The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do us Muslims need to leave the UK?

After what happened on Wednesday, a lot of people on TSR and other social networks have been saying things such as 'Muslims need to get out of the UK'.
As a Muslim and British Citizen, I can't help but think they have a valid point. Why don't we all just pack our bags and go back to our countries, even if they are war torn or unstable. Why does the West have to take us in? Where are the Muslim nations? Where is Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE? We don't belong here unless we 'intergrate' more. Well, most of us go to school/college/uni/work with non-Muslims and have colleagues/friends that are non-Muslim, yet people still say we don't intergrate. This is because by 'intergrate' they mean leave our religious practices and adapt to the 'British culture' which basically means marry into non-Muslim families and for girls, take off those long medival clothes and wear more 'British clothes'. Well atleast that's how I see it.

I want to hear from fellow Muslims, do you honestly think you belong here? And do you think it's time we all left and helped rebuild our countries?

p.s. I appreciate every non-Muslim that has been defending the rest of us Muslims.Thank you. :hugs:

p.p.s. I don't want any anti-Islam people on this thread. :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GirlWithADream
a lot of people on TSR and other social networks have been saying things such as 'Muslims need to get out of the UK'.

A very small minority of people say this and the majority of people in this country, no matter from what culture, stand up against people who say things like this.

Yesterday a girl made her facebook status "I HATE MUSLIMS" and instantly got flamed by a lot of people... everyone hates her now. So while a few idiots judge a whole religion on 2 people's actions most people are sensible.

So we are to discuss this without being anti-Islam. That might be a tad one-sided (although TSR is fairly one-sided; very few people genuinely believe that Muslims need to move out of Britain).
After what happened on Wednesday, a lot of people on TSR and other social networks have been saying things such as 'Muslims need to get out of the UK'.

That depends. Do you feel like this is your country? That guy on Wednesday who talked to the camera was saying about how in "his country" and he apologises to the women of this country but "his country's" women endure worse.

I think if you don't feel that this is your country, I think you should leave to where you think your country is. That man on Wednesday should have just left if he was so unhappy here, and I think that if anyone else here is so unhappy that they feel this isn't their country then they should leave too.

Also if you're planning to go and murder a load of people I'd rather you weren't here, just in case I end up being your target. :P

Obviously I'm talking in an ideal world where you have the means to just hop countries whenever you feel like it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Beckyweck
That depends. Do you feel like this is your country? That guy on Wednesday who talked to the camera was saying about how in "his country" and he apologises to the women of this country but "his country's" women endure worse.

I think if you don't feel that this is your country, I think you should leave to where you think your country is. That man on Wednesday should have just left if he was so unhappy here, and I think that if anyone else here is so unhappy that they feel this isn't their country then they should leave too.

Also if you're planning to go and murder a load of people I'd rather you weren't here, just in case I end up being your target. :P

the worst thing is that guy is british born, he only converted in 2003
As a Muslim and British Citizen, I can't help but think they have a valid point. Why don't we all just pack our bags and go back to our countries, even if they are war torn or unstable. Why does the West have to take us in? Where are the Muslim nations? Where is Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE? We don't belong here unless we 'intergrate' more. Well, most of us go to school/college/uni/work with non-Muslims and have colleagues/friends that are non-Muslim, yet people still say we don't intergrate. This is because by 'intergrate' they mean leave our religious practices and adapt to the 'British culture' which basically means marry into non-Muslim families and for girls, take off those long medival clothes and wear more 'British clothes'. Well atleast that's how I see it.

I want to hear from fellow Muslims, do you honestly think you belong here? And do you think it's time we all left and helped rebuild our countries?

p.s. I appreciate every non-Muslim that has been defending the rest of us Muslims.Thank you. :hugs:

You are a citizen of the United Kingdom. You have as much right to be here as anyone else. You're religious faith is irrelevant. Men died in WWII, fighting for this countries freedom and ideals. This includes expressions of faith.

No BNP/EDL member has any right to tell any British Citizen they do not belong here. The chances are, they have a immigrant background as well.

EDIT: Can the 5 negs please explain to me how being a Muslim null and voids a Muslim being a British Citizen???
(edited 10 years ago)
I honestly understand where you are coming from :smile:
Reply 7

I think we should all leave and go Islamic countries personally :/.
Some of the English people are being very racist which is understandable but they haven't really thought about what would happen if we all did leave :/. If all the Muslims do decide to leave do you honestly think that they will have the NHS? The hospital here in Cambridge is literally full of Muslim doctors. I recently went there and i saw some white nurses but no white doctors. Another thing is, when you don't really make Muslims comfortable in your country and they all decide to leave you normally do tend to loose investment. The Shard was built due to the investments by a family of Muslims, most of the petrol comes from an Islamic nation.
Also it might shock people but most Muslims here aren't really poor and some of them do actually come from really nice countries like the UAE. They keep saying go home Muslims and my home is Canada :rolleyes:.
The English seem to be just focusing on the really negative aspects of Muslim society :/. It's like me going to a Stoke and saying "All English people are lazy, they just like to claim benefits"

BTW i didn't really understand your opinion on this thread :tongue:. Do you think we should all leave the UK??
Original post by kelvinbeyioku
the worst thing is that guy is british born, he only converted in 2003

Yeah I saw that and he had a very broad London accent. But that's kind of my point. If he was so unhappy here and didn't feel like he belonged here, then he should have gone to the effort of moving to where he wanted to be, not butchering a passerby to show he doesn't like it here.
Reply 9

I know how you feel. I don't think we will ever be accepted 100%, there will always be people who would like to forcefully deport us all. Whether a Muslim should leave or not is up to them? But I do think Muslims should try to contribute to the development of poor Muslim countries.

Also, I don't think leaving is possible for a lot of Muslims. Some of us can only speak English, since we were born and raised in the UK; others are from countries completely destroyed by war (e.g. Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan and now Syria and Pakistan are pretty much on a knife-edge).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I will never stay in a place where I can't live with dignity with my head held high just because of the faith I follow...(I don't live in the uk)....

In my eyes, those extremists deserved the worst punishment...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
bahjat93: "Some of the English people are being very racist which is understandable..."

I am white, non-Muslim and ethnically British, and I can't believe you have said that. There is never any excuse for racism, and there is no need for Muslims to leave the country. Any sane person knows that the few Britons who paint Muslims as warmongering and violent are simply arrogant, ignorant individuals. Our society is so much richer for the many ethnic groups and religions of which it consists. It would be a great shame if you left. The perpetrators of the Woolwich attack were not really Muslims. They may have officially been Muslims, but did they uphold true Islamic moral values, I ask you? No. Osama Bin Laden was not a Muslim. Nor is Mullah Omar. The list is long, but the list of true Muslims is thousands of times longer.

Ian Hislop from Have I Got News For You said recently to Nigel Farage: "You mustn't assume the British electorate is as ignorant as you are."

Ignorance is the key word here. British people are ignorant of Islam and its practices. When people understand that Islam is not violent, that Islam is not cruel, and that Islam strives to uphold the same morals and values as all the other world religions, you will not feel you have to leave.
Original post by bahjat93
I think we should all leave and go Islamic countries personally :/.
Some of the English people are being very racist which is understandable but they haven't really thought about what would happen if we all did leave :/. If all the Muslims do decide to leave do you honestly think that they will have the NHS? The hospital here in Cambridge is literally full of Muslim doctors. I recently went there and i saw some white nurses but no white doctors. Another thing is, when you don't really make Muslims comfortable in your country and they all decide to leave you normally do tend to loose investment. The Shard was built due to the investments by a family of Muslims, most of the petrol comes from an Islamic nation.
Also it might shock people but most Muslims here aren't really poor and some of them do actually come from really nice countries like the UAE. They keep saying go home Muslims and my home is Canada :rolleyes:.
The English seem to be just focusing on the really negative aspects of Muslim society :/. It's like me going to a Stoke and saying "All English people are lazy, they just like to claim benefits"

BTW i didn't really understand your opinion on this thread :tongue:. Do you think we should all leave the UK??

I'm sorry but I think you're being too general. It is a very very small minority of people who are stupid enough and close minded to put the blame on all muslins. Unfortunately racism happens wherever you go, Im sure if someone from just say here was to go live in the likes of Bangladesh etc, they wouldn't be able to fit in just like the people here seem to feel. I honestly think muslins should be happy that they're in such an accepting society. Anyone here is allowed to wear what they want, follow any religion that they want etc. And to be honest, it's something that just doesn't happen in a lot of other countries... I dont know if racism is bad where you live, but around where I live it isn't an issue at all...
Could stupid people just leave the UK instead? :smile:
Reply 14

Many people feel the same every time some nut does something and it turns out he is a muslim. Nutters are then made to represent us, a very small minority as opposed to millions of normal, sensible, peaceful muslims.

EDL, idiots on the internet, etc. blame us and vent their anger at us. We consequently feel isolated, rejected by our own people (the British public) because we agree with those condemning the crime, yet we are looked at as people that committed and supported the crime.

This is the sad truth.
Reply 15
I've spoken to some of Muslim friends in their final year in Uni and they say they have no future in this country. They're scrutinized way too much and they're the only people who get slapped with collective responsibility any time something like this happens.

Don't blame them tbh.
No. I'm a British citizen. No one's forcing me to leave my country. What a stupid thread.
Reply 17
Original post by Kolasinac138
No. I'm a British citizen. No one's forcing me to leave my country. What a stupid thread.

It's not stupid no

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
I am also a British Muslim and feel the same as you do sometimes but Britain is where I grew and was born and I would never leave and I understand your frustration but everyone has different values which are different to the British values but its up to us to find the balance which me feel comfortable with which doesn't mean not wearing Islamic clothing if that's what you want to do you should do it as we are so lucky to have freedom speech here and people who say stuff about muslims are insecure and ignorant, because at the end of the day we are all humans and we have differences this is what makes us all individuals. People do not have the right to discriminate people because of their religion or a race because at the end of the day we all want to live peaceful and happy lives.
Reply 19
I'm not of British descent but I'm not Muslim. The majority of my friends are white British and when I'm with them, I don't really feel like I'm the same nationality as them. I love the UK's culture, food, music, sports and all that stuff but I don't feel any allegiance to the UK or England or my so called "home country". Sometimes I think whether I do actually have a "home". Although people aren't outwardly racist I do feel a lot of animosity building up against non-whites due to the bloody idiots that do these attacks.

Latest

Trending

Trending