The Student Room Group

Are protein shakes actually worth taking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Could anyone give me some advice, please? I'm 6'4". I'm not overweight, by any stretch of the imagination; however, I'd like to lose a tiny bit of weight on the hips, as I imagine it'd make toning up there easier. I want to bulk up my muscle a bit. What is the best protein powder, in your opinion? I ask because there seem to be so many types for different goals. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I've heard of myofusion and gold whey standard.
Reply 41
Original post by AreebWithaHat
What like? You're a vegetarian IIRC, just wondering what your staples are?

I'm vegan and only use soy protein powder when cutting or on the odd occasion I have a no appetite day. My standard 'where do you get your protein?' list:

beans (not just baked- all different sorts including) and lentils
Tofu, tempeh, supermarket burgers and sausages, TVP, seitan
Whole grains- quinoa and bulgar in particular but even brown bread or tortillas or oats
Pretty much all nuts and seeds, including peanut butter
Peas and broccoli

Think my top suggestion for you would be Linda McCarney sausages, £1 a box of 6 in Farmfoods, 11g protein each.

And my 'here's one I made earlier' typical days of eating

5 weetabix, soy milk, strawberries, soy yogurt, coffee
bean & veg curry (quite mild so I can eat it without rice), 3 veggie sausages, fruit
4 slices of toast, some with spread and some with PB
bean & sietan burger with sauce, veg
biscuits and chocolate soy milk

3 Shredded wheat, berries, 30g mixed nuts, soy milk
2 Linda McCartney sausages, homemade oat protein bar
Lasagna (TVP, spinach, tomato, white pasta, soy milk based white sauce), broccilli
2 lentil & sietan burgers, corn on the cob
Chocolate
2 hummus sandwiches (brown bread), 2-3 bits of fruit
Original post by BKS
I'm vegan and only use soy protein powder when cutting or on the odd occasion I have a no appetite day. My standard 'where do you get your protein?' list:

Whole grains- quinoa and bulgar in particular but even brown bread or tortillas or oats
Peas and broccoli

Think my top suggestion for you would be Linda McCarney sausages, £1 a box of 6 in Farmfoods, 11g protein each.

bean & veg curry (quite mild so I can eat it without rice), 3 veggie sausages, fruit

Lasagna (TVP, spinach, tomato, white pasta, soy milk based white sauce), broccilli
Chocolate

Thanks for the help dude-I was looking to try find some non-meat related protein sources, I'll give those LM sausages a try :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by BKS

Peas and broccoli

Chocolate

Thanks for your post :smile: (I'm not a veggie but might have some "veggie days" as I've tried it before and it always leaves me feeling healthier for some reason)
Reply 44
Original post by Ezekiella
Thanks for your post :smile: (I'm not a veggie but might have some "veggie days" as I've tried it before and it always leaves me feeling healthier for some reason)

OT but for the record I totally dispute the idea that a veggie or vegan diet is somehow inherently healthier. It's very possible to be vegan and eat like ****.

Just in case you thought that or someone reading it did. Obviously, I'd like people to eat less meat but I'd rather they did it for real reasons
Reply 45
Original post by BKS
OT but for the record I totally dispute the idea that a veggie or vegan diet is somehow inherently healthier. It's very possible to be vegan and eat like ****.

Just in case you thought that or someone reading it did. Obviously, I'd like people to eat less meat but I'd rather they did it for real reasons

Nah it's fine, I don't believe they're inherently healthier but I always eat more vegetables/fruit when on a veggie diet so I do feel better - also my skin glows more and I look better without makeup, always a plus :smile:
They are if you are stuggling to get enough protein in your diet, they aren't as important as many would have you believe. You can very easily live without them. I personally haven't bought a packet of whey protein for about 2 years. And before anyone starts with the "I can't afford meat", I'm not rich, I'm on a student budget and I still manage to get enough protein in my diet, you just need to know how to shop right i.e. there's nothing wrong with iceland frozen chicken breast especially the price (£4 a kilo).
Reply 47
I read this article which says that you can get protein shakes which provide around 100g of protein per 100 calories:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/food-nutrition/muscle-foods/the-worlds-best-protein-sources-313853

The most I can find online, though, is whey protein shakes that provide around 20g per 100 calories. Is it really worth buying those as opposed to just eating normal protein-rich foods like chicken, beef and so on?

Does anyone know of a protein shake that's much higher in protein provided per calories?What's the actual point of them? I need around 190 grams of protein per day so not sure if I should just eat normally or not.

Hey there buddy, protein shakes offer nothing more than convinience in which they can be taken, along with offering a fairly rapid absorption which some argue is needed after a workout. Other studies though show this to be false and just hype, however if you are an althlete training very frequently a carb drink mixed with some protein post workout can help to you to a degree. Your best off hitting macros throughout the day, honestly though unless you will be continually ensuring protein is high in intake due to being on a hypertrophy specific routine or wanting to cut up, then the large amounts recommended are not useful !! Really most strength and conditioning athletes only need between 1.2-1.8g per kg a day !! So stick to a balanced diet man and your sorted !!
Reply 48
I dont take protein shakes but I do eat a fairly large amount of meat like 500g of mince with spaghetti (brown) (m&s not some water weight shop).

I dont buy shakes because I like eating more than drinking a shake and because I prefer spending £40 on food than on a tub of shake.

but protein shakes are worth taking but get ur stuff to carbs fats etc and eat your veg.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by TwilightKnight
The main point of protein shakes is to get a cheap source of protein into your body post work-out so that your body doesn't start catabolizing other muscle in order to maintain the stuff you've just built/ toned. So in that way, they're definitely worth it. 100g of protein in protein shake form might cost about 70p, whereas the same amount from chicken might cost £2-3, and also involves taking the time to prepare it, cook it and eat it. It's also already basically in amino-acid form a lot of the time and goes straight to purpose versus your body first having to digest the chicken.

When I first started going to the gym I didn't use protein shakes because I basically thought along the same lines, and often found myself not gaining muscle as quickly as I wanted to whilst also being hungry more. Bought 5kg of powder online (http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/pure-whey-protein-90.html) and although it didn't make a MASSIVE difference in muscle gain, it definitely improved it, and I also found myself cutting fat a lot faster than I had beforehand.

It's suggested that you eat between 2 and 2.5g of protein for each kg of body weight when at the gym minimum, and I just don't see a better way of doing that other than using protein shakes. I would definitely avoid the all-in-one solutions though, such as cyclone, unless you're a) loaded and b) someone who also needs the extra calories it provides in carb form (i.e, you go to the gym like twice a day) because you don't have time for other meals.

I won't debate the 2-2.5g number because I'm not sure myself on the numbers

But I'm pretty sure it's "x" amount of protein for each KG of LEAN bodyweight
Reply 50
I dont use them
Reply 51
Original post by zKlown
I won't debate the 2-2.5g number because I'm not sure myself on the numbers

But I'm pretty sure it's "x" amount of protein for each KG of LEAN bodyweight

How do you work out your lean bodyweight then? Calculate your body fat and estimate it from there? :smile:
Reply 52
How do you work out your lean bodyweight then? Calculate your body fat and estimate it from there? :smile:

Just use a rough estimate and don't worry about the tiny little details. Just shoot for a rough range. People agonise too much over pointless detail
Reply 53
I read this article which says that you can get protein shakes which provide around 100g of protein per 100 calories:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/food-nutrition/muscle-foods/the-worlds-best-protein-sources-313853

The most I can find online, though, is whey protein shakes that provide around 20g per 100 calories. Is it really worth buying those as opposed to just eating normal protein-rich foods like chicken, beef and so on?

Does anyone know of a protein shake that's much higher in protein provided per calories?What's the actual point of them? I need around 190 grams of protein per day so not sure if I should just eat normally or not.

100g protein for 100 calories is impossible as 1g protein is 4 calories. Maybe it meant 10g protein for 100 calories (which means it has carbs and fat)

Protein shakes are good if you like them. I do not really like them as I never feel full with them but it's quite good for slimming as the carbs/fat found in natural foods are much less in protein shakes
Reply 54

Bodyweight x Bodyfat percentage

Then take that number away from bodyweight for a decent estimate
Reply 55
Original post by bertstare
The whole idea of needing protein powder post-workout because without fast absorbing protein your muscles will " catabolise". And the idea that using protein powder makes any difference to muscle gat/fat loss.

If you use protein shakes purely for convenience reasons (ie. it's too tedious to always have to cook chicken) then fine, that's the reason I do it - but it makes no difference to muscle gain/physique and you don't by any means "need" them.

Well said, have no idea why anyone would give this a neg rating !! Too many people get caught up in the media these days !!
Reply 56
I'm not trying to bodybuild, I'm actually trying to lose weight but I'm going to be doing a lot of exercise (including lifting) so I was wondering if protein shakes provided more of the protein I'm going to need while adding less of the calories, if you see what I mean :smile:

instead of that better eat proper meals. chicken + barley + veggies for the dinner work fine for me (i've lost ~10 kilos in about 3 months!).
And do more HIIT - they are much better for loosing weight than free weights.
Reply 57
Original post by simon_g
instead of that better eat proper meals. chicken + barley + veggies for the dinner work fine for me (i've lost ~10 kilos in about 3 months!).

Thanks - really though? I thought free weights helped you build muscle (which burns fat faster). Also I've checked calories burned for cardio v intense lifting and it doesn't seem too different :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Thanks for the help dude-I was looking to try find some non-meat related protein sources, I'll give those LM sausages a try :smile:

They don't taste as good as Quorn sausages.

When you've grilled them, then cut them down the middle in half and grill the inside too.
Reply 59
Original post by simon_g

:facepalm:

Most kinds of weightlifting /are/ forms of high intensity interval training. Generally, you explosively lift weights for 10-30seconds, rest for 30seconds-3minutes and repeat.

On the other hand, most people who say they are doing HIIT are just going on a treadmill where it is pretty difficult to max out on intensity (max speed on most is not fast enough for sprinting)

Quick Reply

Latest