The Student Room Group

Why would you want a multi-cultural society?

As the title says, why?

I'm not racist and I love other cultures but if people want to come to this country they should come here with the aim of being a part of our culture. In the same way that I'm sure most of us would if we was to move to another country. I'm not saying these people need to forget their ways and I love that there is the opportunity to explore all types of religion in the UK but if people want to bring their culture, laws, way of life to the UK then that is just not cool. Especially when they are coming from a place which upholds the culture they wish to impose.

My main point though is that if every city and country becomes multicultural then culture will die out. I love travelling and experiencing other cultures so the idea of multiculturalism doesn't make much sense to me.

Can I add that I do understand some people have moved to another country because they had to, not because they wanted to. I believe most of these people are thankful for the opportunity to be a part of a new culture which saves them from the one they was once a part of.

Also this is NOT about RACE! I'm happy for all races to live anywhere they please.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
Because one is naive enough to think (hope) the world is like a Disney movie.. full of light, and colour, and love :h:

Unfortunately history has repeatedly shown, and most poignantly since the breakup of the Soviet Union, that mankind has not evolved to a sufficiently high state of dispassion (tolerance) or lost his capacity to discriminate (in the sense of indentifying: 'them and us') in order to make Multiculturalism the ideal that it is on paper, and liberals would have you believe it is in practice

People have religious, civilisational, cultural, ethnic, local identities and allegences (usually in that order) and those that stick to them too rigidly, or in some cases violently, only serve as to demonstrate innate incompatibilities and the failure of the general model of inter-civilisational (and inter-religious, where Islam is concerned) multiculturalism

How do you define 'civilisation' here? What would say is an example of a current one?
Its a nice idea on paper (like communism is)

the reality very different and the more its forced down peoples throats the more some people on all sides will reject it
Reply 3
Original post by pizzle223
As the title says, why?

I'm not racist and I love other cultures but if people want to come to this country they should come here with the aim of being a part of our culture. In the same way that I'm sure most of us would if we was to move to another country. I'm not saying these people need to forget their ways and I love that there is the opportunity to explore all types of religion in the UK but if people want to bring their culture, laws, way of life to the UK then that is just not cool. Especially when they are coming from a place which upholds the culture they wish to impose.

My main point though is that if every city and country becomes multicultural then culture will die out. I love travelling and experiencing other cultures so the idea of multiculturalism doesn't make much sense to me.

Can I add that I do understand some people have moved to another country because they had to, not because they wanted to. I believe most of these people are thankful for the opportunity to be a part of a new culture which saves them from the one they was once a part of.

Also this is NOT about RACE! I'm happy for all races to live anywhere they please.

Why do you say nonsense like that? You sound frightened of what the big bad TSR lefties will accuse you of....
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Foo.mp3
Roughly the same ones Huntingdon lay down in The Clash of Civilisations almost 20 years ago e.g. an approximation:

This isn't the deciding factor in human relations, but it contextualises inter-cultural friction/segregation and is where the buck stops when the **** hits the fan

Do you know what is funny- nearly every single border on the Islamic region is at war.....
Reply 5
IMO its not about whether we want a multicultural society. It just doesn't matter. What we need is tolerance between all cultures and in fact it would be best to not view the cultures as separate but as one huge human culture. If we divide people into groups, they will not be at peace.

People should not have this agenda of enforcing their beliefs on others, in fact they should not even care about the trivial personal choices of others.
Reply 6
Because diversification makes you stronger.

An overly simplistic metaphor, maybe, but look at professional football teams. Look at the diversity in the leading English teams. Imagine a team limiting itself to purely those players from within it's postcodes. It might have the odd strong link, but there'd be many more weak links.
Reply 7
Original post by billydisco
Why do you say nonsense like that? You sound frightened of what the big bad TSR lefties will accuse you of....

Because I am a lefty. At least that's what I've been told.

But the main reason I say it is because people have a right to believe what they like about how the universe was created and can take any stories which may seem to be untrue as fact if they wish to do so as long as it doesn't hurt people, take from others or infringe upon anyone elses freedom in any way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Because I am a lefty. At least that's what I've been told.

But the main reason I say it is because people have a right to believe what they like about how the universe was created and can take any stories which may seem to be untrue as fact if they wish to do so as long as it doesn't hurt people, take from others or infringe upon anyone elses freedom in any way.

Islam does though....

What other religion in the world is currently at war with EVERY other single religion?
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Because diversification makes you stronger.

An overly simplistic metaphor, maybe, but look at professional football teams. Look at the diversity in the leading English teams. Imagine a team limiting itself to purely those players from within it's postcodes. It might have the odd strong link, but there'd be many more weak links.

To be nit-picky, that's geographical, not cultural. Britain and France (i.e. the 'Western' civilization, as put in the image above) share a vast much in common culturally, regardless of geographical spread.

To keep with the footballing analogy, could you fit Messi into the Stoke City way of playing football? Some cultures simply do not mix very well.
Reply 10
Original post by MsCourtney
IMO its not about whether we want a multicultural society. It just doesn't matter. What we need is tolerance between all cultures and in fact it would be best to not view the cultures as separate but as one huge human culture. If we divide people into groups, they will not be at peace.

People should not have this agenda of enforcing their beliefs on others, in fact they should not even care about the trivial personal choices of others.

You're right it would be best not to view people as separate cultures but sadly the world is made up of lots of different cultures, some of which clash.

I agree beliefs shouldn't be enforced upon anyone either which is why I can't understand people wanting to be a part of one culture yet pressuring the people of that culture to accept the other (of course that culture should do as they please in there native land). The tolerance of cultures should be great and I'm sure most people are happy to tolerate other cultures where they originate from, if that's how they wish to live in that culture then that's fine and I'd love to experience it when I'm there. However while I'm experiencing this culture can you kinda take this foreign culture somewhere else.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I don't care about the label 'multiculturalism'. I see people as people, beyond their skin colour and beliefs. If they want to move around the world, let them.
Reply 12
Original post by billydisco
Islam does though....

What other religion in the world is currently at war with EVERY other single religion?

Right an I'm sure you would agree that Muslims should do as they wish in their own countries and if you want to experience Islamic culture you can go to an Islamic state and experience it.

Or I'm even sure you would agree (for example) that if they come to England they should try to be a part of the British Culture, while still practising what they wish in the privacy of their own home.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Roughly the same ones Huntingdon lay down in The Clash of Civilisations almost 20 years ago e.g. an approximation:

This isn't the deciding factor in human relations, but it contextualises inter-cultural friction/segregation and is where the buck stops when the **** hits the fan

I wouldn't agree with much of that at all. He's lumped Orthodox Christians together, Other western Christians together and all Muslims together.

Classing Papua New Guinea as 'western' whilst classifying neighbouring Indonesia as 'Islamic' is just plain retarded: does he seriously think that PNG has more in common with Australia than it does Indonesia, just because it has a Christian majority???

Another example: Ethiopia has far, far more in common with Somalia than it does Madagascar! And very little at all in common with countries like Ghana and South Africa :rofl:

Vietnam and Korea are Sinic? Good god :facepalm:

Don't even get me started on how he's divided up the likes of Suriname and Guyana... :rolleyes:

But yeah, talk about drawing arbitrary distinctions...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Right an I'm sure you would agree that Muslims should do as they wish in their own countries and if you want to experience Islamic culture you can go to an Islamic state and experience it.

Or I'm even sure you would agree (for example) that if they come to England they should try to be a part of the British Culture, while still practising what they wish in the privacy of their own home.

Most do though :confused: don't write all Muslims off because of the actions of an unstable, retarded few.
Reply 15
Original post by S4LM4N
I don't care about the label 'multiculturalism'. I see people as people, beyond their skin colour and beliefs. If they want to move around the world, let them.

Do you not think the world would be a lot less interesting if it wasn't for the vast differences in culture though? I don't want that to die out
Reply 16
Do you not think the world would be a lot less interesting if it wasn't for the vast differences in culture though? I don't want that to die out

What is the point of this thread then :confused:
Original post by Barden
I wouldn't agree with much of that at all. He's lumped Orthodox Christians together, Other western Christians together and all Muslims together.

Classing Papua New Guinea as 'western' whilst classifying neighbouring Indonesia as 'Islamic' is just plain retarded: does he seriously think that PNG has more in common with Australia than it does Indonesia, just because it has a Christian majority???

Another example: Ethiopia has far, far more in common with Somalia than it does Madagascar! And very little at all in common with countries like Ghana and South Africa :rofl:

Thailand and Korea are Sinic? Good god :facepalm:

Don't even get me started on how he's divided up the likes of Suriname and Guyana... :rolleyes:

But yeah, talk about drawing arbitrary distinctions...

One can nit pick over small parts of the globe being incorrectly labeled, but lets be honest this is a subjective judgement and we could debate for hours as to which group PNG would fit in.

Aside from your few nitpicks, which as a % of the globe come in at under 10% of landmass

This diagrams is generally correct, as the people of these certain groups all show lots of similarities in the defining factors such as religious idealogy etc.

Moving on;conclusion

I disagree with the OP that multiculturalism is inherently flawed due to the content posted, however, one must draw upon it's relevance and ask how can we overcome these issues in order to enjoy the benefits of mufti - cultural ism whilst remaining in cohesive communities.

We should ask ourselves what is best for our country and not what would be in line with our political ideologies.
Original post by S4LM4N

To examine the effects of multiculturalism on society and to (hopefully) draw conclusions on what form of multiculturalism ( if any) would be the best outcome for society.
Reply 19
Original post by S4LM4N

Because if the world was multicultural (like everywhere in the world was full of different cultures) then there wouldn't be any culture really. It would just be the same everywhere. I like the idea of experiancing another culture, but I don't want to experience say Spanish culture in Poland. I want it in Spain, if you catch my drift.

It's one of those things that I'm still toying with in my head which is why I sound a bit like I'm arguing on both sides of the fence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending