The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Already posted this as a thread but have had no response.. can anyone help me out with this?
Basically I will be starting my undergraduate degree this october and really want to apply for the Ash music scholarship. However the deadline for applying was in march and I only found out about this scholarship/achieved my grade 8 after the deadline. Does anyone have any idea if I can still apply for this scholarship once I am a student, ie to start the scholarship in october 2014. If anyone knows or could point me in the right direction of someone to ask that would be brilliant! Thanks (:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
Dear Imperial Offer Holders 2013.

Is there any chemistry offer holder looking to transfer to physics?
I am a physics offer holder looking to transfer to chemistry but the department are full but we could do an exchange.

Please contact me asap.

Thanks
Reply 22
Original post by mooomooo
Already posted this as a thread but have had no response.. can anyone help me out with this?
Basically I will be starting my undergraduate degree this october and really want to apply for the Ash music scholarship. However the deadline for applying was in march and I only found out about this scholarship/achieved my grade 8 after the deadline. Does anyone have any idea if I can still apply for this scholarship once I am a student, ie to start the scholarship in october 2014. If anyone knows or could point me in the right direction of someone to ask that would be brilliant! Thanks (:

I'm in the same situation! Except I haven't taken grade 8 (though I could've taken it several years ago... just thought of it as unnecessary). I think they have auditions at the end of autumn term for £100 bursaries. Though perhaps if you're really really good, i.e. at least as good as the Ash scholars, they might consider you... wanna go and beg together for a chance to audition, when term starts? :tongue:

What's your instrument btw?
Reply 23
Original post by scherzi
I'm in the same situation! Except I haven't taken grade 8 (though I could've taken it several years ago... just thought of it as unnecessary). I think they have auditions at the end of autumn term for £100 bursaries. Though perhaps if you're really really good, i.e. at least as good as the Ash scholars, they might consider you... wanna go and beg together for a chance to audition, when term starts? :tongue:

What's your instrument btw?

Aah it sucks I want to have lessons at the RCM!! Yeah I think I will audition for one of those at least! Haha begging sounds like a good plan, totally with you on this! Im just really hoping people in their first year can audition. .it doesn't make sense that prospective students are offered it when they may not even get in after :s
I'm playing grade 8 stuff on clarinet at the mo but not ready to take it yet :tongue: But I will be auditioning for singing as that's what I got my grade 8 in (: You?
Reply 24
Aah it sucks I want to have lessons at the RCM!! Yeah I think I will audition for one of those at least! Haha begging sounds like a good plan, totally with you on this! Im just really hoping people in their first year can audition. .it doesn't make sense that prospective students are offered it when they may not even get in after :s
I'm playing grade 8 stuff on clarinet at the mo but not ready to take it yet :tongue: But I will be auditioning for singing as that's what I got my grade 8 in (: You?

I'd be going for piano. I'm thinking of getting singing lessons too though, my singing is terrible :tongue: And I think we might be able to have lessons with the same teachers as the Ash people, just that the awards are different. At least, on the list of piano teachers here http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/arts/music/lessons some seem to be RCM/RAM profs. Not too sure about singing though, you could email them and ask - though I did email about Ash a few months ago and didn't get a reply, so probably better to go in person.
Reply 25
Original post by scherzi
I'd be going for piano. I'm thinking of getting singing lessons too though, my singing is terrible :tongue: And I think we might be able to have lessons with the same teachers as the Ash people, just that the awards are different. At least, on the list of piano teachers here http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/arts/music/lessons some seem to be RCM/RAM profs. Not too sure about singing though, you could email them and ask - though I did email about Ash a few months ago and didn't get a reply, so probably better to go in person.

Ah I'm so jealous that you are a good piano player! I have a nice upright at home and teach myself a bit..one of my favourite instruments but it's just so hard! Get singing lessons, it's a lot of fun and anyone can sing (: I think i've left it so late now that I'll wait and speak(or cry) to someone in person when we start!
Would be cool if you still manage to get tuition with a RCM professor!
I received my A level results last week which I'm not too pleased with, I got ABBC which potentially might become ABBB in maths,chemistry, physics and biology respectively.
Would these grades allow me to apply for chemical engineering at imperial and be a little but competitive in be application process?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Ah I'm so jealous that you are a good piano player! I have a nice upright at home and teach myself a bit..one of my favourite instruments but it's just so hard! Get singing lessons, it's a lot of fun and anyone can sing (: I think i've left it so late now that I'll wait and speak(or cry) to someone in person when we start!
Would be cool if you still manage to get tuition with a RCM professor!

Yeah it would :smile: I was thinking of finding someone to exchange lessons with (me teaching piano to someone who teaches me cello or singing), if you think you might be up for that :tongue:
Reply 28
Original post by Zottula
If you are an international student you'll be emailed an invoice from Imperial sometime in August. It will give you details on when the fee is due, how to pay etc.

If you are a home student you need not worry as the student loans company sends the tuition fee loan directly to Imperial.

What if you're a home student who didn't apply for student finance? The website says you can pay by cheque, but what's the deadline for actually paying?
Reply 29
Original post by kanra
What if you're a home student who didn't apply for student finance? The website says you can pay by cheque, but what's the deadline for actually paying?

You need to register with Imperial first using their student e-service. You should get an email about how to register this month. When you register you tell Imperial whether you are getting a tuition fee loan or not from student finance. Once you have registered, you'll receive your invoice shortly by email. The invoice will have the deadline written on it as well as information on how to pay.
Reply 30
Original post by Zottula
You need to register with Imperial first using their student e-service. You should get an email about how to register this month. When you register you tell Imperial whether you are getting a tuition fee loan or not from student finance. Once you have registered, you'll receive your invoice shortly by email. The invoice will have the deadline written on it as well as information on how to pay.

Understood! Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by scherzi
Yeah it would :smile: I was thinking of finding someone to exchange lessons with (me teaching piano to someone who teaches me cello or singing), if you think you might be up for that :tongue:

Sorry for taking ages to reply I saw I'd had a response and then forgot to do anything about it :tongue: That sounds like a really good idea, I love to play the piano I just haven't had any lessons since I was about 8!
Reply 32
I want to apply for Computer Science (Computing in Imperial) and I'll probably have an interview. Is it very important? I heard it's done in groups. Can I be rejected based on my performance in it? Is it only academic? Does Imperial care about it as much as Oxbridge do?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
Reply 33
Sorry for taking ages to reply I saw I'd had a response and then forgot to do anything about it :tongue: That sounds like a really good idea, I love to play the piano I just haven't had any lessons since I was about 8!

Cool, if you're still interested when term starts PM me :smile:
Reply 34
I would like to ask any past imperial offer holders that attained an A level in year 12 (i.e maths) how this affected their offer to imperial.

I have heard on numerous occasions that imperial wont accept early A levels as part of their offers

Did you get an altered/lowered offer because of it and do you think it made your application better?
Hello, guys, just have a question regarding interview.
I am thinking about applying to Mechanical Engineering and/or Aeronautrics. I just want to know if interview is necessary for anyone who gets or may get an offer? If yes, is there any alternative, like doing it using Skype, or they send you a test paper instead?
I am asking this because i need a visa to go to the UK, and it will be much more easier, if I do not have to be interviewed(to get in).
Thank you very much.
Original post by nmanvi
I would like to ask any past imperial offer holders that attained an A level in year 12 (i.e maths) how this affected their offer to imperial.

I have heard on numerous occasions that imperial wont accept early A levels as part of their offers

Did you get an altered/lowered offer because of it and do you think it made your application better?

WHAT!!!!(sorry for shouting)
I have 3 early A levels(applying this year)...
Reply 37
Original post by The nameless one
WHAT!!!!(sorry for shouting)
I have 3 early A levels(applying this year)...

I think you would be perfectly fine if you sat all 3 A levels in one sitting

imperial dont like it when you dont do all your A levels in the same year i.e
year 12 - 1 A level then year 13- 3 A levels
Reply 38
5A*4AB good enough? (A*s in maths, 3 sciences and history)
Reply 39
Original post by JPL9457
5A*4AB good enough? (A*s in maths, 3 sciences and history)

Yes absolutely fine. Your A levels are far more important though. Which subject is this for?

Quick Reply

Latest