The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London FAQ

Applying

University life

Accommodation

If you have any questions that are not answered, feel free to post them here. If the same questions come up frequently then I shall add them to this post, along with anything else I can think of later.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for that FAQ!

I've been browsing the imperial website but haven't found an answer to the following. I thought it'd best fit into this thread:

When do we have to pay tuition fees? Do we get notified by Imperial via E-mail that we have to pay or how does it work?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ibs2012
Thanks for that FAQ!

I've been browsing the imperial website but haven't found an answer to the following. I thought it'd best fit into this thread:

When do we have to pay tuition fees? Do we get notified by Imperial via E-mail that we have to pay or how does it work?

If you are an international student you'll be emailed an invoice from Imperial sometime in August. It will give you details on when the fee is due, how to pay etc.

If you are a home student you need not worry as the student loans company sends the tuition fee loan directly to Imperial.
(edited 10 years ago)
If you don't meet your firm offer, is that pretty much an automatic no?

I've got an A*AA offer for Electronic & Electrical Engineering. Let's say I got A*AB... is that probably a rejection?
Reply 4
Original post by ronald_mcdonald
If you don't meet your firm offer, is that pretty much an automatic no?

I've got an A*AA offer for Electronic & Electrical Engineering. Let's say I got A*AB... is that probably a rejection?

No one can say for sure as it depends on how many people meet their offer on the day. Imperial doesn't exactly have a reputation for being lenient though. In most cases it will probably be a no. Best thing to do is to just not worry about it until results day and see what happens. Your results may turn out ok.
Original post by Zottula
No one can say for sure as it depends on how many people meet their offer on the day. Imperial doesn't exactly have a reputation for being lenient though. In most cases it will probably be a no. Best thing to do is to just not worry about it until results day and see what happens. Your results may turn out ok.

Well, one can hope I guess. Thanks for the info. :smile:
guys im in a bit of a situation, and I would love to receive some advice. I have just finished my AS exams(maths, physics, chemistry and biology), I mite be applying for engineering - so I thought picking up further maths nxt year would be a great idea. then I realised that at the time of my application, I wouldn't have achieved a grade on it, since I have just started it. this made me rethink, is it really worth it?- how would it help my application - since I picked it up late, would it be one of my conditional offer? I would love to get advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation, or who know how this works.
Reply 7
Original post by precious maro
guys im in a bit of a situation, and I would love to receive some advice. I have just finished my AS exams(maths, physics, chemistry and biology), I mite be applying for engineering - so I thought picking up further maths nxt year would be a great idea. then I realised that at the time of my application, I wouldn't have achieved a grade on it, since I have just started it. this made me rethink, is it really worth it?- how would it help my application - since I picked it up late, would it be one of my conditional offer? I would love to get advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation, or who know how this works.

Highly likely that Imperial might ask for it in your offer (they do that to call people's bluff if they state things like Additional Further Maths, AEA, STEP, EPQs to try and get a leg up) - how many subjects are you planning to do at A2? I'm assuming you haven't done A2 Maths in advance...if you plan on dropping one of your ASes you may be okay, though if you plan to do all four A2s then you may be in for trouble (Imps WILL give out 4-grade A2 offers if you're doing four A2s.) It may also depend on your department, though.

IMO if you're confident you can comfortably achieve an A-grade in AS FM (with whatever subjects' workload you want to do next year) and don't mind Imps asking for it in your offer, then I'd say go ahead and put it in your app (with a "pending" grade.) Otherwise, you'd want to think a bit more carefully and strategically. Maybe do the material but don't sit it as an exam (and you can write about that in your PS), or don't declare it in UCAS if you won't be done for legally for not declaring (I'm not sure of the legalities atm.)

I won't deny that FM will help a fair bit with some of the initial first-year material. FM is NOT a must for engineering though, you can still get in without it - you just have to work harder in first year, where the curriculum is meant to bring everyone up to speed (we all have different pre-u qualifications so we need some common standards!)
i would be dropping biology and picking up further maths
Reply 9
i would be dropping biology and picking up further maths

Then you might well expect a three-A2 offer with an AS offer requirement stated, especially because it's FM and is related to engineering (you'd do well to mentally prepare yourself for that scenario, and consider an offer not requiring FM as a bonus.) If you get an interview, they may well pick up on that too - so have a good answer ready for why you chose to do what you're doing! It's not a very common route, that's why.

What engineering course are you looking to join? If it's BME (biomed eng) then Bio comes in handy; but it's no big deal whichever way you choose to go about it. Otherwise the other engineering streams don't have a bio component so you're okay.
Reply 10
Thank you for this thread!
I applied to Imperial for medicine this year, and was offered an interview. Ultimately though, I was rejected.
If I get very good grades (fingers crossed!) at A Level, say A*A*A, should I call them up to ask if they would reconsider? Some people are telling me thats how loads of people get in. Because I am going to reapply for medicine anyway, with (almost) the same personal statement, reference, and re-take the BMAT.. for what? I already jumped through the same hurdles last year!
And if I should call them up.. where exactly should I 'call'? Who exactly should I speak to? I bet they'd be inundated with calls on results day..
Reply 11
Hello,
Does anyone have any idea when the CAS number for international student visas will be issued?

Thanks a bunch
Reply 12
Do the sports facilities include a tennis court(s) by any chance? :P If not, would anyone know where the closest one is?
Original post by Gavin.
Do the sports facilities include a tennis court(s) by any chance? :P If not, would anyone know where the closest one is?

Not a ethos, if your into tennis recommend having a look at the tennis clubs:
https://www.union.ic.ac.uk/acc/tennis/ (general)
https://www.imperialcollegeunion.org/activities/a-to-z/669 (medics)

they would be your best source of information.
Reply 14
Hello,

I am currently an offer holder for Biomedical Engineering. However, I would like to switch to electrical engineering. Is such a switch possible? I already have my A -levels in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and I fit all the entry requirements.

Your answer would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by mek501st
Hello,

I am currently an offer holder for Biomedical Engineering. However, I would like to switch to electrical engineering. Is such a switch possible? I already have my A -levels in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and I fit all the entry requirements.

Your answer would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Transfers are not common, but do happen occassionally. For the very competitive courses it is probably not going to happen. Transfering within a department is fairly simple, but as you want to transfer between departments it is a bit more complicated and it may not be possible. You need to contact both departments and get them to agree to the transfer. I suggest contacting them sooner rather than later. Be prepared to accept that they may say no.
Reply 16
Should international students be expecting a welcome pack by mail of any sort?
Reply 17
Original post by IB Fanboy
Should international students be expecting a welcome pack by mail of any sort?

Same question here

Suppose a welcome pack will not be posted, should students from other countries expect anything at all to be sent to them after their place has been confirmed?
Reply 18

I was in almost exactly the same situation last year. Okay, so I did my AS levels in maths chem physics and history. Decided then that I wanted to study physics at uni so I needed further maths to stand a chance at getting into a top uni. So I dropped history. And then I decided to do the entire A level in one year alongside the other three. On ucas it asks you to list the modules you're expected to complete so you literally just list all the further maths modules you intend to take. I don't think it matters which modules you say you'll do. And your school will then give you a prediction, my teacher gave me a prediction based on AS performance in maths. Then my offer from imperial for theoretical physics was A*AA in either maths chem physics or maths further maths and physics. And my UCL one was AAB specified maths further maths and physics. So they didn't give a **** about chemistry.
Studying further maths will definitely boost your application especially as you're applying for engineering so I would recommend it. I don't think I would've been given an offer had I decided not to do further maths.
It's a lot of work and I didn't do so much for chemistry because most of my effort was focused on further maths. But it was worth it cos I got an A* :smile:
Original post by Kamric123
I was in almost exactly the same situation last year. Okay, so I did my AS levels in maths chem physics and history. Decided then that I wanted to study physics at uni so I needed further maths to stand a chance at getting into a top uni. So I dropped history. And then I decided to do the entire A level in one year alongside the other three. On ucas it asks you to list the modules you're expected to complete so you literally just list all the further maths modules you intend to take. I don't think it matters which modules you say you'll do. And your school will then give you a prediction, my teacher gave me a prediction based on AS performance in maths. Then my offer from imperial for theoretical physics was A*AA in either maths chem physics or maths further maths and physics. And my UCL one was AAB specified maths further maths and physics. So they didn't give a **** about chemistry.
Studying further maths will definitely boost your application especially as you're applying for engineering so I would recommend it. I don't think I would've been given an offer had I decided not to do further maths.
It's a lot of work and I didn't do so much for chemistry because most of my effort was focused on further maths. But it was worth it cos I got an A* :smile:

thank you, great wealth of information

Quick Reply

Latest