The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
This may have been asked before so apologies if this is a repeated message!

I have an offer but I'm weighing up the pros and cons of living in London... How difficult/expensive is it to live in private accommodation in your 2nd/3rd/4th year? I realise you can flat shared to cut costs but isn't it still quite expensive in surrounding areas (Fulham, Hammersmith etc)? I'm also worried about travel costs, as I can't ride a bike for medical reasons so is there any private housing within a walking distance? I don't want to be getting the tube to lectures :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 61
Original post by GMT
I think it's the best thing you can do.
But try to get the MAXIMUM grades at what you are doing, then, you can perhaps apply to Imperial for a postgraduate.

i always get the best grades in my school. it's just that imperial was like a "must" since the previous generation in my families went there to study for postgraduate. as the last child, i was the only hope for my parent to break the tradition and go there for an undergraduate degree. i still haven't told them anything
Reply 62
Original post by Zottula
Ok I can appreciate the age thing.

Not necessarily a dream that won't come true. As the above poster has suggested, there is still postgraduate.

If you do have additional qualifications that would contribute then that may make a difference (I'm not an engineering admissions tutor though so I don't know what else they would consider and have much of an impact it would make), in which case it may still be worth contacting them. College re-opens on January 2nd.

However, I would personally stick with the current education plan and excel at that, but that's just me.

thanks for all the previous responses. glad to be able to talk to someone about this. yeah, i think i will just stick with the current plan :dontknow:
Reply 63
Guys. If i want to send them an email to ask about anything, whom should i send it to? Gracias!
Reply 64
Original post by Erin Husin
Guys. If i want to send them an email to ask about anything, whom should i send it to? Gracias!

Useful contacts for mechanical engineering are here (at the bottom of the page).

The admissions tutor would be the person to talk to.
Reply 65
Thanks Zottula!
Reply 66
Is it common for flat sharing with UCL students/LSE and other london unis?
Reply 67
Original post by Stickman
Is it common for flat sharing with UCL students/LSE and other london unis?

Is this in first year or just generally?

In first year the halls are for Imperial students only, so you won't be sharing with students from other London Universities. In 2nd/3rd/4th year most people move in with people they met on their courses or in halls. There's bound to be some people who have friends at other universities and ended up flat sharing with them, but I don't know how common that is.
Will Imperial give out multiple offers if I applied to two courses just at Imperial?
Reply 69
I just have a quick question. I came across this page http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/studentfinance/prospectiveugstudents/supportpackage#apply
Is this independent of the regular Student Finance? Imperial just gives £5-6000 to the poorest candidates?!
Reply 70
Original post by TSR561
I just have a quick question. I came across this page http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/studentfinance/prospectiveugstudents/supportpackage#apply
Is this independent of the regular Student Finance? Imperial just gives £5-6000 to the poorest candidates?!

Yes, it is independent of the regular student finance and is based on your household income. It is mostly to do with encouraging students to study in London who may otherwise feel they can't afford to live in such an expensive area as well as paying huge tuition fees. It makes things a lot easier!
Reply 71
Original post by Zottula
Is this in first year or just generally?

In first year the halls are for Imperial students only, so you won't be sharing with students from other London Universities. In 2nd/3rd/4th year most people move in with people they met on their courses or in halls. There's bound to be some people who have friends at other universities and ended up flat sharing with them, but I don't know how common that is.

Yeah I meant after the first year. I understand that first year is Imperial students only.

I also had a question regarding sharing a room. I would not prefer to share a room (i.e. I'd prefer only a single - not even ensuite, just a single room), and so if I state in my options that I don't want to share, how likely is it that I do end up with a shared flat?
Reply 72
Yeah I meant after the first year. I understand that first year is Imperial students only.

I also had a question regarding sharing a room. I would not prefer to share a room (i.e. I'd prefer only a single - not even ensuite, just a single room), and so if I state in my options that I don't want to share, how likely is it that I do end up with a shared flat?

Assuming that the application form has not changed recently, you can apply for 5 rooms and then select whether 'room type' or 'price' is more important to you.

A few people who apply for only single rooms will end up in shared rooms, however this seems to happen to people who apply for the cheapest singles and then state on their form that 'price' is more important to them than 'room type'.

If on your application you apply for all singles, and then state that 'room type' is more important than 'price', you are more likely to get a single room (although it may be more expensive than the ones you have applied for). The process is mostly done by a computer, so a written note that you really don't want to share a room is unlikely to achieve anything.

The only time they can make sure you have a single room is if you have some kind of disability/health problem and it has been recommended that you have your own room, or if you are under 18 when you start.

Most people seem happy with what they end up with though and usually get one of their 5 preferences.
Reply 73
Original post by Zottula
Assuming that the application form has not changed recently, you can apply for 5 rooms and then select whether 'room type' or 'price' is more important to you.

A few people who apply for only single rooms will end up in shared rooms, however this seems to happen to people who apply for the cheapest singles and then state on their form that 'price' is more important to them than 'room type'.

If on your application you apply for all singles, and then state that 'room type' is more important than 'price', you are more likely to get a single room (although it may be more expensive than the ones you have applied for). The process is mostly done by a computer, so a written note that you really don't want to share a room is unlikely to achieve anything.

The only time they can make sure you have a single room is if you have some kind of disability/health problem and it has been recommended that you have your own room, or if you are under 18 when you start.

Most people seem happy with what they end up with though and usually get one of their 5 preferences.

Okay thanks for that helpful advice.
Reply 74
Question: Do the rooms have wifi?

Some information of imperial's site say all the rooms have wired connection only while other places on the site say that some halls (southside, eastside, beit) have wifi for all areas.
Reply 75
Original post by Munrot07
Question: Do the rooms have wifi?

Some information of imperial's site say all the rooms have wired connection only while other places on the site say that some halls (southside, eastside, beit) have wifi for all areas.

Some do, some don't.
Reply 76
Hi everyone. Here i am again. So i've been talking to some education consultants and they told me that most of the UK universities will accept my current program as a pre U so if i want to apply i'll start as a freshman. Thats fine with me compared to going to US since im not familiar with the system at all (I have to choose either US or UK). The problem is, they also said that i can still apply before june 2014 so i logged into UCAS. Well its true for other universities that i've checked, but for imperial it said that the application has been closed and i have to apply for deferred entry which is in oct 2015. My question is, does imperial only have one deadline? Like if you didnt apply at the right time you have to wait till next year? When is it actually? And is it possible to transfer between UK universities? For example if i get accepted to other university for 2014 entry, can i ask to transfer to imperial for the same entry?
Reply 77
Original post by Erin Husin
Hi everyone. Here i am again. So i've been talking to some education consultants and they told me that most of the UK universities will accept my current program as a pre U so if i want to apply i'll start as a freshman. Thats fine with me compared to going to US since im not familiar with the system at all (I have to choose either US or UK). The problem is, they also said that i can still apply before june 2014 so i logged into UCAS. Well its true for other universities that i've checked, but for imperial it said that the application has been closed and i have to apply for deferred entry which is in oct 2015. My question is, does imperial only have one deadline? Like if you didnt apply at the right time you have to wait till next year? When is it actually? And is it possible to transfer between UK universities? For example if i get accepted to other university for 2014 entry, can i ask to transfer to imperial for the same entry?

The deadline for equal consideration was in January. Some universities still accept applications after this point, but Imperial don't generally seem to. So basically yeah, you have to wait.

It is possible to transfer between UK universities, but not all universities accept transfer students. It's not easy to do. There has to be a sufficient overlap between the two courses, they need to be of a comparable level and there has to be space on the course you want to transfer to, and you will need to satisfy any academic requirements they set.

I haven't heard of anyone transferring to Imperial, and I expect it's quite rare. So I wouldn't advise going to another university purely with the intention of transferring, as there's a good chance it won't be possible.

More about transferring here: http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/blog/registryfaq/tag/transfer/

(Might also be worth checking with UK universities themselves that your qualification will be counted as pre U).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 78
Guys I'm not sure, I've been skirting around this for a while now ever since I got my offer back in November (in the hope that I get into Cambridge, but unfortunately haven't). I live about 1.5-2 hours door to door (bus to station, a couple of tubes, maybe train, and walk from SK station to campus) from my house to South Kensington Campus.

What would be advisable to do for the first year? Live at halls or at home? I don't know about the costs abt subsequent years (maybe someone can help me out if its cheaper for second third fourth years)? Obviously it depends on how much financial support I can get

Thanks!

EDIT: Can anyone else shed some light into how much the student loan will affect you after graduation in terms of getting a mortgage or other loans etc? I've worked out that I will get just under £7,500 in loans and grants from IFS and Imperial. Am hoping for some sort of scholarship, cos I don't think this will be enough...

Original post by Zottula
x
Reply 79
Guys I'm not sure, I've been skirting around this for a while now ever since I got my offer back in November (in the hope that I get into Cambridge, but unfortunately haven't). I live about 1.5-2 hours door to door (bus to station, a couple of tubes, maybe train, and walk from SK station to campus) from my house to South Kensington Campus.

What would be advisable to do for the first year? Live at halls or at home? I don't know about the costs abt subsequent years (maybe someone can help me out if its cheaper for second third fourth years)? Obviously it depends on how much financial support I can get

Thanks!

EDIT: Can anyone else shed some light into how much the student loan will affect you after graduation in terms of getting a mortgage or other loans etc? I've worked out that I will get just under £7,500 in loans and grants from IFS and Imperial. Am hoping for some sort of scholarship, cos I don't think this will be enough...

If I understand you correctly, commuting from home to Imperial could result in a 3-4 hour round trip every day. Most courses have a pretty full timetable and you may have to go in most days 9-5, which means leaving home at 7ish, and not getting back again until after 7. You might find this pretty tiring, especially with the heavy work load.

Some people to commute to university, and they seem happy enough. But if you are the sort of person who is more social and wants to get involved in things, living closer to campus is better. You get to make new friends in halls, attend all of the hall social events and making use of the gym, student union, societies etc is also more convenient. Whether the cost of living in 2nd/3rd/4th year is higher or not depends on what sort of room you had in first year. The shared bedrooms (twin/triple rooms) are a great way to save money in halls, but when you move out in 2nd year things will be a lot more expensive. On the other hand, if you were in a single en suite for first year, you'll probably find something cheaper (although more basic) when moving out for 2nd year. I stayed in halls for the duration of my course, so I'm afraid I don't know much about private accommodation but maybe someone else here will.

The student loan shouldn't affect you in terms of getting a mortgage or other loans. Student loans don't go on credit files. Also the loans are repaid through the payroll just like income tax, so you won't be chased by debt collectors.

If you have more questions about student finance, we have a student financial support section - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=545

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending