The Student Room Group

How can you be sure thermal decomposition is complete?

How can you? It came up on a past paper :smile:
it would depend on what you are thermally decomposing
Reply 2
calcium carbonate
Reply 3
Weighing to constant mass.
In other words, you heat, then weigh
then heat then weigh
until the masses of the contents you achieve are both equal! That tells you that all off the CaCo3 is decomposed and no more mass can be lost through further decomposition (as the co2 leaves).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jenn12345
calcium carbonate

Was it being decomposed connected to a tube, with the gas being bubbled through? Because the reaction would be over when this system stopped bubbling. Edit: The above poster's technique might work better - it's less complicated.
Reply 5
Thanks, one more thing. What is the balanced equation for calcium oxide and water reacting to make calcium hydroxide
so far i have CaO + H2o -----> Ca(OH)3 +CO2

is this ok?
Reply 6
Original post by PythianLegume
Was it being decomposed connected to a tube, with the gas being bubbled through? Because the reaction would be over when this system stopped bubbling. Edit: The above poster's technique might work better - it's less complicated.

We are not told in the paper
Thanks, one more thing. What is the balanced equation for calcium oxide and water reacting to make calcium hydroxide
so far i have CaO + H2o -----> Ca(OH)3 +CO2

is this ok?

Calcium forms 2+ ions, so the product would be Ca(OH)2
Reply 8
Thanks great help
Thanks great help

The equation is still incorrect with Ca(OH)2 - you have put carbon in the products, but it'snot in the reactants.
Reply 10
heat to constant mass if the mass of residue is higher than expected i get that but what if the mass is lower than expected could that happen?what would cause it to happen?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending