The Student Room Group

Russia 'outrage' at Azerbaijan's Eurovision snub

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22621553

A row has erupted between Russia and Azerbaijan over the Eurovision song contest, with the Russian foreign minister accusing the Azerbaijanis of vote-rigging.

Sergei Lavrov said Russia should have been awarded ten points by Azerbaijan, not zero.

He said the points had been "stolen" from Russia's contender, Dina Garipova.

''This outrageous action will not remain without a response,'' he added.

Please watch the video its great fun but i do particularly like the last line of the report... can we expect a Russian invasion into Azerbaijan in the coming days? Or maybe Belarus into Russia... the tension over the song contest, damn!
I knew it, WW3 will be caused by Eurovision.

Screw Azerbaijan, even if we put aside that ridiculous name they didn't give us any points last year.
This never would have happened if Terry Wogan still commentated it for the BBC.
Reply 3
Original post by thunder_chunky
This never would have happened if Terry Wogan still commentated it for the BBC.

I miss his commentary, the new chap is far to relaxed in it, although atleast this year..last year he did make some rather fun remarks about Greece and Spain whenever they received votes :rolleyes:

The only way that this could possibly make some form of sense is if the Azeri jury members rated Russia very badly thus making the 50/50 jury/televote average bad so russia does not receive any points.

The best thing the EBU can do is release the televoting/jury split results asap and release jury scores for each individual country etc. They normally reveal this anyway after a few weeks, but the quicker it is revealed the quicker it can be resolved tbh :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Genesis2703
The only way that this could possibly make some form of sense is if the Azeri jury members rated Russia very badly thus making the 50/50 jury/televote average bad so russia does not receive any points.

The best thing the EBU can do is release the televoting/jury split results asap and release jury scores for each individual country etc. They normally reveal this anyway after a few weeks, but the quicker it is revealed the quicker it can be resolved tbh :tongue:

I just find it amusing they got so upset over it i mean its eurovision... but the commentator had a point its become way to political these days ... eastern countries all vote for each other same with the north and same with the west and england well we just get ignored.. :P
Reply 6
Original post by cl_steele
I just find it amusing they got so upset over it i mean its eurovision... but the commentator had a point its become way to political these days ... eastern countries all vote for each other same with the north and same with the west and england well we just get ignored.. :P

England probably gets ignored because England can't enter.
I used to live in Azerbaijan for 5 years of my life. :redface:
Reply 8
Original post by Mechie
England probably gets ignored because England can't enter.

Im assuming youre trying to be funny because i said England instead of the UK right?
Reply 9
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I used to live in Azerbaijan for 5 years of my life. :redface:

What was that like ive heard very mixed reviews of the place.. :P

The Belarussian president complaining that the contest was too political made me laugh, since the only reason he is moaning about not getting votes from Russia are because of political agenda :tongue:

So far the only results announced were italian televote and swedish jury. Neither of which help the issue at all sadly.
What was that like ive heard very mixed reviews of the place.. :P

It was a very interesting experience and certainly worthwhile, but there is a large gap in society between the richest and the poorest, there was corruption in the government, and it doesn't have a great human rights record, as many are aware. The (former) and current president were almost hero-worshipped - nearly everywhere you drove throughout the country there would be large billboards with quotes from the president emblazoned on them, and almost every town had a "Heydar Aliyev" street or park. Having lived there as an expat, I lived in a compound and you were almost in a "bubble" of sorts, though. I moved back to Scotland when I was 13.
Stop the presses!

It turns out Eurovision is politically motivated... :eek:

Dear me. No wonder this world's up the ****ter when WW3 breaks out about a below par singer... At least with the first two wars we had some big hitters. Waiting for Boris to make a statement now...

Quick Reply

Latest