The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Zottula
Yes absolutely fine. Your A levels are far more important though. Which subject is this for?

dunno, does it matter? (the subject is basically anything that you can do from taking maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at AS level)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by JPL9457
dunno, does it matter? (the subject is basically anything that you can do from taking maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at AS level)

Well someone studying the relevant subject could give some advice, more info about the course etc. Some courses are more competitive than others, but your GCSE grades are good enough for any course at Imperial so I guess it doesn't matter much.

A levels are much more important though. You have a strong combination but you need to get the grades. There's also the personal statement, reference, interviews etc.
Reply 42
Original post by Zottula
Well someone studying the relevant subject could give some advice, more info about the course etc. Some courses are more competitive than others, but your GCSE grades are good enough for any course at Imperial so I guess it doesn't matter much.

A levels are much more important though. You have a strong combination but you need to get the grades. There's also the personal statement, reference, interviews etc.

why from threads and the stalking pages am i getting the impression imperial do not care about GCSEs?
Reply 43
Original post by JPL9457
why from threads and the stalking pages am i getting the impression imperial do not care about GCSEs?

Because A levels are more important.
Reply 44
Original post by Zottula
Because A levels are more important.

obviously. but bearing other top unis, besides cambridge, care a lot about GCSEs. Oxford, durham, LSE etc. also, the birmingham medicine department will reject anyone with less than 8A*s. it just seems weird that imperial differ, why?
Reply 45
Original post by JPL9457
obviously. but bearing other top unis, besides cambridge, care a lot about GCSEs. Oxford, durham, LSE etc. also, the birmingham medicine department will reject anyone with less than 8A*s. it just seems weird that imperial differ, why?

Well different universities look for different things. Some place more emphasis on GCSEs, others on UMS scores at A level. Some will place a high weighting on the personal statement, others prefer to interview.

Also consider that the stalking pages are only a selection of the many people who apply to Imperial and may not be all that representative.
Reply 46
Original post by Zottula
Well different universities look for different things. Some place more emphasis on GCSEs, others on UMS scores at A level. Some will place a high weighting on the personal statement, others prefer to interview.

Also consider that the stalking pages are only a selection of the many people who apply to Imperial and may not be all that representative.

wouldn't the typical grades on a stalking page be higher than average of a typical imperial applicant? because people with poorer grades are less likely to post their application on a page full of people with excellent grades and it is TSR, most people on TSR is far far above average (nationally)

what do imperial put emphasis on?
Reply 47
Original post by JPL9457
wouldn't the typical grades on a stalking page be higher than average of a typical imperial applicant? because people with poorer grades are less likely to post their application on a page full of people with excellent grades and it is TSR, most people on TSR is far far above average (nationally)

what do imperial put emphasis on?

Possibly :dontknow:

It depends on the subject. All of them are looking for a high achievement at A level though, with many asking for A*AA or A*A*A minimum. If you look at the subject specific entry requirements, you'll find most departments have explained their selection process and what they are assessing.
Reply 48
I'm thinking about dropping chemistry to just physics, maths and further maths. Will I be disadavanted among people with 4 or do they not care? (or do they prefer it????)

I'm applying for theoretical physics
Reply 49
Hi everyone. Im from Malaysia and currently in the second sem taking an engineering degree in American Degree Program. Have an option for 1+3 or 2+2. My question is does ICL recognise this program since it is actually for Universities in US. Is it possible for me to get accepted to ICL?
Reply 50
Original post by Zottula
Possibly :dontknow:

It depends on the subject. All of them are looking for a high achievement at A level though, with many asking for A*AA or A*A*A minimum. If you look at the subject specific entry requirements, you'll find most departments have explained their selection process and what they are assessing.

also, i was told by two friends that their siblings were in the same year in my college, and in physics, because of the ISA, both of them and everyone else didn't get an A/A*. if everyone gets really bad grades (in the ISA) in both physics and chemistry, will imperial let me off with getting a bad grade in the ISAs as everyone else in my year will be doing badly? it's not like i won't do well (in the 4 written tests i will be doing in physics and chemistry), as long as i work hard, i averaged 99% ums in the 3 unit 3 science tests at GCSE
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Zottula

Applying

University life

Accommodation

If you have any questions that are not answered, feel free to post them here. If the same questions come up frequently then I shall add them to this post, along with anything else I can think of later.

I am a student from Malaysia , 19 years old and in the second semester of American Degree Program. Due to certain issues, i wanted to start back my tertiary education and i have choose Imperial. The question is, my highest qualification would be Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) only. Do you think I have the chance to get accepted since i've got 9 A's in SPM or would they reject me straight away because the requirement for students from Malaysia is at least a Sijil Pelajaran Tinggi Malaysia (STPM). Thanks in advance.
Reply 52
Original post by Erin Husin
I am a student from Malaysia , 19 years old and in the second semester of American Degree Program. Due to certain issues, i wanted to start back my tertiary education and i have choose Imperial. The question is, my highest qualification would be Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) only. Do you think I have the chance to get accepted since i've got 9 A's in SPM or would they reject me straight away because the requirement for students from Malaysia is at least a Sijil Pelajaran Tinggi Malaysia (STPM). Thanks in advance.

I'm not hugely familiar with the system in Malaysia. The best thing to do would be to contact the admissions tutor for the course you are interested in and find out whether they will consider your application. You'll get the most accurate information this way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Zottula
I'm hugely familiar with the system in Malaysia. The best thing to do would be to contact the admissions tutor for the course you are interested in and find out whether they will consider your application. You'll get the most accurate information this way.

Glad to hear someone knows about my country. The problem is the dateline will be on 15th of January 2014 yet I haven't started anything. Having difficulties with UCAS application and I really need someone to guide me. I can't contact ICL either since they're having holiday now. Do you know whether they will accept transfer student or not? Can I still apply as a freshman if I have completed a year in Malaysia? Thank you very much. You can't imagine how much I appreciated your help.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Glad to hear someone knows about my country. The problem is the dateline will be on 15th of January 2014 yet I haven't started anything. Having difficulties with UCAS application and I really need someone to guide me. I can't contact ICL either since they're having holiday now. Do you know whether they will accept transfer student or not? Can I still apply as a freshman if I have completed a year in Malaysia? Thank you very much. You can't imagine how much I appreciate your help.

Sorry that was a typo! I meant I'm not hugely familiar with the Malaysian system, although I know some stuff.

Which department and course is this for? I know that a lot of Imperial departments will not accept transfer students directly into second/third year. However, if you are applying for first year despite having already spent one year at another university this is probably ok, but this is if you meet the entry requirements.

I know the college is closed at the moment, but it's still worth emailing now because they will respond when they can. If you can't get your application in before the deadline, is waiting another year an option for you?

If you are struggling with UCAS have you seen the Applications and UCAS forum? There are loads of helpful stickies and articles that can guide you through the system. There are also a lot of very knowledgeable people on the forum so if you are unsure of how to fill in your UCAS form and can't find the answers then just ask and you will get help.
Reply 55
Original post by Zottula
Sorry that was a typo! I meant I'm not hugely familiar with the Malaysian system, although I know some stuff.

Which department and course is this for? I know that a lot of Imperial departments will not accept transfer students directly into second/third year. However, if you are applying for first year despite having already spent one year at another university this is probably ok, but this is if you meet the entry requirements.

I know the college is closed at the moment, but it's still worth emailing now because they will respond when they can. If you can't get your application in before the deadline, is waiting another year an option for you?

If you are struggling with UCAS have you seen the Applications and UCAS forum? There are loads of helpful stickies and articles that can guide you through the system. There are also a lot of very knowledgeable people on the forum so if you are unsure of how to fill in your UCAS form and can't find the answers then just ask and you will get help.

Oh man thats hurt haha jk. Fyi, i have only completed SPM which equivalent to O level. Now studying under the American Degree Program, i just don't think it suit me. Will start my third semester this january which means will be completing a year in the end of the semester. I've heard somewhere that if we have completed a year at any institution we will be counted as a transfer student. Is that true? What if i want to apply as a freshman? If they can accept my O level as the requirement i will surely apply as a freshman. Pss, i'm gonna apply for mechanical engineering.

Waiting for another year? I'm already 19 y/o. Don't think that even an option for me.

About the UCAS, do I have to submit my personal statement with the application? Do you think i'll be able to make it before the dateline? Can i know what do i have to do roughly for UCAS?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Oh man thats hurt haha jk. Fyi, i have only completed SPM which equivalent to O level. Now studying under the American Degree Program, i just don't think it suit me. Will start my third semester this january which means will be completing a year in the end of the semester. I've heard somewhere that if we have completed a year at any institution we will be counted as a transfer student. Is that true? What if i want to apply as a freshman? If they can accept my O level as the requirement i will surely apply as a freshman. Pss, i'm gonna apply for mechanical engineering.

Waiting for another year? I'm already 19 y/o. Don't think that even an option for me.

About the UCAS, do I have to submit my personal statement with the application? Do you think i'll be able to make it before the dateline? Can i know what do i have to do roughly for UCAS?

It won't technically be a transfer if you start in first year. I spent a term at one university and dropped out and then applied to Imperial. They did not seem to mind that I had previously been at another university. This was for a different department though.

Yes you have to submit the personal statement with the application. It is possible to do it before the deadline. When I applied several years ago, I did my application the week before the deadline (not exactly recommended, but still doable). This article will walk you through the UCAS system.

If I understand you correctly, you have O levels, but not an A level equivalent qualification? This won't meet the requirements for the course. The A level requirements for mechanical engineering are very high - A*AAA - A*A*A. So you would need the equivalent grades (I think for you this is the STPM qualification). Other applicants will have good GCSE/O levels as well as excellent A levels on top, so just O levels is not enough unless you have some additional qualifications that can be considered.

19 is still very young. Plenty of people start university in their 20s (I've met many like this at Imperial). And I know of people who go to university in their 30s and later.
Reply 57
I've been thinking about what you said. Well, i do have additional qualifications related to the field that i think will be able to contribute something for my application, but i guess it won't be enough since i only have O Level.

One last question. Do you think it's worth it to study in Malaysia for 2 years under the current program and have to pay around Ringgit Malaysia 10-12 thousands per semester and then apply for first year at Imperial?

About the age issue, i'm Asian (LOL me) so it's not acceptable to be a 19 years old without any achievement (my sisters graduate at 21 with first class honours but still considered as not good enough)

*I've decided to just continue with my current education plan though i doubt it will have a good ending. Goodbye Imperial, a dream that will never come true :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58

*I've decided to just continue with my current education plan though i doubt it will have a good ending. Goodbye Imperial, a dream that will never come true :frown:

I think it's the best thing you can do.
But try to get the MAXIMUM grades at what you are doing, then, you can perhaps apply to Imperial for a postgraduate.
Reply 59
I've been thinking about what you said. Well, i do have additional qualifications related to the field that i think will be able to contribute something for my application, but i guess it won't be enough since i only have O Level.

One last question. Do you think it's worth it to study in Malaysia for 2 years under the current program and have to pay around Ringgit Malaysia 10-12 thousands per semester and then apply for first year at Imperial?

About the age issue, i'm Asian (LOL me) so it's not acceptable to be a 19 years old without any achievement (my sisters graduate at 21 with first class honours but still considered as not good enough)

Ok I can appreciate the age thing.

Not necessarily a dream that won't come true. As the above poster has suggested, there is still postgraduate.

If you do have additional qualifications that would contribute then that may make a difference (I'm not an engineering admissions tutor though so I don't know what else they would consider and have much of an impact it would make), in which case it may still be worth contacting them. College re-opens on January 2nd.

However, I would personally stick with the current education plan and excel at that, but that's just me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending