The Student Room Group

Mental State of Woolwich Attacker

[Skip to 3:50-7:17]

In his Newsnight interview, Abu Nusaybah (one of the Woolwich attackers friend) said he thought "a change" had taken place in his friend after his detention by security forces on a trip to Kenya last year.

Abu Nusaybah said Mr Adebolajo suggested he had been physically and sexually abused during an interrogation in a prison cell in the African country.

After this, he became withdrawn "and less talkative - he wasn't his bubbly self", Abu Nusaybah added.

Abu Nusaybah was arrested at the BBC after giving the interview.

Source

His friend tells quite a horrifying story of torture and sexual abuse that Adebolajo was subjected to in Kenya. This is likely to have led to significant mental trauma that may have desensitised him to the prospect of carrying out such a gruesome attack. Also, his willingness to die on that day could also be explained by the trauma that such an incident would induce.
The thing is people will just say there are many out there that have experienced similar abuse but that didn't make them to act in such a dreadful way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
No excuse for murder though
Reply 3
Original post by CasualSoul
The thing is people will just say there are many out there that have experienced similar abuse but that didn't make them to act in such a dreadful way.

I am not saying that the mental trauma alone is what caused this. Obviously, as you have stated, there are many people (well some people) that have suffered the same and have not reacted in the exact same way. I have no doubt that there were other circumstances involved. However, that fact doesn't negate from the notion that the psychological trauma he suffered could have influenced his actions. If we were to deny the impact of this in his case, based on the reasoning you mentioned, then we would also have to deny the impact that psychological trauma has on the actions of everyone who has ever been abused because the actions of those people are never identical. That doesn't mean that the trauma didn't influence his actions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Stevo112
No excuse for murder though

Nothing excuses murder; some things can help to explain it, however.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by B-Man.
I am not saying that the mental trauma alone is what caused this. Obviously, as you have stated, there are many people (well some people) that have suffered the same and have not reacted in the exact same way. I have no doubt that there were other circumstances involved. However, that fact doesn't negate from the notion that the psychological trauma he suffered could have influenced his actions. If we were to deny the impact of this in his case, based on the reasoning you mentioned, then we would also have to deny the impact that psychological trauma has on the actions of everyone who has ever been abused because the actions of those people are never identical. That doesn't mean that the trauma didn't influence his actions.

Hmm yeah I see what you're saying.
Original post by B-Man.
Nothing excuses murder; some things can help to explain it, however.

Yeah, its called radical islam. I will get so many negs for saying that.....but that is the root of it... like it or not, we need to eliminate it. EDL.
Original post by B-Man.
His friend tells quite a horrifying story of torture and sexual abuse that Adebolajo was subjected to in Kenya. This is likely to have led to significant mental trauma that may have desensitised him to the prospect of carrying out such a gruesome attack. Also, his willingness to die on that day could also be explained by the trauma that such an incident would induce.

This is just supposition. You are in no position to give a diagnosis of his mental health. You would need a psychiatrist to actually sit down with him to do that.

The fact is, there have been hundreds of thousands of jihadists throughout the world who suffered no trauma at all, but were brainwashed by Islamic preachers to commit atrocities.
Reply 8
From what I have gathered he Woolwich attackers were very angry but perfectly sane. Their actions were a direct response to British foreign policy (he mentioned how the British government is killing Muslims abroad simply for wanting to abide and live by the Shariah) but other factors influenced them including the sexual abuse of one suspect and the racist murder of a friend of the other suspect.
Reply 9
Original post by B-Man.

there are often such stories that come out after a islamist attrocitiy, ususally from someone close to the culprits. I remember the boston bombers mother claiming he had been framed.

if the above was 10% acurate , why didnt Adebolajo go and behead a Kenyan soldier?
Original post by Mr Big
there are often such stories that come out after a islamist attrocitiy, ususally from someone close to the culprits. I remember the boston bombers mother claiming he had been framed.

if the above was 10% acurate , why didnt Adebolajo go and behead a Kenyan soldier?

Because mental illness and logic don't always go together.

But I agree, we should be sceptical.
Reply 11
Original post by Tubby Isaacs

there is certianly the possiblity this guy may have had some traua in his past, but this attrocity was not a wild sporadic act of a metally ill person. it was a planned thought out attack where these tow men tracked a target, went equipped for murder and had their speeches all pre-thought out for the cameras. They were probably highly suggestable characters (as most islamic fundamentalists are) but the had someone smarter to implant the seed of indoctrination in their heads - question is did that radicalisation happen by muslims here or in nigeria.
Reply 12
Original post by Tubby Isaacs

there is certianly the possiblity this guy may have had some trauma in his past, but this attrocity was not a wild sporadic act of a metally ill person. it was a planned thought out attack where these tow men tracked a target, went equipped for murder and had their speeches all pre-thought out for the cameras. They were probably highly suggestable characters (as most islamic fundamentalists are) but the had someone smarter to implant the seed of indoctrination in their heads - question is did that radicalisation happen by muslims here or in nigeria.
Original post by Mr Big
there is certianly the possiblity this guy may have had some traua in his past, but this attrocity was not a wild sporadic act of a metally ill person. it was a planned thought out attack where these tow men tracked a target, went equipped for murder and had their speeches all pre-thought out for the cameras. They were probably highly suggestable characters (as most islamic fundamentalists are) but the had someone smarter to implant the seed of indoctrination in their heads - question is did that radicalisation happen by muslims here or in nigeria.

Mentally messed up people can plan things, that's not always a problem. Not that this took much planning really. Speeches to camera probably come fairly naturally too. Anyone with a mobile phone can do it.

Mental illness can only explain so much, and leave lots of very serious questions about who he was in contact with. If anything we've been told about Kenya is even true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending