AQA Food Technology GCSE - 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Good luck, let's hope for the best! :smile:
Reply 61
Exam went ok i think! Hope everyone elses did! :smile:
Reply 62
How did everyone find it?

Wasn't as bad as I was expecting! :smile:
I think it went ok, a lot better than I thought, section A was a lot different though, I was more expecting a method instead of just controls, but how nice that each design was 9 marks!) So hopefully I will get an A and then overall that's an A* with my coursework. I've probably lost a few odd marks, but most things I understood. :smile:
Did anyone else find the question about the shape and structure of the strawberry jelly, chocolate muffins and icing on a cake really vague?

what did you guys write about for the question on the gelling agent?

Overall, i found it really good and it went well :smile: the first section was much better than it has been - only having to do the quality control made it less rushed i found!
Original post by CloUpsidedown
Did anyone else find the question about the shape and structure of the strawberry jelly, chocolate muffins and icing on a cake really vague?

Overall, i found it really good and it went well :smile: the first section was much better than it has been - only having to do the quality control made it less rushed i found!

I agree, I didn't really know what to put. I put answers and made educated guesses, but I didn't fully know what it was looking for.

For the gelling one I think I put something about a suspension and then how it sets a dessert when it is put into the fridge because of the cool temperatures. (I wrote more but I can't remember everything)

But yes, overall it was ok! And I agree, I finished section A really fast because I'd already planned out my designs before. However, I would have actually preferred to have done a method like usual because I would have probably got better marks on that (because I didn't like that it gave us controls we had to write about, I'd rather just pick my own. I just hope I wrote the appropriate ones in the appropriate boxes...)
Reply 66

Yes, I also agree, I found them a bit vague and tried to answer them the best I could!

I put about gelenatization... and how it works!

I was so glad the first question was about quality control, as I had revised that! Also I was glad standard components came up as I had revised that thoroughly!

What did you all put for the fairtrade products 8 marker and the one about CAD??
Original post by amyyalice
Yes, I also agree, I found them a bit vague and tried to answer them the best I could!

I put about gelenatization... and how it works!

I was so glad the first question was about quality control, as I had revised that! Also I was glad standard components came up as I had revised that thoroughly!

What did you all put for the fairtrade products 8 marker and the one about CAD??

You didn't have to write out the process of gelatinisation as it was only 3 marks...All i wrote was that after gelatinisation, as the product cools, it becomes a solid state which is known as a 'gel'. However, when heated strongly, it has the potential to revert to its previous liquid form. The fairtrade one i wrote obviously the definition of the farmers receiving an equal share of the profits made from the company distributing their products and the increase was due to people gaining knowledge about company's exploitation of these farmers which has pushed them to purchase these products. I wrote about ethical issues and cultural aspects towards this subject also. There were a few questions i dropped marks on however, i feel it went relatively well. What are your thoughts on the possible boundaries for an A?
Reply 68
Original post by RayanAlim97
You didn't have to write out the process of gelatinisation as it was only 3 marks...All i wrote was that after gelatinisation, as the product cools, it becomes a solid state which is known as a 'gel'. However, when heated strongly, it has the potential to revert to its previous liquid form. The fairtrade one i wrote obviously the definition of the farmers receiving an equal share of the profits made from the company distributing their products and the increase was due to people gaining knowledge about company's exploitation of these farmers which has pushed them to purchase these products. I wrote about ethical issues and cultural aspects towards this subject also. There were a few questions i dropped marks on however, i feel it went relatively well. What are your thoughts on the possible boundaries for an A?

Yeah, I know, I forgot that bit though so I decided to put the whole process in the hope of getting a mark!

That is also what I wrote for the fairtrade and how the media have also highlighted this and advertising for fairtrade products have also increased sales!

I'm not entirely sure, but by guessing I'd say around 80-90 marks? :smile:
In terms of grade boundaries I'm not sure if they might be one or two marks lower than last year because there were quite a few vague questions which could have cost a few people's marks. I think last year's paper was maybe slightly easier (I think I've done better at that one which we did as a mock) and the Section A last year was more typical of the other past papers, whereas this year it focused on control checks that some people might not have revised as much as the method itself.

So if it's one mark lower it might be:

A* - 104
A - 90
B - 76
C - 62
D - 51

Of course I don't know how everyone else has done, but I don't think it'll be much different to last year, possibly a few marks either way (cause it could go up, but I think it's more likely to stay the same or go down a little bit.)
could anyone make a list of the questions (answers not needed) because im really paranoid that ive missed out a page :/ you dont have to do them all just the ones that you remember pleaseee

:afraid:
Reply 71
I didn't like the design question at all, I found it hard to say why each biscuit is an individual portion; and would have known exactly what to put if they hadn't made us do just quality control checks.
Reply 72
Original post by NinJake
I didn't like the design question at all, I found it hard to say why each biscuit is an individual portion; and would have known exactly what to put if they hadn't made us do just quality control checks.

We had to write about individual portions? Whaattt!? I must've missed that out *face palm*
Reply 73
Original post by Flo_xo
We had to write about individual portions? Whaattt!? I must've missed that out *face palm*

I missed that out too! :O
Original post by radhikagulati
could anyone make a list of the questions (answers not needed) because im really paranoid that ive missed out a page :/ you dont have to do them all just the ones that you remember pleaseee

:afraid:

first question: design question
second question: pizza analysis of results table
third question: can't remember
fourth question: food worker error question (i think)
fifth question: strawberry jelly, muffins and icing question
sixth question: explanation of sustainable and environmentally friendly, fairtrade 8 marker and question on fridge / freezer temperatures
Reply 75
first question: design question
second question: pizza analysis of results table
third question: can't remember
fourth question: food worker error question (i think)
fifth question: strawberry jelly, muffins and icing question
sixth question: explanation of sustainable and environmentally friendly, fairtrade 8 marker and question on fridge / freezer temperatures

Do you know what it specified about individual portions on the design question?
Original post by Flo_xo

The design criteria was:

suitable for a food allergy
have sensory appeal
be suitable for individual portions
be suitable for batch production

there could have been one more - can't remember :P but it definitely said individual portions
Reply 77
The design question was alright I thought, and overall section b was ok, but some questions were really weird. I was a bit shocked that Fairtrade was the 8 mark question- I was expecting something about sustainability and food miles or something.
Original post by Flo_xo

how did you get on?
Reply 79
how did you get on?

Much better than I thought, I got an A in the exam, A* in the coursework which meant I got an A altogether! After two years of my teacher telling me I'd get a C altogether, I think I've done pretty well! How did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending