers if you've got access to a uni library, they are a whole series of short books which look at different aspects of Chemistry.
Original post by chrisawhitmore
Also usable as a sturdy building material or impromptu piece of gym equipment.

Apart from that I'd recommend the Oxford Chemistry primers if you've got access to a uni library, they are a whole series of short books which look at different aspects of Chemistry.

Oh I have the exam regulations for that purpose. It is well known that the uni exam regulations ~4inch thick behemoth of wasted paper has no use as a book, only as a weight!

OU primers are, well, for organic much better for specific areas. IMHO I don't think they're a good place to start if you are starting from A-level. Clayden builds from the very basic in a well ordered manner.
Reply 4
Another vote for Clayden here. It's good for the basics up to things like enantioselective organometallic catalysis. I've only started to find it lacks stuff now I'm in my 4th year, although my course is different to most.

Quick Reply

Latest