The Student Room Group

If a woman had more money than you would it bother you?

You know how they say that power/wealth/nice cars tends to attract women on a subconscious or conscious level? Well what if a woman has some wealth and a nice car, does this make her more attractive to men? Does a womans wealth affect her attractiveness at all? Would it bother you if a woman earned more than you?

They say that men go for beauty only is this true? What if a woman doesnt have beauty? Its something that a woman cant really work for.
Reply 1
I presume you only wanted a male opinon but tbh my brain works like a man
my man brain says...
I would, I am the man therefore I should be bringing in the money, I should provide, I would feel a failure if she made more money than me.
No. Because I don't live in the 19th or 20th century.
Reply 3
no it means i have a new source of money
As many men have the primitive tendency to lean towards the "I man, I provide for weak woman" mindset, I believe you'll get a lot of men saying yes I would mind, as men should always provide for women. This show of machismo is still surprisingly prevalent in society, and many men will feel intimidated by a professional, high-achieving woman who earns a lot more than they do. Men need to realise that long gone are the days of a man taking down a 16ft wooly mammoth with nothing but a sharp stick and his testosterone but men and women are now on an equal playing field in terms of providing for their families/partners/etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Not really.
Reply 6
Original post by Calllu-m
As many men have the primitive tendency to lean towards the "I man, I provide for weak woman" mindset, I believe you'll get a lot of men saying yes I would mind, as men should always provide for women. This show of machismo is still surprisingly prevalent in society, and many men will feel intimidated by a professional, high-achieving woman who ears a lot more than they do. Men need to realise that long gone are the days of a man taking down a 16ft wooly mammoth with nothing but a sharp stick and his testosterone but men and women are now on an equal playing field in terms of providing for their families/partners/etc.

You say that like it is a conscious choice. I agree that it isn't a problem if a woman earns more than me but people who is does bother don't choose to think this. Just because men aren't required to provide anymore doesn't mean all men will lose the instinct and drive to be the provider. It isn't a matter of realising society's changed, if they feel uncomfortable not being the provider they can't really do anything about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
No not at all. In fact it might mean that she is intellectual or independent, both of which are great traits in a partner.
Original post by Aoide
You say that like it is a conscious choice. I agree that it isn't a problem if a woman earns more than me but people who is does bother don't choose to think this. Just because men aren't required to provide anymore doesn't mean all men will lose the instinct and drive to be the provider.

It isn't a conscious choice, I agree. It's more a product of the collective mind of society, especially amongst more traditional members. I don't think they should lose the drive to provide, but I don't think that they should be threatened to enter a relationship with a woman whose means of providing are stronger.
Reply 9
If you can convince her to marry you then that's free money for you, right? Nothing wrong with that.
Original post by Bobifier
If you can convince her to marry you then that's free money for you, right? Nothing wrong with that.

yup, half her earnings
No, it wouldn't bother me and, no, I don't think she'd be more attractive to me. If I don't like her then I don't like her and I highly doubt she'd instantly become more attractive when I find out she's got a bit of money.
Reply 12
Original post by Calllu-m
It isn't a conscious choice, I agree. It's more a product of the collective mind of society, especially amongst more traditional members. I don't think they should lose the drive to provide, but I don't think that they should be threatened to enter a relationship with a woman whose means of providing are stronger.

Unfortunately that is something they have to decide themselves. If they really can't handle not being the provider they probably shouldn't be in a relationship with someone who earns more money. It is easy to trivialise instincts like this and say they aren't what a relationship is about but to some people they are a big deal and the only person qualified to say what is important in their relationship is them.

I actually think biological differences between males and females plays at least as much of a part as social conditioning, in my experience in my generation there really isn't any pressure for men to provide more than women however there are still many guys who want to. I think instinctively many guys see the ability to provide for people is a viewed as a measure of a mans worth whether they are told it to be the case or not. It is hardly a surprise that a brain designed and conditioned to survive in cave and hunt animals hasn't completely adjusted to modern societies needs.
(edited 10 years ago)
I would be put off by a guy who would be put off by me theoretically outearning him. :P
I would be more into a guy who supports me in my chosen career and encourages me to excel at it. (And so hopefully earn a fair bit.)
Original post by Aoide
Unfortunately that is something they have to decide themselves. If they really can't handle not being the provider they probably shouldn't be in a relationship with someone who earns more money. It is easy to trivialise instincts like this and say they aren't what a relationship is about but to some people they are a big deal and the only person qualified to say what is important in their relationship is them.

I actually think biological differences between males and females plays at least as much of a part as social conditioning, in my experience in my generation there really isn't any pressure for men to provide more than women however there are still many guys who want to. I think instinctively many guys see the ability to provide for people is a viewed as a measure of a mans worth whether they are told it to be the case or not. It is hardly a surprise that a brain designed and conditioned to survive in cave and hunt animals hasn't completely adjusted to
modern societies needs.

Indeed, although it is a bit archaic in nature, but hey-ho welcome to 2013. Yes one shouldn't trivialise it but it's a mindset passed down from fathers to sons etc. Hopefully as society modernises and women own a larger chunk of the wealth, it won't be such a big deal. Wouldn't be for me anyway. That said, my dad was pretty "man hunt for food" until my mum earned more than him for a while. I suppose it depends on individual circumstance too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending