The Student Room Group

Yr 9 Options - don't know what to take!

Hi, I got my option 'results' back and I got:
- Triple Science
- French
- Music
- D.T. (design & technology) - but I originally asked for I.C.T instead of D.T.

I would really like to be doctor, and I'm just really confused about whether I should stick with what I have or swap either Music or D.T for I.C.T.
I find I.C.T and D.T easier than Music though, but I love to play and I enjoy all my subjects.
Any suggestions etc. would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Awwwww I remember my year 9 days.........

Anyway, since you want to be a doctor, I think it'd be really useful if you take triple science. It'd really prepare you for you A-Levels as the foundation for each science subject would be held firmly.Hence, your transition to A-levels wouldn;t be too difficult!

Besides, I think triple science is a lot of fun!

Wish you the best =D
Take triple science. Beyond that medical schools couldn't care less about which GCSEs you take. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by katiatear
- Triple Science
- French
- Music

I would really like to be doctor, and I'm just really confused about whether I should stick with what I have or swap either Music or D.T for I.C.T.
I find I.C.T and D.T easier than Music though, but I love to play and I enjoy all my subjects.
Thanks

Are you doing any humainities? Med schools (in my minute experience) like subjects like RS and philosophy so they could be good alternatives if you want to swap D.T. between D.T. and I.C.T. D.T. would be seen as a more credible subject
Original post by katiatear
- Triple Science
- French
- Music

Thanks

Don't swap Music or DT for ICT. Your GCSE subjects themselves don't matter a huge amount when applying for Uni, but ICT is probably one of the least respected GCSEs because it's regarded as a very easy option. I know that several of the people in my year finished the entire IT course in under a year and did Computer Science in year 11.

Also, as the person above me said, a humanity would be really useful. I'd swap Music for Geography or History if I were you.
Reply 5
Hi, I've just had my options too, I'm doing:
Physics, Chemistry, Chinese, Russian, Music, History, EPQ
Don't worry about the ICT, it isn't very high up in the 'hierarchy' of subjects. If you really want to do it, many schools offer it as an extra in your free time, because it isn't very challenging. If you want to be a doctor the key subjects are Chemistry and Biology, as long as you keep all three at GCSE you that should be okay. Don't fret over ICT and DT, if it's a real problem, I'm sure you can have a chat with someone about it, History and other humanities are good options like the people above me said.

Hope I helped.
Reply 6
Take triple science, beyond that the subjects won't matter. The grades might, though, so pick whatever subjects you can do the best in.
Reply 7
Universities only generally look at your maths English and science gcses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh what you choose at GCSE doesn't matter at all, you just have to make sure you get high grades
Reply 9
Thank you all for all of your advice, you've really helped me make up my mind. Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest