The Student Room Group

Likelihood of receiving a grant?

Okay having sent off all my information for SF I have applied for a grant, I am 21 going on 22 and have been self supporting completely since being kicked out at 17, I lived of my life saving and a part time job that brought in £400 per month. However since starting my current job in Nov 2010 I am above the rough "thresh hold" that seems to be established to be classed as self sufficient being £700 per month+ (please feel free to correct me) however when I leave for University in September I will be 2 months shy of the 3 year mark which is how it's classed. Will I have a chance?

I understand this is a grant I am applying for so chances are their requirement will be quite firm. However just for piece of mind really; am I likely to be given the grant even though I will be 2 month short of the 3 year mark when I start my course in September.

Help from Family is in no way possible, we are not on speaking terms. I'd just like to prepare really. If I am declined the grant I will have to consider whether this is a viable option as from what I can see my maintenance loan only just covers my accommodation.

Any advice or response is greatly appreciated.
Original post by Welshbo
Okay having sent off all my information for SF I have applied for a grant, I am 21 going on 22 and have been self supporting completely since being kicked out at 17, I lived of my life saving and a part time job that brought in £400 per month. However since starting my current job in Nov 2010 I am above the rough "thresh hold" that seems to be established to be classed as self sufficient being £700 per month+ (please feel free to correct me) however when I leave for University in September I will be 2 months shy of the 3 year mark which is how it's classed. Will I have a chance?

I understand this is a grant I am applying for so chances are their requirement will be quite firm. However just for piece of mind really; am I likely to be given the grant even though I will be 2 month short of the 3 year mark when I start my course in September.

Help from Family is in no way possible, we are not on speaking terms. I'd just like to prepare really. If I am declined the grant I will have to consider whether this is a viable option as from what I can see my maintenance loan only just covers my accommodation.

Any advice or response is greatly appreciated.

It doesn't have to be three consecutive years. The eligibility requirement based on the Student Finance website states you need to be working full time for a period of three non-consecutive years. This isn't just for the grant, it's for the income assessed part of the loan too.

If you haven't worked full time for three years, then your funding will be based on your parents income, which would mean contacting them and getting their evidence from them. You might be able to claim estrangement, however I am not 100% sure on the rules surrounding that, it is usually a solicitors letter or something from what I can remember for evidence, though not 100% as I said.

Other than that you can apply for the non-income assessed part, which is around £3500.

You may want to take a look at the SFE website, or call them to get a better idea on your situation.
Reply 2
The non-income assessed grant correct? £3500 would be more than enough for me to live on if I understood your correctly; seeing as the maintenance loan would cover my accommodation. I plan to work if I can when I'm there also just the grant makes life a lot easier especially if I can't find a job straight away. I have no seen any mention that I have to be working "Full Time" as far as I can see I just have to earn over £7500 per annum.
Reply 3
Original post by Welshbo
The non-income assessed grant correct? £3500 would be more than enough for me to live on if I understood your correctly; seeing as the maintenance loan would cover my accommodation. I plan to work if I can when I'm there also just the grant makes life a lot easier especially if I can't find a job straight away. I have no seen any mention that I have to be working "Full Time" as far as I can see I just have to earn over £7500 per annum.

No there is no non income assessed grant, £3500 is the non income assesed loan you get if your household income is too high or you don't provide details of it.
Reply 4
I have provided proof of working etc, however my question is will I still be entitled to the Grant even though I haven't earned over their "self sufficient threshhold" for all 3 years, when I leave in September I will be 2 Months short. Am I likely to still receive the grant?
no, if you are short of qualifying time they will not make an exception.
Reply 6
If you're estranged from your parents, the 3 years don't apply. The £7500 per year is just a guide. However, if you've spent the last 3 years living on benefits, (which for many, won't be £7500) that should be ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending