The Student Room Group

AQA Food Technology GCSE - 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am predicted a C/D in food and in my coursework i got a B, My teacher thinks im going to get a A/B in the exam but im not as confident as he is:P anyone got any advice on which i can make myself more confident ?
Thanks
Hiya I was predicted an E and got an A* (full UMS) ermm I'm not sure what works best for you but I did:
@ ALL the past papers
@ read up on the latest products (things that have been designed recently etc)
@ tried to get ideas of possible scenarios
@ Learned all the terms in the Letts glossary
@ Went over environmental problems, they always seem to link that in some how
@ wrote lists for people with particular diets and ways of overcoming this
@ thoroughly learnt all the nutrients we need in a diet and health problems if there was a lack of anything
@ Quickly skimmed through mass-produce for food :smile:

You'll find most of it was common sense in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
I'm taking this too! I got an A* in coursework but I don't know the marks and an A in the mocks but they were a long time ago. My teacher said she expects me to get an A* in the exam too but it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm going to do some major cramming tomorrow, mainly on nutritional properties and smart foods. Also, the exam was written two years ago so your knowledge doesn't have to be that recent!

For my designs I'm doing Macaroons and Cheese Straws.
Reply 23
Original post by amyyalice
I am also taking this exam! :smile:

For the design ideas for the biscuits, what do you write for them? That is one of the areas which I know is quite straightforward but I always miss marks for them, just because I don't spend enough time on that question! Is there certain things you have to put to gain marks?

For the design question, you just have to sketch the two designs and annotate them fully, with things like key ingredients and methods, how they meet the design specification, nutrients provided etc.

This is the markscheme for last year's paper:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-45451-W-MS-JUN12.PDF

So if you look at the design question (Q.1.b)i)), you'll see the kind of things that can get you marks!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 24
And the cramming starts now..
Reply 25
Original post by CloUpsidedown
Just be careful if you do vegetarian or vegan as ioice rather than a dietary need...
Some people in my class did vegetarian in a mock and the teacher gave them no marks ...

For the design question you need to sketch the product and annotate it thoroughly:b

do you think you could post a picture of yours here? i left mine at school.
What sort of things is everyone revising?:smile: and the biscuits I am learning are basic shortbread, pinwheel biscuits, viennese biscuits, cheese shortbread and oatie biscuits
Reply 27
revise the functions of ingredients. what each thing does. i'll link you to a good page which tells you what to revise. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4545-W-SP.PDF i think page 9 could be useful.
Reply 28
Original post by Chloe_Atherton
What sort of things is everyone revising?:smile: and the biscuits I am learning are basic shortbread, pinwheel biscuits, viennese biscuits, cheese shortbread and oatie biscuits

I'm now just going over modified starches ('smart foods'), and also cultural/religious needs, as they both seem to be popular topics to come up in exams!

And your biscuit ideas sound good, I'm just learning some generic shortbread and oat biscuit recipes, then I'll probably just add fruit or flavourings to adapt to the specification :smile:
Original post by saffire
I'm now just going over modified starches ('smart foods'), and also cultural/religious needs, as they both seem to be popular topics to come up in exams!

And your biscuit ideas sound good, I'm just learning some generic shortbread and oat biscuit recipes, then I'll probably just add fruit or flavourings to adapt to the specification :smile:

That's what I'm doing, and there is so much to learn:/ i want an A* so i need to get 75% because i got 100% in my coursework
Reply 30
This is a simpler version of the specification I made! You need to know everything on here pretty much but in depth and with your own knowledge etc.

http://www.2shared.com/file/Ztwt-F0-/Food_Tech_GCSE.html
Reply 31
Original post by NinJake
This is a simpler version of the specification I made! You need to know everything on here pretty much but in depth and with your own knowledge etc.

http://www.2shared.com/file/Ztwt-F0-/Food_Tech_GCSE.html

Thank you! This is brilliant! :smile:
Reply 32

Do you have to learn that many biscuit recipes? I was only going to learn 2 or 3! :s-smilie:
Original post by amyyalice
Do you have to learn that many biscuit recipes? I was only going to learn 2 or 3! :s-smilie:

no its up to you, but we dont know what the specification will be, so its better to learn a few, both sweet and savoury
What do you think will be on the exam in section B?
Reply 35
no its up to you, but we dont know what the specification will be, so its better to learn a few, both sweet and savoury

That is very true! I've learnt one for sweet, one for savoury but I might try and learn a couple more now! :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by saffire
Thank you! This is brilliant! :smile:

Hi, sorry the link doesn't work..how do I download this? Thanks x
Does anybody have an idea on what the final question will be on? the 10 marker? :smile:
Reply 38
Does anybody have an idea on what the final question will be on? the 10 marker? :smile:

I've done no revision and I'm literally dying. I achieved an A* in my controlled assessment so even if I gain an E, I'll average out a C. LOL :frown: What are you revising on? Topics?
In biscuits if you had to develop them for dietary needs would this be okay?
Vegan - use soya margarine
Coeliac disease - use gluten free flour
Nut allergy - dont use nuts
Lactose intolerant - lactose free spread, no chocolate

Can anybody think of anything else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending