The Student Room Group

Why Women are sluts and Men are players

Feminists often complain that men and women not being treated equally by others regarding promiscuous behavior. Women are chastised by both men and women for being promiscuous whilst men are lauded for it.

There is a clear double standard. A typical line of reasoning from feminists is to argue that women are being oppressed by the patriarchy. The patriarchy is the idea that the world in controlled by men and men use this power to oppress women. The line of reasoning is that women's sexuality is being oppressed by society by condemning promiscuous behavior.

This argument has a logical inconsistency though. If the world was controlled by men. And men like sex. Then why would men create a societal structures that makes sex harder for them to access. If men really controlled society they would promote promiscuous behavior so that they could get easier access to sex.

The reason why women are sluts is because men have the problem of not knowing whether they are the father of a child. From the perspective that the fundamental motivation for sex is to spread your genes then a man does not want to put the effort into raising a child that it turns out is not his. This problem of women having the children of one man and using another man to raise the child is something men have had to adapt to.

The response to the strategy of women being impregnated by one man and using another man to raise the child leads to men responding with a strategy of avoiding women who have multipe sexual partners. Men are designed to be disgusted by promiscuous women just like they are designed to be disgusted by rancid food.

Some people would argue in response to this argument that women would not employ such a devious strategy. However research shows that when women are at peak fertility they prefer masculine men (men with high quality genetics) and at times of lower fertility they prefer effeminate men more (men who are more likely to raise children). Consistent with the idea that women want to be impregnated by high quality genetics and find somebody else to raise the child.

Women often condemn other women who are sluts. They do this because a standard mating strategy of women is to point out the faults of other women. They do this to try and keep their mate from straying from them by pointing out the short comings of the competition. Women are aware that men are averse to promiscuous women and will point this out to make the other women look less attractive. This is why women are such bitches about each other in a way men are not.

The reason men who have multiple sexual partners are more attractive women is because women place a high value on social status of men. A man who has sex with lots of women is clearly highly thought of. He has high social status. This makes him more sexually attractive.

Edit : It is pretty stupid when people neg this when I do not actually pass judgement. I do not say it is morally right or wrong. I am just explaining why something happens. Not whether it is good.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

the reason (well one reason) female "sluts" are looked down on by some is that it's easy to be a female slut. It's hard to be a male slut. You either need to be born into the right body or put some serious effort into it if you're a male and want to be a slut.
(edited 10 years ago)
I knew a girl who called herself a slut, daft bat, and I think a lot of it has to do with girls in general want to create themselves as a beautiful, loving thing, so when they have sex with lots of guys, that kind of undermimes that idea, and they appear dirty. Plus, the guy might be thinking, 'ewww, I don't know where she has been' or 'ahhhh, goodness knows what has been in that mucky pit hole'. For men, women tend to say 'ahh, they're just men, they think about sex every 6 seconds, that's what they're like, so whatever, boys will be boys' kind of thing, so when they have sex with lots of women or men, there isn't much stigma or problems to go around.
Original post by Classical Liberal

The reason men who have multiple sexual partners are more attractive women is because women place a high value on social status of men. A man who has sex with lots of women is clearly highly thought of. He has high social status. This makes him more sexually attractive.

I don't know if it's just me, but if I know a guy who has had sex with lots of women (by lots, I don't mean 2), I find it really unattractive :/
Each to their own I guess...
Reply 4
When I saw your name, I knew you'd be spouting out A-level psychology type evolutionary based arguments.
I was not disappointed.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if it's just me, but if I know a guy who has had sex with lots of women (by lots, I don't mean 2), I find it really unattractive :/
Each to their own I guess...

There is a trade off here. A man who has lots of sexual partners of attractive in terms of sex. However in terms of a relationship he is not. This is because the man has proven that he does not stay around. Therefore he would probably not stay around to raise a child.

His sex attractiveness goes up. His mate attractiveness goes down.

Only women who think they are really attractive will think they have a chance at taming such a man. An unattractive girl on the other hand has little to no chance.
Original post by pandabird
When I saw your name, I knew you'd be spouting out A-level psychology type evolutionary based arguments.
I was not disappointed.

Never actually studied A-level psychology. I am an economist really which is why I find it interesting. It is essentially game theory.

I do wonder why there is such a thing as evo-psychology because in my opinion evo-psychology should be psychology.

It does such a fantastic job at explaining social interaction though. It makes logical sense and is backed up by evidence. Why disciplines such as sociology regarding social interaction is taken remotely seriously is beyond me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Never heard the key/lock analogy?

However on a practical level the reason for this is women control who gets laid and who doesn't. In a club for example you have 90% of the men vying for the attention of 10% of the women. The vast majority of women could go out 7 nights a week and bring home a different guy.

Whereas for a guy he might NEED to go out 7 nights a week to bring home just one girl.
Oh look, pseudo science being used to justify misogyny. So original. So interesting.
It doesn't really matter whether there's a biological source for it or not. We don't base our society on biological urges. If you find out your wife has cheated, you're instinctively compelled to kill the other guy, but our society doesn't allow that either.

We base our society on equality for all. Clearly all people are not equal, physically or mentally, but we treat them as such because its best for society and evolution has granted us empathy, because its good for us. Regressing backwards because "nature made it that way lolololol" is about as daft as suggesting we go back to our hunter-gatherer roots for the same reason. We spent millions of years evolving brains to override our slow, drudging instincts. We should bloody well use them.
x

What's most shocking here is: You have a girlfriend...
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Oh look, pseudo science being used to justify misogyny. So original. So interesting.

I didn't pass judgement. I just explained why something happens.

If you don't agree with the reasoning then be my guest to correct it but don't call me a misogynist.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
What's most shocking here is: You have a girlfriend...

Intelligence is sexy :smug:
Intelligence is sexy :smug:

Last time I checked misogyny (and misandry) isn't - nor arrogance for that matter
I didn't pass judgement. I just explained why something happens.

If you don't agree with the reasoning then be my guest to correct it but don't call me a misogynist.

Someone else has already explained it, but let me put it like this. It's natural to urinate when one feels the need, if I'm about and about, instead of waiting for a toilet, I should just go for it yeah, because it's natural? Or should I use my brain and intellect and work out what I should do?

Same logic here. I don't agree with your theory but even if it were true, people have intelligence
(edited 10 years ago)
Why the negative reputation? Your argument makes sense. It's all a matter of perception.
The reason it looks as if you pass judgement is because you open with "feminists try to argue this...they're wrong." Which dramatically misses the point feminism is going for. Feminism doesn't care where this male/female divide comes from. Feminism is just about fixing it. Your post implies feminists are "wrong" for trying to correct it. If this isn't your intention, fair enough, but the first part completely derails the argument to just being a rant against equality.
I partially agree with this. We have evolved to do anything possible to reproduce and have healthy offspring.

However I'd like to think they we've reached a point where how we behave is governed by more than just our genes. Biology is no excuse for judging people as "sluts" or "players".
Reply 18
Feminists often complain that men and women not being treated equally by others regarding promiscuous behavior. Women are chastised by both men and women for being promiscuous whilst men are lauded for it.

There is a clear double standard. A typical line of reasoning from feminists is to argue that women are being oppressed by the patriarchy. The patriarchy is the idea that the world in controlled by men and men use this power to oppress women. The line of reasoning is that women's sexuality is being oppressed by society by condemning promiscuous behavior.

This argument has a logical inconsistency though. If the world was controlled by men. And men like sex. Then why would men create a societal structures that makes sex harder for them to access. If men really controlled society they would promote promiscuous behavior so that they could get easier access to sex.

The reason why women are sluts is because men have the problem of not knowing whether they are the father of a child. From the perspective that the fundamental motivation for sex is to spread your genes then a man does not want to put the effort into raising a child that it turns out is not his. This problem of women having the children of one man and using another man to raise the child is something men have had to adapt to.

The response to the strategy of women being impregnated by one man and using another man to raise the child leads to men responding with a strategy of avoiding women who have multipe sexual partners. Men are designed to be disgusted by promiscuous women just like they are designed to be disgusted by rancid food.

Some people would argue in response to this argument that women would not employ such a devious strategy. However research shows that when women are at peak fertility they prefer masculine men (men with high quality genetics) and at times of lower fertility they prefer effeminate men more (men who are more likely to raise children). Consistent with the idea that women want to be impregnated by high quality genetics and find somebody else to raise the child.

Women often condemn other women who are sluts. They do this because a standard mating strategy of women is to point out the faults of other women. They do this to try and keep their mate from straying from them by pointing out the short comings of the competition. Women are aware that men are averse to promiscuous women and will point this out to make the other women look less attractive. This is why women are such bitches about each other in a way men are not.

Edit : It is pretty stupid when people neg this when I do not actually pass judgement. I do not say it is morally right or wrong. I am just explaining why something happens. Not whether it is good.

I think that there may be some valid points in gender politics, but I just don't see gender politics as interesting, important or relevant. There are some very burning issues today like mass immigration, and the forced ethnic changes, the bankruptcy of the west, all cause by Marxist political correctness which is a serious threat. Who really need to care about stupid labels for levels of promiscuity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by therisenmitten
I partially agree with this. We have evolved to do anything possible to reproduce and have healthy offspring.

However I'd like to think they we've reached a point where how we behave is governed by more than just our genes. Biology is no excuse for judging people as "sluts" or "players".

Yet again people think that little apparently 'intelligent' scientific theory's spoon fed by teachers can give the answers to everything. Yes this is quite accurate; if we were stags in a field. However we have developed things called brains and complex emotions which make your apparently 'intelligent' babble quite inaccurate. People also, clearly have different opinions on intelligence, because arrogance and the ability to swallow a dictionary is not attractive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending