The Student Room Group

Retaking c1 and c2 as modules in a2 year.

Hi

I screwed up C1 and C2 which comprimised the S1 i did well in. Can I retake C1 and C2 without comprimising my uni application?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GrandMasterChe

Any advice would be much appreciated, and I apologise if I am acting melodramatically.

EDIT

I guess you did not really want advice

Why did you edit out the long post from the OP after people had responded?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi

It's not too bad. Learn from your mistakes :smile:

Also I might add whilst it is not too wise to have too many retakes in the case of maths once you've done the harder modules the previous ones will seem like a piece of cake :wink:
Although that is not to encourage any cockiness when it comes to retakes :s I just meant as in you will find the content easier. Ah IDK.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Revengeissweet
It's not too bad. Learn from your mistakes :smile:

Also I might add whilst it is not too wise to have too many retakes in the case of maths once you've done the harder modules the previous ones will seem like a piece of cake :wink:
Although that is not to encourage any cockiness when it comes to retakes :s I just meant as in you will find the content easier. Ah IDK.

how do unis take retaking tho?
how do unis take retaking tho?

As long as you're not retaking too many you're fine.
With a good personal statement and excellent reference you should stand a good chance at most :smile:
Reply 5
As long as you're not retaking too many you're fine.
With a good personal statement and excellent reference you should stand a good chance at most :smile:

so retaking c1 and c2 is fine as long as i do well in both, get good grades in other a2's which i believe i can as i think ive done well with lit and rs, and then that added to reference and personal statement and i'm good?
so retaking c1 and c2 is fine as long as i do well in both, get good grades in other a2's which i believe i can as i think ive done well with lit and rs, and then that added to reference and personal statement and i'm good?

Yeah for most unis it should be alright although it really depends on how high up you're aiming. But yeah you should be fine :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Yeah for most unis it should be alright although it really depends on how high up you're aiming. But yeah you should be fine :smile:

was planning on lse, warwick, notts.
Reply 8
yes
was planning on lse, warwick, notts.

What course? I've forgotten since you edited your OP
Reply 10
What course? I've forgotten since you edited your OP

lol wasnt in my op anyway. um economics and philosophy joint degree, where an a in maths is vital and im confident of attaining that resitting both c1 and c2 and its fair to say this experience will help me not stumble into procrastinating habits when it comes to a2 maths or at least i hope not
Reply 11
UCL and LSE are my top two i think, warwick do ppe but not economics+philo unlike the other two. notts would be okay too but it doesn;t seem to be as highly rated as the other 3. i think lse would be awesome personally. being right in the city aged 18-21 can only be fun :smile:
lol wasnt in my op anyway. um economics and philosophy joint degree, where an a in maths is vital and im confident of attaining that resitting both c1 and c2 and its fair to say this experience will help me not stumble into procrastinating habits when it comes to a2 maths or at least i hope not

Oh then work at the maths. I've heard economics at degree level is very maths-intensive. But get the right predictions and you'll be fine!
Reply 13
Oh then work at the maths. I've heard economics at degree level is very maths-intensive. But get the right predictions and you'll be fine!

damn i feel so much better thanks to all the great advice. i never seriously thought i'd have to retake anything, and when it's as big a subject as maths it really freaked me out. but as long as I redeem myself by putting in the work I should still have a chance at going to a really good uni.

damn i feel so much better thanks to all the great advice. i never seriously thought i'd have to retake anything, and when it's as big a subject as maths it really freaked me out. but as long as I redeem myself by putting in the work I should still have a chance at going to a really good uni.

The calculus will seem easy in C1/C2 once you have done C3/C4.
From experience many pupils who go back do very well yet fall down on sequences and series (arithmetic/geometric).
It might be an idea to keep up to speed in these areas.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by m4ths/maths247
The calculus will seem easy in C1/C2 once you have done C3/C4.
From experience many pupils who go back do very well yet fall down on sequences and series (arithmetic/geometric).
It might be an idea to keep up to speed in these areas.
Good luck :smile:

thanks for the advice!

gahh it feels good to know i was just being melodramatic. I guess going to a school where everyone's so on it so to speak, talking about getting 100 ums in modules and stuff it freaked me because of how underwhelming my c2+c1 performance was in relation..
thanks for the advice!

gahh it feels good to know i was just being melodramatic. I guess going to a school where everyone's so on it so to speak, talking about getting 100 ums in modules and stuff it freaked me because of how underwhelming my c2+c1 performance was in relation..

Generally speaking only 30-35% of students sitting C1/C2 go over 80 UMS.
These are the students who have made it that far too. Remember many don't even get to the first exam in AS maths.
I wouldnt' let others influence the way you feel about your own success.
100 UMS in modules is not the norm and wanting to do better is excellent.
Some of my students this year have shown great character to go through revising/learning again to better their grades. :smile:
Reply 17
UCL and LSE are my top two i think, warwick do ppe but not economics+philo unlike the other two. notts would be okay too but it doesn;t seem to be as highly rated as the other 3. i think lse would be awesome personally. being right in the city aged 18-21 can only be fun :smile:
You might get into UCL, but most likely not LSE. Their requirements are ridiculously high. Realistically you need to be predicted a couple of A* at A2 and have a near perfect gcse profile. They don't interview, unlike oxbridge which is why it is so high.
Reply 18
Original post by Namige
You might get into UCL, but most likely not LSE. Their requirements are ridiculously high. Realistically you need to be predicted a couple of A* at A2 and have a near perfect gcse profile. They don't interview, unlike oxbridge which is why it is so high.

I feel like I could be predicted A* at A2 for RS and Eng Lit potentially where I feel I've scored high. At IGCSE level I got 4A*,3A and 2B which is a decent set tbh especially because the 2 bs were two of my choices, as opposed to two core subjays.

I feel like I've got a chance tbh esp. if I can raise my maths game with the retakes man.
Reply 19
I feel like I could be predicted A* at A2 for RS and Eng Lit potentially where I feel I've scored high. At IGCSE level I got 4A*,3A and 2B which is a decent set tbh especially because the 2 bs were two of my choices, as opposed to two core subjays.

I feel like I've got a chance tbh esp. if I can raise my maths game with the retakes man.
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2014/economics.aspx

The competition is extremely high. Just look around on their website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending