The Student Room Group

Islamist views and related crime stories in the UK - how to deal with it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by TheAsian
I've read though the threads, who's justifying this?
You think I'm immoral? Do expand.
Yeah, I didn't deny that there are some idiot "Muslims" who think it's right to go around killing disbelievers.
Here's an example of reading out of context:
http://quran.com/4/89
Reading IN context:
http://quran.com/4/90

See what I mean?

not really, 4:89 is not about non muslims ('kuufr') its about apostates ie muslims turning away from islam- that you can seize them and kill them. the debate has been whether you are allowed to kill them if they apostate and leave you alone (4:90)

what you are really highlighting is the problems with the quran being unclear and contradictory, which is what leads to all this varied interpretation. if no convert out of islam was supossed to be killed, then really no such verse should exisit in quran. but it does and therefroe there is alway some muslims that will read it and act on verbatem
Reply 121
Original post by tropicthunder
519d32e4256e1cae.jpg

Taking a verse from the Quran and interpreting it without understanding fully its context and the reasons as to it's revelation is not the right thing to do.

http://www.islam101.com/terror/verse8_12.htm

It's always best to understand a concept and it's reasons, rather than grasping only one part of it. That will never lead you to the truth! :smile:
Ex-Atheists who convert to Islam are brainwashed to do so by their Atheist parents?

I was referring to the majority. Normally Atheists do not become religious, its the other way round. It is very rare for atheists to convert to Islam.

Atheism is not a religion its being secular. Its a religion in the same sense that off is a TV channel.
Reply 123
Original post by Mr Big
not really, 4:89 is not about non muslims ('kuufr') its about apostates ie muslims turning away from islam- that you can seize them and kill them. the debate has been whether you are allowed to kill them if they apostate and leave you alone (4:90)

what you are really highlighting is the problems with the quran being unclear and contradictory, which is what leads to all this varied interpretation. if no convert out of islam was supossed to be killed, then really no such verse should exisit in quran. but it does and therefroe there is alway some muslims that will read it and act on verbatem

I do believe that the Qur'an is unclear (because of the linguistics in which it was originally written; even modern Arabs have trouble comprehending some of the verses); there are soooo many interpretations, many contradictory.

Reply 124
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Islam IS to blame for this incident. Muslims however are not. (Well, except those that radicalised the guy)

There are verses in the Qur'an that could be interpreted to permit the killing of non Muslims.
9:73 , 8:60

You will find others who wish to obtain security from you and [to] obtain security from their people. Every time they are returned to [the influence of] disbelief, they fall back into it. So if they do not withdraw from youor offer you peace or restrain their hands, then seize them and kill them wherever you overtake them. And those - We have made for you against them a clear authorization.

only in self defence.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 125
I do believe that the Qur'an is unclear (because of the linguistics in which it was originally written; even modern Arabs have trouble comprehending some of the verses); there are soooo many interpretations, many contradictory.

agreed, which is why in this thread i was asking how to deal with those that take violent interpretations and indoctrinate young muslims (which happens more than maybe you relaise). I t seems the most effective way is to attack the source it the radical imams shiekhs, clerics and accommadating mosques.
Reply 126

agreed, which is why in this thread i was asking how to deal with those that take violent interpretations and indoctrinate young muslims (which happens more than maybe you relaise). I t seems the most effective way is to attack the source ie the radical imams shiekhs, clerics and accommadating mosques.

Some things such as the stuff about the Prophet's actions like marrying a young girl, evidence of males being worth twice that of females, unequal divorce rights, punishments for apostates and that Allah is pleased when muslims enforce this are not considered contradictory.

Psychologically it would be very hard for people instructed by their parents to follow islam as children to agree to this (assuming they are the good muslims who do not terrorism). It is also going to be very hard for them to leave islam. The same applies to people of different faiths. Mammals tend to imitate their parents to gain knowledge for survival biologically and children learn by imitating their parents.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 128
Original post by MsCourtney
Some things such as the stuff about the Prophet's actions like marrying a young girl, evidence of males being worth twice that of females, unequal divorce rights, punishments for apostates and that Allah is pleased when muslims enforce this are not considered contradictory.

Psychologically it would be very hard for people instructed by their parents to follow islam as children to agree to this (assuming they are the good muslims who do not terrorism). It is also going to be very hard for them to leave islam. The same applies to people of different faiths. Mammals tend to imitate their parents to gain knowledge for survival biologically and children learn by imitating their parents.

How young? Unclear.
"being worth"? Self worth isn't all about how much money you have, you know. But anyway, back then, males were the only ones who actually needed the money, as they were the ones who were required to provide EVERYTHING for their family. For this reason, I'm not upset that I get 1/2 the amount that my brothers do. Because my husband will have to pay for my necessities, as my brothers will have to pay for their wives and children. Obviously times have changed, and so do situations.
Apostates and divorce verses please? ...I'll look up on them.
Of course theists are not stupid, we think for ourselves and I have had doubts as anyone would have. I actually know someone who is an atheist, was a Muslim. But what instilled faith in me again was the power of prayer, and how my family and I have overcome soooooo many physical and medical obstacles, and defeated the odds NUMEROUS TIMES. Some say it was extremely lucky, but I find that hard to believe. It's also something innate. It's not illogical or irrational to believe that there is a God when there's no evidence to suggest otherwise.
Original post by billydisco
Islam DOES have a problem- its problem is that its followers are WAY more "devoted" than other believers. This is the root cause of its problems. Yes I know every muslim isn't a terrorist but it would appear every terrorist in the world appears to be a muslim. There is a reason for this- its not pure coincidence.

The only solution to this problem is to ban Islam from the United Kingdom- simple.

I don't know whether to laugh or be offended by that last sentence. Ban Islam? Do you mean ban the presence of Muslims in the UK? And if so, what about those of us who were born/raised here? Do you suggest on deporting us all back to our native lands?
It's comments like these that make me feel like I'm not British, even though Britain is all I know.
How young? Unclear."being worth"? Self worth isn't all about how much money you have, you know. But anyway, back then, males were the only ones who actually needed the money, as they were the ones who were required to provide EVERYTHING for their family. For this reason, I'm not upset that I get 1/2 the amount that my brothers do. Because my husband will have to pay for my necessities, as my brothers will have to pay for their wives and children. Obviously times have changed, and so do situations.Apostates and divorce verses please? ...I'll look up on them.Of course theists are not stupid, we think for ourselves and I have had doubts as anyone would have. I actually know someone who is an atheist, was a Muslim. But what instilled faith in me again was the power of prayer, and how my family and I have overcome soooooo many physical and medical obstacles, and defeated the odds NUMEROUS TIMES. Some say it was extremely lucky, but I find that hard to believe. It's also something innate. It's not illogical or irrational to believe that there is a God when there's no evidence to suggest otherwise.
Of course you are free to chose your path as long as you do not harm others. Is there any particular reason that you attribute overcoming the challenges to "God"?In what sense do you find it a miracle that cannot be scientifically explained. In your place I would be thankful towards the doctors etc (I have had hard times as well).You might like to read this.(http://www.gossipcop.com/ricky-gervais-oklahoma-tornado-prayer-prayers-praying-twitter-controversy-debate-donations-red-cross/)

It is illogical because its not the non believer's job to prove it. See this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot)

Is there any particular reason that you would attribute your luck/divine intervention to Allah and not one of the thousands of other gods that mankind has believed / believes in like Zeus, Thor, Issis, the christian god ...

How young is clear. I just forgot what is mentioned I think it said 9 years old. In modern times this is called child abuse and pedophillia
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by GirlWithADream
I don't know whether to laugh or be offended by that last sentence. Ban Islam? Do you mean ban the presence of Muslims in the UK? And if so, what about those of us who were born/raised here? Do you suggest on deporting us all back to our native lands?
It's comments like these that make me feel like I'm not British, even though Britain is all I know.

I agree you cannot ban a religion and allow the others, nor can you ban all of them.

However religious indoctrination should be banned and considered a form of child abuse. Children should not be taught that they must believe X and Y that has no evidence behind it. Instead they should be taught about the different religious simultaneously and about the people that reject it as it has no evidence. The children should then get to chose and develop their individuality.

Why is it that when it comes to political views etc this is the case and the children chose what to believe but somehow religion (IMO its all mythology) has the privilege of indoctrination.
Reply 132
Original post by Mr Big
equally the mughals in north india couldnt convert all hindus and sikhs, so they allowed them to practice their own courts laws etc alongside msulim law (as long as they paid their taxes to the muslim kingdom of course)

Under various Mughal emperors Sikhs and Hindus were mercilessly tortured and killed for refusing to convert to Islam.
Reply 133
Original post by P.Kaur
Under various Mughal emperors Sikhs and Hindus were mercilessly tortured and killed for refusing to convert to Islam.

but they werent successful in converting the entire population of india ( as they had been conquering popualtions of persia, syria, ethiopia etc) In fact if theres one thing the britsh did in favour of india it was to eradicate muslim emporers.
Original post by Mr Big
The terrorists and your arguemnt is irrelevant becuase you both have claimed terrorist attacks is due to ouccpation but as has been pointed out to you about 15 times, islamic terrorism has been committed for decades before any of the invasions, so it seems its part and parcel of islamism.

The invasion of afganistan was a direct result of 9/11 and our extension there is a direct result of 7/7. im sure bin laden knew that would happen, but again i doubt he cared, he was willing to sacrifice muslims he had never met to make a crackpot political statement.

You can easily say 9/11 was the direct result the installation of US military bases in the Holy land and the US support of Israel and their brutal occupation of Palestine, the West Bank and Gaza.

You know, since Bin Laden actually said those were the reasons. You think 9/11 came out of nowhere for no reason?

You think people just wake up one day and decide to sacrifice their lives by hijacking planes and flying them into buildings for no reason?

There has been Islamic terrorism ever since there's been western imperialism in muslim lands. Pure and simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending