The Student Room Group

If a nurse had HIV, would you have issues with being treated by her?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I would be more worried treating an HIV positive patient than be treated by an HIV positive nurse. It is not like nurses routinely splash their bodily fluids about the place.
only if she tried to kiss it better.
You wouldn't know if the nurse had HIV or not. (can you ask? I've never thought to) but my answer is I don't know. Depends on the situation. If it's a scenario where it can be transmitted etc then no. Otherwise... Probably wouldnt mind.
Reply 63
surely there's only a risk if the nurse were to bleed on you? I don't think I'd mind tbh, it seems so unlikely that anything risky would occur.
Reply 64
I'd have a problem with it.
Reply 65
Original post by Becca-Sarah
No, with the current available drugs you can control HIV so you can live a long and relatively normal life, Diabetes is the one that you can attempt to control but end up with a shortened life with eye, kidney, heart and nerve damage.

no, many people live a normal life with diabetes. many children have type 1 and if it is looked after then they should have a normal life expectancy. its only when people dont take care of it that they have serious problems. it is usually people with type 2 who develop this through lifestyle/obesity etc (not all but generally) who have health problems because of it and not taking proper care of their condition

if you are HIV postive, you cannot live a normal life. apart from the immune deficiency problems and constantly being ill and eventually dying of aids, pneumonia or toxoplasmosis, etc your quality of life will be affected significantly.

1. unless you meet someone else with HIV or a very rare person who is willing to risk catching it, you will most likely never have another relationship (unless your selfish enough to not tell them) and die alone.

2. you can never (or rather, should never) have children naturally- as they will be born with HIV, you will never be allowed to adopt or foster if you have HIV so any plans of becoming a parent will be over.

3. many countries will not allow HIV+ people to get a visa to travel there. so your chances of seeing the world are virtually zero

4. some types of employment ask for disclosure of HIV status and medical history check. if there are two of you going for a job, you have HIV and they dont- guess who will get the job? it may be classed as discrimination, but it still happens.

these four points apply to people with HIV, but not diabetes. you may have to pay more for medical insurance to go abroad and may worry about future children developing diabetes, but this can happen even if you are just a carrier of it. theres a big difference between that and the four points above.

whatever anti-discrimination legislation is introduced in the UK, people with HIV will be discriminated against. people may see you as having the plague or being the living dead or being dirty. its a shame but its what happens.

i could learn to live with diabetes, but not HIV.
Reply 66
Original post by Cattty
no, many people live a normal life with diabetes. many children have type 1 and if it is looked after then they should have a normal life expectancy. its only when people dont take care of it that they have serious problems. it is usually people with type 2 who develop this through lifestyle/obesity etc (not all but generally) who have health problems because of it and not taking proper care of their condition

if you are HIV postive, you cannot live a normal life. apart from the immune deficiency problems and constantly being ill and eventually dying of aids, pneumonia or toxoplasmosis, etc your quality of life will be affected significantly.

1. unless you meet someone else with HIV or a very rare person who is willing to risk catching it, you will most likely never have another relationship (unless your selfish enough to not tell them) and die alone.

2. you can never (or rather, should never) have children naturally- as they will be born with HIV, you will never be allowed to adopt or foster if you have HIV so any plans of becoming a parent will be over.

3. many countries will not allow HIV+ people to get a visa to travel there. so your chances of seeing the world are virtually zero

4. some types of employment ask for disclosure of HIV status and medical history check. if there are two of you going for a job, you have HIV and they dont- guess who will get the job? it may be classed as discrimination, but it still happens.

these four points apply to people with HIV, but not diabetes. you may have to pay more for medical insurance to go abroad and may worry about future children developing diabetes, but this can happen even if you are just a carrier of it. theres a big difference between that and the four points above.

whatever anti-discrimination legislation is introduced in the UK, people with HIV will be discriminated against. people may see you as having the plague or being the living dead or being dirty. its a shame but its what happens.

i could learn to live with diabetes, but not HIV.

I'm about to go to bed so can't address all of these points but just quickly:

1. How many people do you know with HIV? With the right treatment you can live a relatively normal life. Drug advances happen all the time.You will not necessarily be ill all time time, and you may not develop AIDS.

2. Sensationalist rubbish like "you will die alone" is not fact. It is difficult to have a relationship if you are HIV positive, but sex is not everything for someone people and they manage in a variety of ways.

3. I don't know what you mean by having children naturally - do you mean a vaginal birth or just not ever being pregnant? If someone with HIV is pregnant, they can continue treatment in pregnancy and if their viral count is low then the risk of transmission is also low. Saying they will be born with HIV is rubbish.

3. Again - "your chances of seeing the world are virtually zero." What are you basing this on? Yes your insurance may be more expensive. This article from 2011 gives a brief overview. Its hardly the whole world.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Untitled-132.jpg

I could comment on the rest but i'm too tired. Be careful when you state opinion as fact.
For doing blood pressure, taking bloods, scans etc I'd have no issue at all. If it was invasive surgery, I'd be a little apprehensive, but I'd trust that the right precautions are taken. I mean, I don't think I'd want to know if it was a case of the basic stuff I tend to have done in hospital - bloods, temperature, scans etc - because I don't think it's important. In terms of surgery I'd prefer someone without HIV, but if they're the best person for the job, they're the best person for a reason.
Reply 68
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Going back to the original idea. I would not be comfortable with a HIV-positive nurse. But would probably accept it if it was some kind of minor support which does not involve either of our fluids (surgery, injections and so on are completely out).

The reason is, that HIV/AIDS is not some 'lifestyle' that people shouldn't discriminate against. It's a disease with serious implications, and I think the idea that we shouldn't treat them different is beyond absurd. As long as there is a risk of infection (no matter how minor), it should be avoided. It's the same reason they don't smoke in hospitals, the patients probably won't get lung cancer from their brief visit, but the minor chance is still significant enough to warrant worry.

Erm that's a bit of a naive way to explain no-smoking in hospitals...

As already pointed out, I can't imagine a situation in which a healthcare professional such as a nurse or HCA would be in a position to infect me with a blood-borne virus, so it would be a bit irrational to object on those grounds. Or that's my opinion anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by euphful
Erm that's a bit of a naive way to explain no-smoking in hospitals...

I agree, it isn't a perfect analogy. But the point is, a HIV/AIDS nurse runs the risk of infecting a patient, even if that chance is very very small. Of course this only really applies to work involving bodily fluids, and I personally would not feel comfortable with a HIV/AIDS positive anybody handling any fluid that is going to enter my body.
Reply 70
Original post by Sarky
I'm about to go to bed so can't address all of these points but just quickly:

1. How many people do you know with HIV? With the right treatment you can live a relatively normal life. Drug advances happen all the time.You will not necessarily be ill all time time, and you may not develop AIDS.

2. Sensationalist rubbish like "you will die alone" is not fact. It is difficult to have a relationship if you are HIV positive, but sex is not everything for someone people and they manage in a variety of ways.

3. I don't know what you mean by having children naturally - do you mean a vaginal birth or just not ever being pregnant? If someone with HIV is pregnant, they can continue treatment in pregnancy and if their viral count is low then the risk of transmission is also low. Saying they will be born with HIV is rubbish.

3. Again - "your chances of seeing the world are virtually zero." What are you basing this on? Yes your insurance may be more expensive. This article from 2011 gives a brief overview. Its hardly the whole world.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Untitled-132.jpg

I could comment on the rest but i'm too tired. Be careful when you state opinion as fact.

1. HIV attacks the immune system. (human immunodeficincy virus) whatever medication you are on, you will still have a lowered immune system and more likely to get ill.

2, would you get into a relationship with someone with HIV? as i said it would take a very rare HIV- person to get into a relationship with a HIV+ person. sex isnt everything, but there is very little chance you will meet someone who is ok with you having HIV, doesnt want sex, oh yeah and you like and find attractive etc. that may not be a fact, but looking at it logically, you have very little chance of meeting someone.

3. i ment being pregnant at all, yes there is a chance you may not pass it on, but should you really take that chance? could you live with yourself after knowing youve infected your child with a lifelong incuable disease?

3 heres some info on HIV and travel- http://www.aidsmap.com/Travel-restrictions/page/1504507/ it is far more than just paying more for health insurance. some countries require HIV testing if you are in the country for longer than a set amount of time, some refuse entry altogether. many insurace compaines dont cover pre-existing conditions and some may refuse to insure you id you have HIV. again, officially people will make out that they dont discriminate, but in reality they do.

the point i was making is that HIV will affect your life far more than diabetes
you mean nurse assistants? Nurses have managed to get through assessments on every single placement which requires demonstrating their skills.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Cattty
1. HIV attacks the immune system. (human immunodeficincy virus) whatever medication you are on, you will still have a lowered immune system and more likely to get ill.

2, would you get into a relationship with someone with HIV? as i said it would take a very rare HIV- person to get into a relationship with a HIV+ person. sex isnt everything, but there is very little chance you will meet someone who is ok with you having HIV, doesnt want sex, oh yeah and you like and find attractive etc. that may not be a fact, but looking at it logically, you have very little chance of meeting someone.

3. i ment being pregnant at all, yes there is a chance you may not pass it on, but should you really take that chance? could you live with yourself after knowing youve infected your child with a lifelong incuable disease?

3 heres some info on HIV and travel- http://www.aidsmap.com/Travel-restrictions/page/1504507/ it is far more than just paying more for health insurance. some countries require HIV testing if you are in the country for longer than a set amount of time, some refuse entry altogether. many insurace compaines dont cover pre-existing conditions and some may refuse to insure you id you have HIV. again, officially people will make out that they dont discriminate, but in reality they do.

the point i was making is that HIV will affect your life far more than diabetes

No the point was, you were using absolutes as fact. Which is not helpful or even true. Saying that people will react in a certain way or that they cannot do things is not true. They are more likely to pass it on than someone who doesn't have it. They are more likely to become ill, they are more likely to have find it harder to have a relationship. If you'd said that i'd have no problem with it. But you didn't did you?
Okay firstly, some of you idiots need to stfu about diabetes - what relevance does that have to this thread? Secondly, whether or not I would have issues with a hiv nurse treating me depends entirely on what they were doing.
Reply 74
Original post by civilstudent
you mean nurse assistants? Nurses have managed to get through assessments on every single placement which requires demonstrating their skills.

Non-registered staff such as Health Care Assistants are not able to carry out procedures such as venepuncture, cannulation, ECGs etc until they've completed adequate competencies and undergone assessment with highly trained registered nursing staff. Not sure I understand your inference.

As far as I'm aware, student nurses are not permitted to undertake those tasks until they are qualified, due to each separate NHS Trust having their own competencies and training programmes in relation to these. That is to say, student nurses will not undergo venepuncture or cannulation (the most common invasive procedure nurses will perform) training until they are registered and employed by a specific NHS Trust and it is deemed an appropriate extension to their role, the same as non-registered staff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
You shouldn't be allowed in the country if you HIV let alone be a nurse.
No if this person is going to save my life or make me better, I don't care what they have.
Original post by wildrover
You shouldn't be allowed in the country if you HIV let alone be a nurse.

Some people are born with it..... theres no reason why they can't perform most duties as a nurse.
Original post by SloaneRanger
Some people are born with it..... theres no reason why they can't perform most duties as a nurse.

Tough, we shouldn't be letting people from outside the UK move here when they are carrying a disease they can pass on to other. Those who were born here should have a job were there is less chance of them infecting someone.
Reply 79
As far as I know it takes a lot of blood for HIV to be transferred, and even if that amount of blood is transferred if you immediately take anti-retroviral drugs you won't get it, but I could be wrong.

Personally idc if the nurse is HIV positive or not, why would her blood end up in me? Haha.

Original post by Rob da Mop
Probably would be fine with it. Having gone through all the occupational health things while applying to medical school it seems that, for medical students at least, there is a system for people with serious bloodborne infections like HIV whereby they are qualified but not allowed to perform invasive procedures (eg surgery). Seems reasonable enough to me.

Haha you also been turned into the human pin cushion that are new medicine and dentistry students?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending