The Student Room Group

Might fail a core subject=>won't be able to go to Honours. Options?

Hey,

I m studying Business at a Scottish University in my second year and miserably failed to answer correctly for the exam questions. I have spent too much time on the first problem, seen its not going well, I panicked and screwed totally or partially everything that followed, therefore I m on the line failing or passing. I feel totally ashamed of myself as I have spent my last 2 weeks revising and doing so bad has never happened to me before.

My course is a 4 years course, and if I fail I won't be able to go into Honours and graduate with a regular BA degree. Anybody knows how this works? Can I still go into Honours if I repeat my 2nd or 3rd year? Or how many Master programmes accept a regular BA? How is it seen by employers?
I highly appreciate your answers
Cheers
If you went to my university I could certainly help since becoming an expert on my university's contract for various unpleasant reasons. I had a similar problem but i ended up doing another module to replace it. They gave me the core subject milarkie but could not back it up as the program spec, for the year i started, didn't say so. Neither did the module documents. Plus despite them saying that replacement credit was against university regulations, the actual contract said additional study, with the same learning outcomes is permitted!

I say don't believe what your told and read up on your university's contracts and program specification, your rules will be different. Its very time consuming so only do it if you actually fail this module, it sounds like you do not have any results yet. you could me pleasantly surprised.

Yes i imagine you could still get honours if you repeat a year, but this normally has a grade penalty attached this penalty could bring you down to a 3rd or below. So its possible but difficult as high grades are needed elsewhere. All depends how your degree is calculated, thats also different from place to place.

As for doing a masters, there is no official minimum requirement, same for most professional qualifications. But bear in mind most employers and decent masters courses set there minimum at a 2.2 sometimes 2.1. Even if they don't you would be facing competition from people who do. All depends on your subject area, for some requirement's for a masters at a top university is only a 2.2 but for very popular pathways, some even go as far as to ask for a minimum of a high 2.1 or first class honours. Id certainly do some research on your options by looking at masters courses/ graduate schemes.

hope this helps.
Are there not summer resits at Scottish unis? :/
It depends entirely on your uni / department's policies. You need to see your academic adviser as a matter of urgency.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending