The Student Room Group

Good grades but wrong subjects!- retake year 12?

Okay, let me first say that I do not want to do a foundation year. I want to do the right Alevels- to fulfill my own dreams if nothing else. Basically, I've nearly finished my AS exams and so far they've gone pretty well. I'm predicted all As (fingers crossed for results day...) But basically I want to study chemical engineering and I haven't taken physics or any mechanics modules in maths. Why? Because I had no idea that I wanted to do engineering at all until half way through year 12. I could squeeze the m1 and m2 modules in next year and perhaps find a way to get a physics AS level, but I really want to do it at A2 as well. I mean, like REALLY. This would probably have to be done in an extra year, but you have to get your A-levels done in 2 years. So now it feels like my only option is to start over with the right subjects. I know resitting is looked down upon (more so by some unis than others) but if I am very clear that it isn't because of grades but because of subjects (and if I write down the grades that I achieved the first time round as well as in the resits to prove it) will it still affect my application? I mean, surely I shouldn't be penalised for not being able to make the right choices when I was in year 11...? I have so many interests, I nearly wanted to go for law or architecture (I took art this year for architecture) or medicine. I've been told by my teachers that I'd be successful in any of these and my GCSE results offered me many paths to choose from. It's not fair for one wrong decision to affect my future. I've still worked hard. I just want a fresh start, now that I've finally stopped arguing with myself over what i want to do with my life (and I'm confident that I've found my dream job this time). And the fact that I'm willing to redo a whole year for this must show how much I want it.
Okay, sorry for the rambling; I just had a lot to get off my chest.
Basically, can I redo it or not...
Reply 1
Your best bet would be to go to UCAS and find some appropriate universities (based on what you fancy studying and which grades you predict you'll get). Then, email them and ask them about it. They can give you an official answer.

Some universities won't care, but others may want you to have taken a certain number of module in that resit year to qualify as having done enough "effort" to prevent you from just boosting grades.
Reply 2
Original post by SillyEddy
Your best bet would be to go to UCAS and find some appropriate universities (based on what you fancy studying and which grades you predict you'll get). Then, email them and ask them about it. They can give you an official answer.

Some universities won't care, but others may want you to have taken a certain number of module in that resit year to qualify as having done enough "effort" to prevent you from just boosting grades.

Thanks I'll try ringing and emailing and what not. But the point is [I'm hoping] that my grades won't actually change the second time round...as in they shouldn't need to if all goes well.
Reply 3
Ask your college if its possible to do physics A level in one year some places might let you, it will probably be very difficult as you would be doing both AS and A2 classes at the same time but its possible i know a few people at my old college wyo did that....but good luck with whatever you decide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by katie55
Ask your college if its possible to do physics A level in one year some places might let you, it will probably be very difficult as you would be doing both AS and A2 classes at the same time but its possible i know a few people at my old college wyo did that....but good luck with whatever you decide

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woahh no chance they'll let me do that. I mean, 4 A2s, 1 AS and an extra maths module all at once...?!
Reply 5
They might do a fair few people do 5 A levels, would be extremely difficult is there not something else that you can drop to lighten the work load?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
This is giving me a headache :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by katie55
They might do a fair few people do 5 A levels, would be extremely difficult is there not something else that you can drop to lighten the work load?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm...what if...I do biology chemistry maths A2, and physics AS in year 13. Then apply a year late (i know many people who have done this and they got offers very quickly because they already had A2 results) with deferred entry so I can do physics A2 in an extra year. Because as long as you have maths and chemistry you can get accepted, so the extra year will just be for my own knowledge, not to get onto the course. Also, it would give me a chance to get more long term work experience, finish another violin grade...etc....
Reply 8
It is completely up to you and what you feel happy doing, you could always email uni's and see if they would accept you without but you shouldnt be penalised because of the extra year, i'm quitting my current uni course after one year and changing to business and reapplying at different uni's i emailed some and asked if my chances were lower because of this but no one seemed to really care so they shouldnt about you :smile: plus you will know most of your grades when you do apply so you know what you can apply for
Reply 9
Why not drop everything but chemistry, maths and do the whole physics A level. That way your workload will be manageable and you still have a really good combination of subjects.
Reply 10
Original post by katie55
It is completely up to you and what you feel happy doing, you could always email uni's and see if they would accept you without but you shouldnt be penalised because of the extra year, i'm quitting my current uni course after one year and changing to business and reapplying at different uni's i emailed some and asked if my chances were lower because of this but no one seemed to really care so they shouldnt about you :smile: plus you will know most of your grades when you do apply so you know what you can apply for

Right. I feel a lot better after discussing it. Thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Pomum96
Right. I feel a lot better after discussing it. Thank you :smile:

:smile: good luck hope everything goes well for you

Quick Reply

Latest