The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do us Muslims need to leave the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Th1rdeyeIL
Multiculturalism in general is a nightmare, the problem is not Islam

I kind of see where you are coming from. But what can we do??
If we all just stay segregated we would become even more racist :/. It's catch 22 :frown:
Original post by HumanSupremacist
But here you are employing an "us against them" mentality.

As I said above, and as I will say again, being British and being Muslim is not mutually exclusive. They are not separate things - you can be both at the same time. Therefore, I cannot for the life of me think of where you "British Muslims" will go!" It is akin to a White Briton in the early decades of the 20th century who converted to Islam. He was a white man born and bred in the UK with several generations of English ancestry - where would you have had him go, seeing as people in this thread are asking "Do us Muslims need to leave the UK?"

Do you envision setting up your own Israeli-analogue or something? A New Muslim state? :rolleyes:

Wow, now who's us against you? Yeah thats totally my life ambition and a Muslim agenda to create a new muslim state, genius bro.

Thats what you're missing, you said theyre not two seperate things and if i havent made it clear enough already, I am both at the same time, as are lot of british muslims. Frankly, i dont feel the need to explain myself to you any further.

P.s, note the sarcasm at the top, thought id add this note for those of us that are slightly denser than others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by bahjat93
If you are saying that then surely you could argue that what the Nazis did to the Jews wasn't racism.

Judaism is a race, the title is passed down from mother to offspring. It's a religion on top of that. Islam however is a religion alone.
Human Rights! They're entitled to Human Rights, there are international laws in place whereby it's their perogative to stay in their country of their naturalisation/birth. You can't just throw that all out on a knee jerk reaction on the random actions of two isolated people. So these two isolated people affects the 1.5- 1.8 million individuals. It would be an over-reaction, don't you think.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Stanley90
To be fair, if every time you turn on the news you see the media bashing one aspect of your identity, making you feel as though that's everyone's opinion of that part of your identity, then that's bound to make you feel like that part of your identity is a big deal, even if you don't want it to be.

Original post by badatgow
I am a muslim who was born and raised in the UK. As a British citizen, I am anti-war and disagree with things like the war in Afghanistan. However, I understand that this is my opinion and I am grateful for the right this country provides me to have my own belief and not be persecuted for it. I am in no way extremist, I love peace like the majority of muslims and non-muslims, so while you won't see me supporting the army you won't see me burning poppies either.

Similarly, In accordance with my faith I do not drink alcohol or go on pub crawls. While to an ethnic British person that might seem as if I haven't "integrated" into British society, I don't think that makes me any less of an english citizen than anyone else. I shouldn't have to leave this country because of that surely? You seem to be rather ignorant if you think every muslim who disagrees with certain aspects of the UK should immediately leave and essentially 'go home.'

I do not feel "in tune with British society" because I do not follow many of the cultural aspects (e.g. drinking, having a girlfriend, etc.) purely of my own choice in accordance with my religion. I have english friends who do all of these things, and I don't judge them for it and we can still be good friends regardless of our differences. I fail to understand why that is such a problem - although you seem to think this gives me potential to be a "domestic terrorist." You're either being purposefully outrageous or you're just ignorant.

If you think "drinking and having a girl-friend" is inherently "British", then you're more warped than I thought.

What would you think of the masses who don't drink alcohol then, but who happen to be White Britons? You're quite confused, aren't you?

You're one of those who needs religion, otherwise without it, you'd be lost and greatly immoral.

I'm terribly surprised that you think not drinking is non-British. Have you been to some none-drinking societies at universities - will it shock you to see that many of them are non-religious and white? :lol:

So this is what they preach in Mosques, is it? That all the young White British do "is drink a lot and sleep around, but we are good Muslims and we do not do such things." And since when was "having a girl-friend" a solely British thing? :lol:

Wow...dear Cosmos...save us from some people... :moon:
Reply 65
Original post by bahjat93
I think we should all leave and go Islamic countries personally :/.
Some of the English people are being very racist which is understandable but they haven't really thought about what would happen if we all did leave :/. If all the Muslims do decide to leave do you honestly think that they will have the NHS? The hospital here in Cambridge is literally full of Muslim doctors. I recently went there and i saw some white nurses but no white doctors. Another thing is, when you don't really make Muslims comfortable in your country and they all decide to leave you normally do tend to loose investment. The Shard was built due to the investments by a family of Muslims, most of the petrol comes from an Islamic nation.
Also it might shock people but most Muslims here aren't really poor and some of them do actually come from really nice countries like the UAE. They keep saying go home Muslims and my home is Canada :rolleyes:.
The English seem to be just focusing on the really negative aspects of Muslim society :/. It's like me going to a Stoke and saying "All English people are lazy, they just like to claim benefits"

BTW i didn't really understand your opinion on this thread :tongue:. Do you think we should all leave the UK??

We would still have the NHS, they're more white doctors in the NHS than any other colour, and it saddens me to say that most ethnic people in the uk are poor, just like alot of white people.

We'd be exactly the same but with less muslim people, I have friends who are muslim so it would be disappointing.
Original post by kmcg97
No, Muslims definitely should not need to leave the UK. However some do need to realise that this is Britain not Pakistan or Bangladesh - we should not have to adapt many of our customs to suit a minority and the tiny percentage of Muslims who believe they are entitled to it here are being unfair. If they wish to live under Muslim laws, go to live in a Muslim country surely? I am not anti-Islam or racist, my dad's sister married in to a Muslim family who I see often and they express the same views. Just to reiterate, I know it is a tiny percentage of people.

Who is asking you to adapt your customs to suit a minority? In fact, I think it's the other way round. Muslims are usually expected to change the way they dress and do things in order to be considered 'integrated'.
Dude, all Muslims, aren't even part of the same sect, let alone the same following! :rolleyes:

Additionally, when there's some sort of massacre of innocents in Sub-Saharan Africa or whatnot, I am upset, not simply because they are African, but because a group of innocent humans were slaughtered. The same goes if a group of innocents were slaughtered in Iraq or Pakistan or India.

One of the single most divisive thing in humanity is religion - these strange beliefs in the unknown and unseen that actually serve to divide humanity as a whole, rather than unite humanity. Sure, you might be united - but you are united within your own "in-group", you are not united with your fellow humans in humanity.

I pray for a hegemonic extraterrestrial race to attack us, because only then will we drop our nonsensical beliefs and unite as one Race to fight the external force. Until then, it'll always be "my belief's better than yours", "my God's bigger and better than yours", "mine's right, your's in wrong" :rolleyes:

Religion only serves to divide us - and you know how the saying goes "United We Stand; Divided We Fall".

I disagree. In Islam we are told to work together, with everyone. Muslims, christians, jews. Be it any faith or non-faith. God warns us to not criticise anyone, because we believe true justice happens on the day of Judgement. Here we are all was one big world, Religions don't divide us, we divide ourselves. Those following a religion all worship the same God technically. And those who don't worship anything, are still of the same race, the human race.
We must learn to co-exist, and stop blaming religions, its humans. We humans need to learn to co-exist with our different beliefs. And trust me, if religions didn't exist, the fools who can't co-exist would find something else to try and divide societies.
Reply 68
Original post by GirlWithADream
After what happened on Wednesday, a lot of people on TSR and other social networks have been saying things such as 'Muslims need to get out of the UK'.
As a Muslim and British Citizen, I can't help but think they have a valid point. Why don't we all just pack our bags and go back to our countries, even if they are war torn or unstable. Why does the West have to take us in? Where are the Muslim nations? Where is Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE? We don't belong here unless we 'intergrate' more. Well, most of us go to school/college/uni/work with non-Muslims and have colleagues/friends that are non-Muslim, yet people still say we don't intergrate. This is because by 'intergrate' they mean leave our religious practices and adapt to the 'British culture' which basically means marry into non-Muslim families and for girls, take off those long medival clothes and wear more 'British clothes'. Well atleast that's how I see it.

I want to hear from fellow Muslims, do you honestly think you belong here? And do you think it's time we all left and helped rebuild our countries?

p.s. I appreciate every non-Muslim that has been defending the rest of us Muslims.Thank you. :hugs:

p.p.s. I don't want any anti-Islam people on this thread. :rolleyes:

Chavs
should leave the UK, LOL.

p.p.s. I don't want any anti-Islam people on this thread. :rolleyes:

Thats the issue right there.

Islam has to be immune from criticism and it is extremely frustrating because at the moment no other religion claims this privilege. I have never heard anyone say muslims need to leave and i dont want them to. If i want to criticise islam I will do so, there is a difference between being horrible about muslims (which is obviously wrong unless youre talking about a specific person) and criticising islam for its many many flaws.
Original post by Hypocrism
Judaism is a race, the title is passed down from mother to offspring. It's a religion on top of that. Islam however is a religion alone.

That is because Islam doesn't believe in something called...the chosen ones. Anyone can join, anyone can leave. Its as free as that. With judaism, there is a sense of superiority of other races, and its this superiority feeling which leads to the racism in occupied palestinian territories etc.
Reply 71
I feel like people shouldn't be forced to leave but immigration in should be cut almost completely. Multiculturalism isnt working and we need to put all our efforts into integrating the current minorities instead of letting thousands if not millions of more people in further contributing to the rifts that already exist. It is time to seriously clamp down on immigration as no matter what people say it isn't overall beneficial.
Original post by RevisionEssence
INCAPABILITY TO FIT IN? When you try and infuriate people...don't expect them to not get infuriated. Those Muslims in that video got angry not because they felt like, but because they were criticized and mocked. Is it so difficult for everyone to just respect everyone? Ridiculous.

Your proving my point. That's Ironic. Did you bother to read my entire post? The context of this story was that it was a film critical about Muhammed! You know? That thing we do where we evaluate a topic and then either accept or reject it? The lecturer stated that it was offensive and he himself told people that they didn't have to watch it.

Have you ever seen Father Ted by any chance?
(edited 10 years ago)
You are perpetuating an 'us' and 'them' attitude, please stop
No, just convert to agnostic plastic-Islam. The dominant religion in this country is agnostic plastic-Christianity, but people don't care about the second bit nearly as much as the first.
Original post by StormXibalba
Thats the issue right there.

Islam has to be immune from criticism and it is extremely frustrating because at the moment no other religion claims this privilege. I have never heard anyone say muslims need to leave and i dont want them to. If i want to criticise islam I will do so, there is a difference between being horrible about muslims (which is obviously wrong unless youre talking about a specific person) and criticising islam for its many many flaws.

No other religion claims this 'privilege' because no other religion is slated the same way islam is

Posted from TSR Mobile
So whenever you don't have anything to say...you jump to the comment about 'us' and 'them'. When we are criticised its hard to feel part of the society honestly. Respect is something we all need to learn. Lets leave it at that and stop arguing.
Original post by Wick3d
Could stupid people just leave the UK instead? :smile:

Brilliant! Unfortunately we have to extend the same rights, even to bigots.
Reply 78
If you think "drinking and having a girl-friend" is inherently "British", then you're more warped than I thought.

It's a normal, accepted aspect of British culture. Yes not every briton drinks or has a girlfriend, but it's very far from a rarity isn't it?

What would you think of the masses who don't drink alcohol then, but who happen to be White Britons? You're quite confused, aren't you?

That's their choice. They have made that choice for their own reasons, like we've made ours for our faith.

You're one of those who needs religion, otherwise without it, you'd be lost and greatly immoral.

I make every decision with a conscious understanding of why i'm doing it. If my religion tells me not to do something, I will make every effort to understand why that is. So no, if religion suddenly disappeared i wouldn't at all be lost or immoral.

I'm terribly surprised that you think not drinking is non-British. Have you been to some none-drinking societies at universities - will it shock you to see that many of them are non-religious and white? :lol:

Again with this rubbish.

So this is what they preach in Mosques, is it? That all the young White British do "is drink a lot and sleep around, but we are good Muslims and we do not do such things." And since when was "having a girl-friend" a solely British thing? :lol:

What makes you think that i've got my opinion from a mosque? Attending a particular school in London has given me a lot of exposure to young white british who display many cultural differences to young brown british. My point is, and has been, that drinking, going out and having a girlfriend is an accepted part of british culture. In muslim culture, this is not the case, and the difference in culture can occasionally make us feel like a separate entity.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RevisionEssence
So whenever you don't have anything to say...you jump to the comment about 'us' and 'them'. When we are criticised its hard to feel part of the society honestly. Respect is something we all need to learn. Lets leave it at that and stop arguing.

Very well said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending