The Student Room Group

Volunteering Abroad - Advice Please!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kate85827820
Hi all,
I'm headed down to London for an ICS Raleigh assessment day on Wednesday. Excited but also terrified I won't get in! You fill in the online application and they seem to get back to you pretty quickly, I said I'd prefer to work with VSO or Raleigh.
Having researched a lot of international volunteering opportunities for my gap year this is definitely the best i've come across and in my personal opinion you get a lot for your money (or in my case lack of), as it's aimed at giving everyone equal chances. Fingers crossed!

Best of luck Kate! Like I said to someone else it's pretty much just a number of team building exercises. Are you at the Buddhist Centre? (Jamyang or something like that). Everyone is friendly and they make a good effort to make everyone comfortable.
Original post by hanki92
Okay, I understand. Would they accept two friends though, if the two of you applied together? Would they split the two friends up?

I think you'd be best pretending you didn't know eachother. I'm not sure why but I'm pretty sure they're not to keen on it. Maybe because they don't want people secluding themselves or just want everyone to be in the same position.

I believe there are 90 people going away this summer and you don't have much say in whether you go to India, Nicaragua or Tanzania. And even if you did get the same country you're split into groups of 12, 6 English people (including 1 team leader) and 6 Indian people (including 1 team leader). So it doesn't look like you'd be together.
Original post by mollyx
What kind of volunteer work did you do?? As i'm under 18. so theres few volunteer opportunities open to me :frown:
I would love to be accepted onto it!! How far in advance did you apply? Thank you for your help! :smile:

Hi Molly

I've been looking to volunteer with animals next summer and found this project for 16 and 17 year olds: podvolunteer.org/U18/wildlife-rescue-thailand-u18-volunteering.html - hope that's useful!

Quick Reply

Latest