The Student Room Group

What do you think to ending January exams?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Instead of exasperate please substitute exacerbate and then post it on Change.com. The petition will get 100,000 supporters within 48 hours.
Reply 41
Original post by Bambi2001
Instead of exasperate please substitute exacerbate and then post it on Change.com. The petition will get 100,000 supporters within 48 hours.

Unfortunately it's not my petition. If you read the website it states that you must look for similar petitions before posting and clearly, the petition I linked is asking for the same thing as me, so I can't post my own petition. All I can do is try and make people who feel the same way as me aware of this one.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's not fair as current Year 13 get two goes at the modules where we only get one. :frown:
Original post by Liamnut
I think you should try reading it again. January exams benefit people who are in less than favorable circumstances, I lost a relative two days before one of my exams and this made focusing very difficult, if the changes that are being proposed do get implemented I will have to wait until this time next year before I can resit. Retaining the information needed to succeed in the exam until this time next year is going to be very difficult and revising for the exam I'm going to need to retake on top of all of the other exams that I'm set to take at the end of next year is going make it even worse. However, if I was given the opportunity to take the exam in January of next year there would not be as much of an issue. Also, if schools that don't do January modules do better, that's nice for them, but don't take the choice away from other schools. Also, if you're doing further maths, like me, you're going to have 6 maths exams at the end of year 12, on top of that, I'm going to have 3 biology exams, 2 economics exams and 1 politics exams. For a bit of context, each maths exam is 90 minutes long. As well as doing all of that, I've got to worry about reteaching and resitting the exam that I messed up early this month.

The removal of any retakes is more of an issue in your first point ... and the reality is that the small number of people that are affected in this way should not be influencing policy for the majority

Exam boards need to look at their syllabi ... there is no need to have separate C1 and C2 exams, ditto C3 and C4
I took double maths and only had exams at the end of Upper Sixth ... I managed, alongside the other A Levels I took

Recently I took an extra A Level in a single year and took all of the exams in one session

People only think that January exams are needed because they have become used to the re-take philosophy
Signed.
Reply 45
Original post by TenOfThem
The removal of any retakes is more of an issue in your first point ... and the reality is that the small number of people that are affected in this way should not be influencing policy for the majority

Exam boards need to look at their syllabi ... there is no need to have separate C1 and C2 exams, ditto C3 and C4
I took double maths and only had exams at the end of Upper Sixth ... I managed, alongside the other A Levels I took

Recently I took an extra A Level in a single year and took all of the exams in one session

People only think that January exams are needed because they have become used to the re-take philosophy

The fact of the matter is, it does not influence the majority, you do not have to take January exams as it stands, if the policy is implement you won't be able to take January exams. As much as I like hearing about other people's success story's, in this case it's not going to make me agree with you, I honestly don't feel there is any point in us having a long debate about why it's right or wrong and what should or should not be implemented as we're not going to change each others opinions, so let's stop.
Reply 46
Modular systems foster lazy students. I am sorry; the A-level burden is not huge, and as the qualification is generally for university entrance, it needs to be vigorous otherwise lazy people will end up at university, which is not ideal.
Original post by Liamnut
The fact of the matter is, it does not influence the majority, you do not have to take January exams as it stands, if the policy is implement you won't be able to take January exams. As much as I like hearing about other people's success story's, in this case it's not going to make me agree with you, I honestly don't feel there is any point in us having a long debate about why it's right or wrong and what should or should not be implemented as we're not going to change each others opinions, so let's stop.

Not giving success stories at all ... pointing out that the norm was one thing ... and people managed because the exam syllabus was designed for purpose ... and when you are used to a system then you can apply it to new situations

With the changes to modular syllabi had to change ... not for the better ... with the new changes they will have to shift back or to something different again

You gave maths as your example ... this is an easy one ... Core maths can be a single exam with a separate applied exam that gives a selection of sections and questions ... so number of exams is not a relevant argument

Of course, if as you say there is nothing that will change your view then feel free to ignore these points
Reply 48
Original post by Hypocrism
Modular systems foster lazy students. I am sorry; the A-level burden is not huge, and as the qualification is generally for university entrance, it needs to be vigorous otherwise lazy people will end up at university, which is not ideal.

I'm lazy for not wanting to have 530 minutes of maths exams, 180 minutes of economics exams, 180 minutes of politics exams and 200 minutes of biology exams (not including the practicals) all in june/may next year, on top of the resit I am going to have to do due to personal circumstances. Have you done A-levels yourself? Honestly, the whole of my politics AS was self taught, so too was maths. I'm not just saying that, the classes were mental, people would shoot you with staple guns and the teachers just told you to read pages from your text books. I think they need to review teaching, not examination.

In no way am I saying all teachers are bad, but it is true that some teachers are completely inadequate. A head teacher actually said to the education secretary, Michael Grove, that teachers have to worry about constant ofstead inspections, the point is, they shouldn't have to worry! The level of teaching should be high, irrespective of whether or not there is an inspector in the classroom. However, this is an issue for another day.
(edited 10 years ago)
It wouldn't affect me, but gosh I feel for the people doing their A-Level's soon. Imagine if you miss an exam to ilness or something...... you would have to wait till next year to retake. What kind of stupid policies is Gove bringing in.
Reply 50
Original post by Liamnut
I'm lazy for not wanting to have 530 minutes of maths exams, 180 minutes of economics exams, 180 minutes of politics exams and 200 minutes of biology exams (not including the practicals) all in june/may next year, on top of the resit I am going to have to do due to personal circumstances. Have you done A-levels yourself?

I did IB; so I had what you described above for 6 subjects all within about a week and a half. In comparison, modular exams are not rigorous and don't provide the correct mindset to study or the correct skills. Today I sat three hours of exams and I still have an hour left in the subject, and 5 other subjects with similar time frames. If you "don't want" to sit 3 hours of economics exams, you are going to struggle at university where a single exam can be that long.

I think that is an exaggeration because people are often more likely to be lazy at the start of the year if they didn't have exams till the Summer( the exams not till summer sir lots of time left) I can just imagine it happening.Modular Exams keeps students working throughout the year, although it is true that you would have to work much harder in Summer with Linear exams.

The scrapping of Year 12 exams, as was previously mentioned, is a much much more serious issue and although it won't affect me I am seriously concerned at the terrible idea but fortunately, we have a lot more time to get that decision reversed because it will not happen for 2-3 years I think but this change will take place in January 2014 not leaving much time for the decision to be changed.

I think the petition would have had many many more signatures if it was about how Gove should be sacked because virtually all of his ideas are ridiculous and it appears as though the vast majority are against him with several votes of no confidence form teaching unions and universities but he still hasn't been sacked.
Reply 52
And I want a free pass into Cambridge and SS in STEP II and III.

Oh wait, I have to work hard for that.
Reply 53
I did IB; so I had what you described above for 6 subjects all within about a week and a half. In comparison, modular exams are not rigorous and don't provide the correct mindset to study or the correct skills. Today I sat three hours of exams and I still have an hour left in the subject, and 5 other subjects with similar time frames. If you "don't want" to sit 3 hours of economics exams, you are going to struggle at university where a single exam can be that long.

My brother if actually doing an economics degree at Southampton and he said that it is easier than A-levels. He didn't do further maths. The point is not that I have to sit that many hours of economics exams, it's that I've got to sit 18 hours of exams in total at the end of the year. I also know an international student who sat an IB in maths, it's really not much harder than GCSE, I have the textbook.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Dalek1099
I think that is an exaggeration because people are often more likely to be lazy at the start of the year if they didn't have exams till the Summer( the exams not till summer sir lots of time left) I can just imagine it happening.Modular Exams keeps students working throughout the year, although it is true that you would have to work much harder in Summer with Linear exams.

The scrapping of Year 12 exams, as was previously mentioned, is a much much more serious issue and although it won't affect me I am seriously concerned at the terrible idea but fortunately, we have a lot more time to get that decision reversed because it will not happen for 2-3 years I think but this change will take place in January 2014 not leaving much time for the decision to be changed.

I think the petition would have had many many more signatures if it was about how Gove should be sacked because virtually all of his ideas are ridiculous and it appears as though the vast majority are against him with several votes of no confidence form teaching unions and universities but he still hasn't been sacked.

I support both, the scrapping of modules and year 12 exams. If people are lazy during the first year, they don't deserve a place at a university, at least not a good one, because they simply don't have the right attitude towards study. I think it would produce better quality students.
Reply 55
Original post by Liamnut
My brother if actually doing an economics degree at Southampton and he said that it is easier than A-levels. He didn't do further maths. The point is not that I have to sit that many hours of economics exams, it's that I've got to sit 18 hours of exams in total at the end of the year. I also know an international student who sat an IB in maths, it's really not much harder than GCSE, I have the textbook.

1) Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.
2) Try looking at the higher level papers instead of maths studies.
Reply 56
Oh get over it, if you can't cope with having to do A Level exams in summer then how the hell are you ever going to cope with undergraduate/postgradute work at university?
Reply 57
1) Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.
2) Try looking at the higher level papers instead of maths studies.

Maths is one of the hardest A-levels. IB maths is easier than A-level maths. So, IBs are easier. Also, it's not an anecdote, she didn't just sit one IB, she sat six, apparently do you don't go into very much depth at all. The fact that you haven't sat A-levels yourself means I don't really value what you have to say, I mean that in the nicest way possible, but I'm being blunt, I don't really feel like you have the right to comment on the issue at hand.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by bertstare
Oh get over it, if you can't cope with having to do A Level exams in summer then how the hell are you ever going to cope with undergraduate/postgradute work at university?

Pretty sure you don't have 18 hours of exam at the end of your first year at UNI, I'm going to next year. As I said, that doesn't include practical exams. I think of education as a ladder, as you climb, things get harder, as it should be. With the removal of January exams that ladder will be broken. They need to review teaching, not examination.
Original post by Liamnut
Maths is one of the hardest A-levels. IB maths is easier than A-level maths. So, IBs are easier. Also, it's not an anecdote, she didn't just sit one IB, she sat six, apparently do you don't go into very much depth at all.

Oh dear ... this is so not true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending