The Student Room Group

Can a teacher do this to me?

Hey

Basically, on Thursday I was walking out of my English classroom as usual and then suddenly I felt somebody grab the back of my collar and pull me back really hard. I thought it was a student, but I turned around and saw it was a teacher. They then grabbed me by the front of my collar and started literally screaming in my face saying "how dare you not apologize when you walk into a member of staff like that". At this point, loads of people were staring at me and I was really shocked and embarrassed. What made it worse, I didn't even walk into him. Everybody who saw it claimed he walked straight into me and then pulled me back, so how was I supposed to apologize for something I never even knew happened? (and it didn't happen!)

I was planning on reporting him but I don't know who to. The problem is, he's a deputy head which would make it a lot worse, and his wife is also a member of the leadership team. I'm scared to report him in case he suspends me or tries to get me expelled, but then again, many people did see it. Do you think I should report him?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, you should.
Definitely report it
Reply 3
Original post by ryanroks1
Hey

Basically, on Thursday I was walking out of my English classroom as usual and then suddenly I felt somebody grab the back of my collar and pull me back really hard. I thought it was a student, but I turned around and saw it was a teacher. They then grabbed me by the front of my collar and started literally screaming in my face saying "how dare you not apologize when you walk into a member of staff like that". At this point, loads of people were staring at me and I was really shocked and embarrassed. What made it worse, I didn't even walk into him. Everybody who saw it claimed he walked straight into me and then pulled me back, so how was I supposed to apologize for something I never even knew happened? (and it didn't happen!)

I was planning on reporting him but I don't know who to. The problem is, he's a deputy head which would make it a lot worse, and his wife is also a member of the leadership team. I'm scared to report him in case he suspends me or tries to get me expelled, but then again, many people did see it. Do you think I should report him?

Report him..........actually go to your mates and ask whether they are happy to back you up.
Then to your parents about whats happened, and arrange a meeting with the head teacher...................idiots like him have no place at school, they need to be kept far away from children.
Yes, you should report him, that is totally out of line. Just because he's a deputy head doesn't mean he can manhandle students, and the fact you didn't do anything makes it all the more galling.
(edited 10 years ago)
Try informing a staff member who knows you, like a form tutor?
They will know the sort of person you are, and may be able to point you in the right direction of what to do.
Reply 6
Since what he did was assault, which is illegal, and you have witnesses, it's quite likely you'd get him into a lot of trouble if you reported it. I say you should report it - don't let him get away with that sort of behaviour.
Well that was well out of order :eek:
If you are close to a few who saw, talk to them about it to make sure they saw exactly what happened, then mention it to the teacher you are most comfortable with.
Did you tell your parents?
My mum would have kicked ass.

Or just don't go to your next english class and when asked, say I'm sorry but I didn't come just incase you imagined me bumping into you and publicly humiliated me again...knob.
Reply 8
If you go to a private school, then that should be pretty much normal practice so no, don't. If you to to a state school then yeah, report it!
Report him, otherwise he will think he has gotten away with it and will most probably do it again, not to you maybe but another student.
Reply 10
Even if you had walked into him and not apologised, dragging a student by their collar and screaming in their face would be unacceptable, you should certainly report him. It's the duty of the school to deal with all complaints fairly, but if you're worried take it to your local educational authority, or governers if it's a private school.
Reply 11
Report his ass, trust me when I say that teachers hate it when your parents get involved.

Actually, threaten to inform Ofsted if nothing is followed through.
Reply 12
Original post by Iqbal007
actually go to your mates and ask whether they are happy to back you up.

Most important thing.
Reply 13
Report it, you didn't do anything and he just grabbed you like that... I wouldn't allow it :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
That's assault! Definitely report it and make sure you get a couple of witnesses to back you up, don't be afraid to get your parents involved as this is pretty serious. Hope you get everything sorted out!
Reply 15
definitely report it with backing up from witnesses
Reply 16
Sounds like the behavior of a bored sociopath.
Report him, thats extremely unprofessional. Staff are there to help you not to pull on your collar and yank you.
Reply 18
Original post by christanmu
If you go to a private school, then that should be pretty much normal practice so no, don't. If you to to a state school then yeah, report it!

Well I don't know what sort of private school you went to. Assault is assault.
Reply 19
Original post by DolallyDucky
Try informing a staff member who knows you, like a form tutor?
They will know the sort of person you are, and may be able to point you in the right direction of what to do.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I was going to do that but I thought that she might not be able to do anything, as he would technically be in charge of her.

I just told my parents and they're going to report it after half term. Would that be too late?

Also, another teacher saw it. I am contemplating going to see her after half term and asking her if she can inform the head, as she saw everything.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending