The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Natural Hazards: tectonic and climatic hazards

Economic Development (idk about this one though)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by THEMathlete
Natural Hazards: tectonic and climatic hazards

Economic Development (idk about this one though)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find the economic activities the easiest to be honest.. Well it is the easiest!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by poushpaaa
Can someone tel me the topics pleaseee? Like rivers&coasts and ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

rivers and coasts/ industry and economic development/ tectonic hazards and natural hazards
Reply 43
I can't find any exam questions on economic development, where do i find some?

Original post by geographypods
Hazards
In response to the questions here regarding the hazards option. OCR usually give you the choice between a tectonic (earthquakes & volcanoes) or a climatic (tropical storms or drought) question BUT they do reserve the right to give you either two climatic or two tectonic questions.

For this reason, I have told all my Y11 students to revise each of their hazards case studies and make sure they know they key causes, effects & responses and ways of planning and preparing for the event.

At my school the case studies look like this but will be different depending on your school.

Earthquake MEDC - Japan / LEDC - Haiti
Volcano MEDC - Etna, Italy / LEDC - Nevado del Ruiz, Mexico

Drought MEDC - Australia / LEDC Horn of Africa
Tropical Storm - MEDC Katrina, USA / LEDC - Nargis, Burma

Economic Development.
There is a lot to revise here. This section of the exam is normally split up into Part 1. Development & Aid and Part 2. Industry & Trade.

OCR generally ask you for key features & locations of either a Primary, Secondary, Tertiary or Quaternary industry BUT they could ask you specifics on any of the four so be prepared.

Rivers & Coasts
Some of you have asked if you could just revise one and not the other. Again,in previous years they have given a straightforward choice between either rivers or coasts. However, like with hazards, they say that they reserve the right to ask two rivers or two coasts questions. For that reason, my students know to revise both sections equally but that I would like them to go for the coasts section if it comes up as that is what they did their fieldwork on.

OCR B Geography requires students to know a lot about their case studies and there are ways that you can do this. When I did my GCSE's in the 90's, I could never remember dates, death & injury data, magnitudes etc etc just by reading them over and over again. I had to plaster my bedroom walls with post it notes showing key dates and other data and it did help me to remember because I had to look at the things every single day! I was also very sad and made audio recordings of myself reading case study notes and played them on my CD player as I was falling to sleep. Full on I know, but it worked pretty well in the end.

The payback is that you know that there will be nothing on Population & Settlement as it has already been tested in the SDME. In other GCSE Geography qualifications, all four units are tested in the final exam. That can be a real nightmare for some.

Again, all the stuff is on geographypods - Mr Berry's Podcasts are a great place to start and there are links to sample papers and revision notes. http://www.geographypods.com/terminal-exam-12th-june-2013.html

I am away on a school trip until Wednesday so won't be able to respond to questions here until later this week. In the meantime, good luck and work hard.

geographypods
Guys does anyone know what the grade boundaries will roughly be for these upcoming exams? I know it's going to be slightly different what with SPag. What would I roughly need in the last exam with these results:
SDME: 56
Coursework: 57
Thanks!
Reply 45
What was the sdme out of again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by abidhussain9
Guys does anyone know what the grade boundaries will roughly be for these upcoming exams? I know it's going to be slightly different what with SPag. What would I roughly need in the last exam with these results:
SDME: 56
Coursework: 57
Thanks!

Need a medium A for an a*
Reply 47
Original post by Joy2013
What was the sdme out of again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

40 Raw marks, 60 UMS
Reply 48
Taking SPaG into account I would estimate around 67/84 for an A*, dropping by about 8 for each grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Taking SPaG into account I would estimate around 67/84 for an A*, dropping by about 8 for each grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that an A* for that particular paper or to get an A* overall?
Reply 50
For that paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
For this exam I am doing the following case studies:

Rivers and coasts:
River landforms- River tees
MEDC flooding and management (Boscastle)
LEDC flooding and management (Bangladesh)
Coastal landforms (Dorset coast)
coastal management (East dorset)

Natural hazards
Climatic hazard ledc (Burma)
Climatic hazard medc (hurricane katrina)
Tectonic hazard ledc (Kashmir, Pakistan)
Tectonic hazard medc (Mt St helens)

Economic Development
Aid in ledc (Eastern africa)
Ledc (primary, secondary, tertiary and Quaternary (Brazil)
Multinational company Walmart
Impact of industrialization (Pearl river delta)
Medc (secondary and Quaternary industry)

SO I am doing case studies in total but i am still not sure if these are the ones or do i need any more?

ANd if the medc industry one for economic development is for both secondary and quarternary?
I am so confuseddd.......
Reply 52
That's all you need. In fact, you could probably get by with one industry in an MEDC and one for an LEDC but I wouldn't count on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
is there any good quizes online? for all the themes?
Reply 54
For economic Development the likely case studies will be environmental concerns and problems which is the Pearl River Delta in China and the other one is Economic activity which is in Brazil those are the likely case study s to pop up for economic development
Reply 55
Industrys is not likely to come up again as it came up last year and same as Development which was Water Aid mali came up last year.
Reply 56
Original post by forzajanie
For this exam I am doing the following case studies:

Rivers and coasts:
River landforms- River tees
MEDC flooding and management (Boscastle)
LEDC flooding and management (Bangladesh)
Coastal landforms (Dorset coast)
coastal management (East dorset)

Natural hazards
Climatic hazard ledc (Burma)
Climatic hazard medc (hurricane katrina)
Tectonic hazard ledc (Kashmir, Pakistan)
Tectonic hazard medc (Mt St helens)

Economic Development
Aid in ledc (Eastern africa)
Ledc (primary, secondary, tertiary and Quaternary (Brazil)
Multinational company Walmart
Impact of industrialization (Pearl river delta)
Medc (secondary and Quaternary industry)

SO I am doing case studies in total but i am still not sure if these are the ones or do i need any more?

ANd if the medc industry one for economic development is for both secondary and quarternary?
I am so confuseddd.......

Yeah Man they are all correct case studies just learn through the LEDC the most because they are likely to come up for rivers and MEDC for Natural hazards as they will likely to come up while for economic devlopment learn pearl river delta and brazil
Reply 57
Note my mum works for OCR in geography Department
God damn I hate Geography revision - It's just piling facts into my head :s

Good thing I looked at this thread, was going to ditch Coasts/Climatic Hazards :L
Reply 59
Original post by Courier
Note my mum works for OCR in geography Department

Does she actually??! And can you list the case studies you think would be worth revising the most clearly please, sure it would be a great help to everyone! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending