The Student Room Group

is engineering fulfilling?

Until recently I had been considering a degree in physics. I liked the idea of learning about the world around me. The thing I think a physics degree is missing is application. I like the idea of learning something purely theoretical and then being able to use my creativity to apply it in a useful way.

I am worried that I might feel unhappy in engineering though because it would leave out the study of the big questions about the universe etc. which physics tries to answer.
On the other hand, with an engineering degree - especially a general one - I can learn lots of useful life skills including a language and how to run my own business and I can leave university with a trade.

Would choosing engineering be detrimental to my thirst for intellectual challenge/stimulation? Maybe that sounds pretentious and naive but when I hear debates over which subject is best (stupid, but interesting all the same) that seems to be the consensus.

I think that probably a grounding in general engineering and later specializing in aeronautical is the route I would probably take if I were to apply for engineering. I would love to also learn some Japanese! Given that - could you recommend any courses that I should look at? I will be doing some research over the next week and applying for open days ASAP - I'm hoping there are still openings and I didn't leave it too late.

Thanks guys and sorry if the post is a little incoherent. I am just a little stressed about having such a late change of heart so close to the start of the application process.

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Until recently I had been considering a degree in physics. I liked the idea of learning about the world around me. The thing I think a physics degree is missing is application. I like the idea of learning something purely theoretical and then being able to use my creativity to apply it in a useful way.

I am worried that I might feel unhappy in engineering though because it would leave out the study of the big questions about the universe etc. which physics tries to answer.
On the other hand, with an engineering degree - especially a general one - I can learn lots of useful life skills including a language and how to run my own business and I can leave university with a trade.

Would choosing engineering be detrimental to my thirst for intellectual challenge/stimulation? Maybe that sounds pretentious and naive but when I hear debates over which subject is best (stupid, but interesting all the same) that seems to be the consensus.

I think that probably a grounding in general engineering and later specializing in aeronautical is the route I would probably take if I were to apply for engineering. I would love to also learn some Japanese! Given that - could you recommend any courses that I should look at? I will be doing some research over the next week and applying for open days ASAP - I'm hoping there are still openings and I didn't leave it too late.

Thanks guys and sorry if the post is a little incoherent. I am just a little stressed about having such a late change of heart so close to the start of the application process.

I once had this problem, went on a headstart EDT summer course... sorted it out.
Reply 2
Original post by natninja
I once had this problem, went on a headstart EDT summer course... sorted it out.

Can I ask what you decided in the end and why? Obviously I need to go and decide for myself but hearing others' experiences would really help :smile:

Thanks a lot!
Reply 3
Can I ask what you decided in the end and why? Obviously I need to go and decide for myself but hearing others' experiences would really help :smile:

Thanks a lot!

I just found the whole making things more efficient thing exceedingly dull... I like new stuff - not making good stuff better...

Physics doesn't have "less" applicability than engineering. It has different applicability, because they are different degrees. Engineering has more applicability to industrial projects, manufacturing, etc.

You are right though that engineering won't teach you about the big questions of the universe. But I can't see why you'd be more likely to learn a language than physics. I'd imagine it'd be the other way around to be honest given that there are lots of joint honours physics degrees but due to accreditation they're much less common in engineering.

You also won't learn a trade either... you're talking about an engineering degree, not a plumbing or electrical apprenticeship.
Reply 5
It's entirely possible to work around physics, the universe and the theoretical side of things as a graduate in engineering. For instance, at CERN, I'm sure they have at least 10 times as many engineers as scientists. All the exploration projects (satellites, space transport, etc) are built by engineers, so you could absolutely get stuck into work like that.

My university offers a scheme called "Add+Vantage" where one of your short modules is an extra-curricular subject. This means you could spend 10 weeks or so each year learning a language. I did pilot licence theory in my first year, but I've opted to do something surrounding film making. It's an opportunity to learn new things and get away from it all, really. Optional modules go from languages to humanities, arts, technology, etc. Other universities may offer similar things, so you should ask about it and see what they have scheduled in terms of languages and EC activities.

From my first year, I have to say that a lot of the engineering that I've been doing has mostly been an application of the mechanics modules you'd do in physics/mechanics (maths). There's also a great deal of design, electrical and pure mathematics involved. I did product design technology, maths, physics and electronics at college and my course was literally a continuation of those skills. If you're into that sort of thing, engineering could be a good opportunity for you. If you prefer the more theoretical and "weird" side of the physics (astro, nuclear, new discoveries, etc) then that would be your best choice.

And as mentioned, you're not learning a trade - you'll be a graduate in engineering and you won't be doing be fixing boilers, laying bricks or installing cabling, you'll be designing major systems! For instance, I'm looking at joining a company for my industrial placement who design aircraft landing gears, or perhaps working towards a career in F1.

When looking for a course (for engineering, if you go down that route), it would be sensible to pick a university who offer a sandwich degree (a degree with an industrial year out) so that you can work in industry for 6-12 months as you'll be able to find a lot more work opportunities (or even be offered a job) because of it. It does mean doing a 4 year Bachelor's degree instead of a 3 year course, but you'll be doing real-life work for some of it and it may help you to become employed. You might be looking for a quick path to becoming a graduate, but it could help you to become employed, so well worth it in the long run!

It also doesn't hurt to check that the course is accredited. It isn't the end of the world if it isn't, but it may help you to become chartered in the future. I'm not sure how the general engineering degrees work in that sense, but the course page will usually tell you this sort of information.
Original post by SillyEddy
It's entirely possible to work around physics, the universe and the theoretical side of things as a graduate in engineering. For instance, at CERN, I'm sure they have at least 10 times as many engineers as scientists. All the exploration projects (satellites, space transport, etc) are built by engineers, so you could absolutely get stuck into work like that.

My university offers a scheme called "Add+Vantage" where one of your short modules is an extra-curricular subject. This means you could spend 10 weeks or so each year learning a language. I did pilot licence theory in my first year, but I've opted to do something surrounding film making. It's an opportunity to learn new things and get away from it all, really. Optional modules go from languages to humanities, arts, technology, etc. Other universities may offer similar things, so you should ask about it and see what they have scheduled in terms of languages and EC activities.

From my first year, I have to say that a lot of the engineering that I've been doing has mostly been an application of the mechanics modules you'd do in physics/mechanics (maths). There's also a great deal of design, electrical and pure mathematics involved. I did product design technology, maths, physics and electronics at college and my course was literally a continuation of those skills. If you're into that sort of thing, engineering could be a good opportunity for you. If you prefer the more theoretical and "weird" side of the physics (astro, nuclear, new discoveries, etc) then that would be your best choice.

And as mentioned, you're not learning a trade - you'll be a graduate in engineering and you won't be doing be fixing boilers, laying bricks or installing cabling, you'll be designing major systems! For instance, I'm looking at joining a company for my industrial placement who design aircraft landing gears, or perhaps working towards a career in F1.

When looking for a course (for engineering, if you go down that route), it would be sensible to pick a university who offer a sandwich degree (a degree with an industrial year out) so that you can work in industry for 6-12 months as you'll be able to find a lot more work opportunities (or even be offered a job) because of it. It does mean doing a 4 year Bachelor's degree instead of a 3 year course, but you'll be doing real-life work for some of it and it may help you to become employed. You might be looking for a quick path to becoming a graduate, but it could help you to become employed, so well worth it in the long run!

It also doesn't hurt to check that the course is accredited. It isn't the end of the world if it isn't, but it may help you to become chartered in the future. I'm not sure how the general engineering degrees work in that sense, but the course page will usually tell you this sort of information.

(Sorry but this is my first post ever in TSR, I apologise if I have done anything wrong here.)

I am at the moment choosing between Physics and Engineering. These two subjects are something that I am quite interested in.

However, from a career perspective POV (which to be honest, reason why you want a degree is to enter the job market) does engineering classify itself as a professional qualification but Physics is simply an academical qualification?

Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by goodnight033
(Sorry but this is my first post ever in TSR, I apologise if I have done anything wrong here.)

I am at the moment choosing between Physics and Engineering. These two subjects are something that I am quite interested in.

However, from a career perspective POV (which to be honest, reason why you want a degree is to enter the job market) does engineering classify itself as a professional qualification but Physics is simply an academical qualification?

Thanks.

From all the threads I've read on this exact debate, it seems that both degrees have good job prospects with a lot of the jobs overlapping anyway. It's just that it is harder for a physicist to get a purely engineering job without some experience or extra training while engineers will not really get into anything purely physics related.
Apparently both degrees can lead to finance jobs as they both have a lot of maths and analytical skill usage.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
Physics doesn't have "less" applicability than engineering. It has different applicability, because they are different degrees. Engineering has more applicability to industrial projects, manufacturing, etc.

You are right though that engineering won't teach you about the big questions of the universe. But I can't see why you'd be more likely to learn a language than physics. I'd imagine it'd be the other way around to be honest given that there are lots of joint honours physics degrees but due to accreditation they're much less common in engineering.

You also won't learn a trade either... you're talking about an engineering degree, not a plumbing or electrical apprenticeship.

What can you apply from physics that you can't from engineering in everyday life? Maybe my view of engineering is wrong but I figure you would learn more useful/more readily applicable stuff.

By a trade I actually meant to say you would come out with a professional degree. My terminology isn't great - sorry for that!

In engineering degrees it was my understanding that there is better opportunity to spend time abroad so I figured it's a better way to learn a language. Maybe I was wrong about that too!

I think I am making inaccurate generalisations based on what I have read so far. Maybe I need to actually study what universities offering both courses have to offer and make a decision based on that!
What can you apply from physics that you can't from engineering in everyday life?

What do mean by everyday life?
Reply 10
Original post by Smack
What do mean by everyday life?

Good question! I thought that myself as I wrote it and hoped it would slip by! Lol

Maybe stuff like circuit building :dontknow: tbh, it was probably a bit of a stupid question!
Reply 11
Engineering is definitely fulfilling. Well, I guess that depends because I’ve always had a passion since I was a kid. I’d make anything out of anything. I must’ve gotten it from my father. Anyway, what I find fulfilling about it is the fact that you can get up and get your hands dirty!
I don’t think you can do that with physics (apart from experiments).
So it definitely depends on your personal preferences.

Quick Reply

Latest