The Student Room Group

FP3 june 2013 OCR (not MEI)

Two weeks and a bit till the exam, how's everyone finding revision?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kabutsu12
Two weeks and a bit till the exam, how's everyone finding revision?

BBBBBaaaaaaaaddddddddd
Reply 2
Any one got Jan 2013 FP3 paper?
Reply 3
x

Original post by bbchen
x

Thought I'd quote you as we need to get some more activity on this thread! How's everyone's revision going? I'm struggling with vectors and groups....
Reply 4
yay, hello! I find it all fairly ok (especially compared to FP2) other than some of the further trig stuff (using stuff like tan5theta to solve equations) It can sometimes be a bit confusing!

Does anyone have any questions in particular they are struggling with?
Reply 5
yay, hello! I find it all fairly ok (especially compared to FP2) other than some of the further trig stuff (using stuff like tan5theta to solve equations) It can sometimes be a bit confusing!

I think it's slightly easier than FP2 - although I keep changing my my on which that so we'll see. I find some of the group questions in particular quite hard - the concept is fairly simple, but I often struggle to start the question. Once I do though, groups are fine.
Reply 6

Do you think you could explain how to do question 6 for me?
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59548-question-paper-unit-4727-01-further-pure-mathematics-3.pdf
Reply 7
Parts i and ii are standard vector qs. For ii obtain two direction vectors, I got AE =(0,0,3) and AC=(-4,2,0) do the cross product of these to obtain (6,12,0) (simplify this if you want to but I prefer not to). Then put r.(6,12,0)=(6,12,).any point, I chose A (4,0,0). This value pops out as a scalar

For the angle use the scalar product method to get cos^-1((3,0,-4).(6,12,0)/the product of the modulus of the two vectors)) and you should get 74.4, you'd need to do 180 minus this if you wanted the acute angle.

For the next part obtain the vector equation of AM ((4,0,0)+t(-2,2,3) and then put x=4-2t, y=2t and z=3t SUb these values into OEFC (mark scheme misleadingly says ACGE, this is wrong but the answer on the markscheme is right) to get t=2/3. Use this value in you equation of AM to get the location of w as (8/3,4/4,2) then work out the modulus distances and make a ratio of them.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
Parts i and ii are standard vector qs. For ii obtain two direction vectors, I got AE =(0,0,3) and AC=(-4,2,0) do the cross product of these to obtain (6,12,0) (simplify this if you want to but I prefer not to). Then put r.(6,12,0)=(6,12,).any point, I chose A (4,0,0). This value pops out as a scalar

For the angle use the scalar product method to get cos^-1((3,0,-4).(6,12,0)/the product of the modulus of the two vectors)) and you should get 74.4, you'd need to do 180 minus this if you wanted the acute angle.

For the next part obtain the vector equation of AM ((4,0,0)+t(-2,2,3) and then put x=4-2t, y=2t and z=3t SUb these values into OEFC (mark scheme misleadingly says ACGE, this is wrong but the answer on the markscheme is right) to get t=2/3. Use this value in you equation of AM to get the location of w as (8/3,4/4,2) then work out the modulus distances and make a ratio of them.

Hope this helps :smile:

Reply 9
What are you guys aiming for in this? I got an A at AS, but only need a B in further maths to get into UCL =)
Trouble is I am absolutely dreadful at M2 so kinda need A's in both FP2 and FP3...Which is pretty unlikely.... :cry2:
(edited 10 years ago)
Im so scared for this exam :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I didn't do too well in FP3 in January but did well on all the others, I need an average of a B in either FP3 or M3 and one of M2 and D1 to get an A overall and get into Cambridge
Reply 12
I find M2 pretty easy, maybe even easier than M1. M3 is nails and is pretty much a slight extension of M2 in every aspect which makes everything in M2 seem easy.
Reply 13
I didn't do too well in FP3 in January but did well on all the others, I need an average of a B in either FP3 or M3 and one of M2 and D1 to get an A overall and get into Cambridge

D1 is piss, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Reply 14
Done the exam already! Sooooo tight for time, that's what makes it tricky. I'm guessing a low/mid B in it, main reason for taking it was to "unlock" M2 so I could use it for further instead of having to use if for normal maths.
How are u people revising group theory?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Coolina133
How are u people revising group theory?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers then looking at how the mark scheme does it if I get the qs wrong
Past papers then looking at how the mark scheme does it if I get the qs wrong

Thank uu

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

All of my revision is past papers.
Reply 19
Just going through all papers. Same for FP2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending