The Student Room Group

British doctor killed in Syria

Our beloved brother and friend Isa Abdur-Rahman was killed today (22/05/13) when their hospital was shelled by the brutal Syrian regime whilst providing medical aid to the Syria civilians.

Those who knew him personally, and those who have heard of him, will know what an amazing, inspirational, kind and deeply-caring person he was. It is quite hard to where even begin describing what an amazing person he was, and all of us are still in shock.

We plan to set up an ambulance in his memory, to carry long a cause he was always passionate about - helping and being there for those who need it the most.

(The ambulance will be bought and used by the registered charity Hand in Hand for Syria - the charity Isa was working with).

This doesn't seem to be in the mainstream media, but here is an example of a brave, selfless young man who was killed by the brutal, heartless Assad regime.

https://www.justgiving.com/for-isa

The situation in Syria is dire, the governments are stalling (particularly Russia who are arming Assad) whilst Children, Men, Women and Doctors are being killed day in, day out in the most brutal fashion.

Don't forget Syria!!!
Reply 1
I supported intervention at the start but now, the moderate groups have become far more extreme and I think any actions on the part of the West will just come back to bite them badly at the end of the conflict
Original post by Aj12
I supported intervention at the start but now, the moderate groups have become far more extreme and I think any actions on the part of the West will just come back to bite them badly at the end of the conflict

I have to agree here. If the west gets involved, then it will just end in tears. It is a horrible situation in Syria, and I hope it is resolved soon.
Reply 3
He's story is so sad, got loads of mutual friends with him, the day he died, just loads of teary and quite sad posts, he delayed his FY1 so he could go and help them with his medical skills :frown:

He also left a wife behind :frown:
This is my friend's cousin, she's kinda in shock about it :frown: so sad, he sounded like he was doing a great thing, regardless of religion or anything
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12

I completely agree, it's sad really. Ultimately a negotiated solution (and some form of power sharing) is probably what is necessary to end the conflict.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending