The Student Room Group

Order of melting point

So I know that simple molecular has a low melting point and that giant ionic/ giant metallic/ macromolecular all have high melting points but how do you rank the order of melting points between these three? Which has the higher melting points, how would you be able to distinguish?
Reply 1
Original post by sarah.102
So I know that simple molecular has a low melting point and that giant ionic/ giant metallic/ macromolecular all have high melting points but how do you rank the order of melting points between these three? Which has the higher melting points, how would you be able to distinguish?

Giant covalent usually have the highest melting points, then it depends on the metal and the ionic compound I think.
e.g. NaCl has a melting point of 801C
Aluminium has a melting point of 660.3C
Iron has a melting point of 1538C
:smile:
Reply 2
And diamond has of nearly 3600 C
It depends on the cohesion forces
Dependant on the structure of the metal and covalent/ionic structure. The field of solid state chemistry is vast and complex, so dumping together the vast array of different structures under giant covalent or ionic just doesn't do it justice. You'll need to distinguish them by other parameters such as conductivity and solubility.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarah.102

clear some space :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest