The Student Room Group

AQA English Lang & Lit, The Crucible

Anybody doing this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did it for my AS coursework this year (and got the highest band!) Did you need some help?
Reply 2
Original post by Mazie
I did it for my AS coursework this year (and got the highest band!) Did you need some help?

ahhh nah im doing it for the exam:frown:
Reply 3
anybody
Reply 4
Hey, I'm doing the same exam... next Monday?
Reply 5
Original post by SuHoo

Original post by 3mmz
anybody

Yo.

A question to you both.... how much theory do you talk about in your essays? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SuHoo

yeah!!!!
hows it going for you!

im so stuck on the crucible!
Reply 7
Original post by 3mmz
yeah!!!!
hows it going for you!

SAME! I find it so hard to revise for as there are so many themes :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by ColourDog
Yo.

A question to you both.... how much theory do you talk about in your essays? :smile:

In the first question, I'd use theory to be like a little paragraph of analysis, wouldn't use it largely personally!

In the second question... the unseen, I don't really go through a huge amount of theory, only where it's relevant! I'll maybe mention like one or two theories per text? All depends on the text tbh!
Reply 9
Original post by SuHoo
In the first question, I'd use theory to be like a little paragraph of analysis, wouldn't use it largely personally!

In the second question... the unseen, I don't really go through a huge amount of theory, only where it's relevant! I'll maybe mention like one or two theories per text? All depends on the text tbh!

How are you structuring your essay....
Original post by SuHoo

Ta. I tend to add a line or two here and there.... So hopefully that's enough! Ha :smile:
How confident are you about the exam?:smile:
Original post by 3mmz
yeah!!!!
hows it going for you!

What are you stuck on with the crucible? The crucible is the essay I'm fairly confident on! Ha, it's the talk in life that I'm urghhh about!
Reply 12
What are you stuck on with the crucible? The crucible is the essay I'm fairly confident on! Ha, it's the talk in life that I'm urghhh about!

I've read the book again...
It's just how to structure the essay
I get stuck/confused on what to write after you talk about context. I know it obviously depends on the steer but I'm scared that I won't know what to write!
Original post by 3mmz
I've read the book again...
It's just how to structure the essay
I get stuck/confused on what to write after you talk about context. I know it obviously depends on the steer but I'm scared that I won't know what to write!

I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
I made a mind map and I had to write it out a few times (kept ripping it lol) and now I can picture it when I write my essays?:smile: also I remember all the dramatic effects by 'mrs e epic'
(mood, relationships, suspense/tension, effect on audience, effect of irony, rhetoric and humour, purpose, ideas and themes and characters :smile:)

I only really have a structure for my first paragraph:
Name the act
Is it private/public?
What happens before and after
Expectations
And any relevant points that LTQ :smile: (usually a theme)

Then like you said, the rest depends on the q... I just try and talk about speech in perf, McCarthyism, turn taking, status, agenda setting, theory, single word analysis, themes, utterances and all the other points you pick up on depending on the extract (eg repetition, hesitations, imagery (can get some serious b.s in there :L) and try and talk about the audience in each paragraph :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by 3mmz
How are you structuring your essay....

For which question?
Reply 15

Haha, I am the complete opposite! Thank you for your crucible structure really helped!

Not sure if you wanna know my talk in life structure but just incase it helps, haha;

Intro: Theme both texts are based on and roughly what happens. A sentence on attitudes and values.

Purpose and Audience: Audience in talk in life is always eachother, unless filmed for a show and therefore audience of the show, and purpose is fairly obvious! In the talk in lit one there are two purposes - internal and external, so make sure to mention that!

Structure - if relevant? so if a person is talking about a story, here you could mention Labov's narrative structure

Attitudes and Values

Talk in Lif & Talk in Lit. - so non-fluency features against poetic language, similies things like that

Theories!

Obviously you can't use them all, but pick the ones relevant!

Just wrote that out in one go haha so sorry if it makes no sense D:
Reply 16
Original post by SuHoo
For which question?

both
Original post by SuHoo
Haha, I am the complete opposite! Thank you for your crucible structure really helped!

Not sure if you wanna know my talk in life structure but just incase it helps, haha;

Intro: Theme both texts are based on and roughly what happens. A sentence on attitudes and values.

Purpose and Audience: Audience in talk in life is always eachother, unless filmed for a show and therefore audience of the show, and purpose is fairly obvious! In the talk in lit one there are two purposes - internal and external, so make sure to mention that!

Structure - if relevant? so if a person is talking about a story, here you could mention Labov's narrative structure

Attitudes and Values

Talk in Lif & Talk in Lit. - so non-fluency features against poetic language, similies things like that

Theories!

Thank you :smile:
Not been taught Labov (yeh... my teach is ****)
Find the talk question harder as although i can spot features etc when reading it, i really struggle time wise to get everything in! I also don't have a 'tick list' in my head like I do for 'The Crucible' question which stresses me out a bit :/ I've been getting A's on the talk in life/lit bit recently, but i'm not sure how? (which isn't reassuring as I don't understand and thus can all go to pots in the actual exam :/)
Reply 18
Original post by SuHoo

Attitudes and Values

Theories!

Thanks for that....
What's Labov?
Reply 19
Thank you :smile:
Not been taught Labov (yeh... my teach is ****)
Find the talk question harder as although i can spot features etc when reading it, i really struggle time wise to get everything in! I also don't have a 'tick list' in my head like I do for 'The Crucible' question which stresses me out a bit :/ I've been getting A's on the talk in life/lit bit recently, but i'm not sure how? (which isn't reassuring as I don't understand and thus can all go to pots in the actual exam :/)

thanks for the crucible plan...

i guess first paragraph...where the scene comes in the play, what comes before and after...and then just write about what relates to the steer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending