The Student Room Group

Edexcel English Language & Lit Combined?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Did anyone else on this exam run out of room? Particularly on section B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by St. Brynjar
Yeah I thought the unseen was a bit crap! B was great, Stuff Happens & Translations.

I did those plays too what did you think of them? I thought it was a bit bizarre the amount of context we were supposed to write about, although maybe that was just my teacher. She just seemed to place so much value on it. Luckily I did the Cold War (US foreign policy) and Ireland in the 19th Century in History this year as well so I had a fairly good background anyway.
Original post by tjf8
I did those plays too what did you think of them? I thought it was a bit bizarre the amount of context we were supposed to write about, although maybe that was just my teacher. She just seemed to place so much value on it. Luckily I did the Cold War (US foreign policy) and Ireland in the 19th Century in History this year as well so I had a fairly good background anyway.

Liked Stuff Happens, not keen on Translations. Yeah it felt like a History exam at times but I'm quite interested in politics so Stuff Happens wasn't so bad. Hated learning about Ireland though.
Reply 23
Liked Stuff Happens, not keen on Translations. Yeah it felt like a History exam at times but I'm quite interested in politics so Stuff Happens wasn't so bad. Hated learning about Ireland though.

Yeah Ireland is pretty divisive at my school. I thought the question for part B was quite good though, people at odds with their surroundings, although I wrote about a page on Jimmy, which I wasn't really prepared for. It was pretty good for Powell and Blair and Yolland though.
I wrote extensively about Blair and Sarah, then regular sized points on Bridget (The sweet smell!), Powell, Hugh, Owen, and the epigraphs in the front of Stuff Happens. Just had A03 in my mind non-stop!
Reply 25
I wrote extensively about Blair and Sarah, then regular sized points on Bridget (The sweet smell!), Powell, Hugh, Owen, and the epigraphs in the front of Stuff Happens. Just had A03 in my mind non-stop!

Wow, sounds like quite a lot! I just generally spent more time on fewer characters, I think. So did you have that unseen about the Palestinian theatre as well then? What did you make of it?
Original post by tjf8
Wow, sounds like quite a lot! I just generally spent more time on fewer characters, I think. So did you have that unseen about the Palestinian theatre as well then? What did you make of it?

Yeah I had that, hated it to be honest. Spoke a lot about logos, temporal deictics, thematic structure etc. and tried to find some implicit attitudes & values but it was much harder than most of my mocks!

My main gripe was the lack of synaesthetic imagery, and I actually made a point suggesting that it could be improved :tongue:

The quotations put a lot of my friends off. What about you?
Reply 27
Yeah I had that, hated it to be honest. Spoke a lot about logos, temporal deictics, thematic structure etc. and tried to find some implicit attitudes & values but it was much harder than most of my mocks!

My main gripe was the lack of synaesthetic imagery, and I actually made a point suggesting that it could be improved :tongue:

The quotations put a lot of my friends off. What about you?

Yeah it was definitely harder than most that I've seen; normally we just got a nice piece of mickey-taking journalism that pretty much hits you across the face with its values and ideas. I mainly just focused on the relationship between the theatre and the community (such as the sharing of lights) and the universality of theatre. I was pretty frustrated with it by the end though so I scribbled a conclusion and moved on to the part b as quick as possible :laugh:
Reply 28
I did family relationships as my theme, did the section B first to give myself 1h30 to do that then the unseen, feel like I put everything in but conciseness is not my strong point....I know you guys didn't do the same themes, but did anyone else fins it hard to stick to the question? And what universities are you all applying to out of interest? :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by tjf8
Yeah it was definitely harder than most that I've seen; normally we just got a nice piece of mickey-taking journalism that pretty much hits you across the face with its values and ideas. I mainly just focused on the relationship between the theatre and the community (such as the sharing of lights) and the universality of theatre. I was pretty frustrated with it by the end though so I scribbled a conclusion and moved on to the part b as quick as possible :laugh:

Exactly the same! A 20th century text I had, autobiographical about a guy talking about his childhood and random family relatives. Very difficult to identify values, attitudes and ideas!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending