The Student Room Group

Differences between school and sixth form/college ?

I'll be beginning A levels in college this september (currently in year 11) and I was wondering, how is college different to secondary school? :smile:

At the moment, I go to an all boys school where there are so many unpleasant people! I have to hear derogatory comments all the time (usually sexist/racist/homophobic) which gets on my nerves.

Anyway, rant over :tongue: . what differences have you noticed between the types of people between secondary school and college?
Reply 1
At college, most people, suddenly mature slightly over night. I say slightly and most because there is always going to be those knob heads in life. At college you get treated more like a child than you do at sixth form purely because you go in being the youngest students and therefore the tutors attempt to discipline you in an immature and degrading fashion. The good thing about college/sixth form though is that it's mixed and you may realise, like i did, that you actually get on better with the opposite sex and you cannot believe you actually survived five years of school with, in my case, a bunch of ignorant girls. It's a lot better than school but you still have that kind of uniformed feel, which i didn't personally like but i hope this has kind of helped you, maybe...?!
Original post by BeccaM4
At college, most people, suddenly mature slightly over night. I say slightly and most because there is always going to be those knob heads in life. At college you get treated more like a child than you do at sixth form purely because you go in being the youngest students and therefore the tutors attempt to discipline you in an immature and degrading fashion. The good thing about college/sixth form though is that it's mixed and you may realise, like i did, that you actually get on better with the opposite sex and you cannot believe you actually survived five years of school with, in my case, a bunch of ignorant girls. It's a lot better than school but you still have that kind of uniformed feel, which i didn't personally like but i hope this has kind of helped you, maybe...?!

In a sixth form college there are only 2 years? So there isnt much difference between a y12 and a y13
Reply 3
Original post by ForgottenPen
In a sixth form college there are only 2 years? So there isnt much difference between a y12 and a y13

There isn't much difference between the ages, but between the way you are treated there is, well there was in the particular sixth form i attended!!
Original post by ForgottenPen

I'd say there is because teachers realise that some people will drop the subject after AS and don't really enjoy it so much whereas in year 13 they know you're dedicated and treat you a bit better.
I haven't been to college so I can't really comment on college's. I decided to go to my school's sixth form.
My sixth form doesn't wear a uniform so that was one of the big reasons I chose it haha! However when my year was deciding between sixth form and college we were told that if we went to sixth form we would get more support off the teachers than at college. I don't know to what extent this is true though because as I said I haven't been to college, although I did apply!
My boyfriend goes to college however and from what I have heard from him he is treated more like an adult than I am at sixth form.. But to be honest I would say all college's and sixth forms vary so, you're best off speaking to people who go to the sixth form/college you are thinking of going to!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest