The Student Room Group

is £100 enough to live on at university

not including accomodation do you think £100 is enough per week to live on?
Reply 1
It's plenty
Reply 2
It's about right.
If just thinking about food and not things like going out, alcohol and entertainment I could easily live off £10-20 so I think you'll definitely be good with £100 :smile:
Yeah definitely, more than enough as long as you manage it wisely :smile:
Reply 5
thats good then, i was uncertain as i have never had to work out financially what i can live on before, i dont really drink alcohol so that will take away some expense, i am more likely to spend more than i should on food, i like costa too much, and the uni i am at has a costa quite near by.
Reply 6
That's plenty. The household shopping in my house is around £100 and there's 5 of us. Just be smart with your money, and save a bit each month for any emergencies.
Reply 7
Original post by MissNix
That's plenty. The household shopping in my house is around £100 and there's 5 of us. Just be smart with your money, and save a bit each month for any emergencies.

how much would you suggest to be saved for emergancies? bare in mind i will have £400 a month spendature.
Reply 8
Have you budgeted for books and traveling home?
Reply 9
Original post by OU Student
Have you budgeted for books and traveling home?

no, i have not worked out book cost yet, travelling home would probably not happen that often, it is £20 per time though
Reply 10
Original post by Emma122
how much would you suggest to be saved for emergancies? bare in mind i will have £400 a month spendature.

Depends on how much you spend on things like groceries. If you have £400 a month, spend say a maximum £150 on everyday items like food and travel you have £250 left that can potentailly be saved. Though month by month spenduture tends to not be as strict as that unless you're really on a tight budget. If you can comfortabley live off of say £300 a month I'd suggest you consistantly put away £100. Though do this at the begining of each month, so you don't end up dipping into that £100 by accident.

Bare in mind you also have the intial costings of university to think about, buying your own kitchen equiptment, bedspreads,towels etc. So for the first few months you might not be able to make an accurate monthly budget , as there may be many mini "emergencies" that crop up while you settle.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by MissNix
Depends on how much you spend on things like groceries. If you have £400 a month, spend say a maximum £150 on everyday items like food and travel you have £250 left that can potentailly be saved. Though month by month spenduture tends to not be as strict as that unless you're really on a tight budget. If you can comfortabley live off of say £300 a month I'd suggest you consistantly put away £100. Though do this at the begining of each month, so you don't end up dipping into that £100 by accident.

Bare in mind you also have the intial costings of university to think about, buying your own kitchen equiptment, bedspreads,towels etc. So for the first few months you might not be able to make an accurate monthly budget , as there may be many mini "emergencies" that crop up while you settle.

thanks, i will make sure i do that, i would definatly feel more secure with emergancy savings. :smile: well i think my parents may pay for the initial spending for equipement. so that might not be a problem at the beginning. the only thing i can think of is if i get homesick at the beginning and feel the need to come home more often.
Reply 12
Lol the finance stuff is in the back my mind atm ... Right now... I need to get those dam grades! XD
Reply 13
Original post by karchun
Lol the finance stuff is in the back my mind atm ... Right now... I need to get those dam grades! XD

yeah well, definatly, with out the grades the finance does not matter anyway. i am not doing exams which is not do bad but have tons of coursework

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending