The Student Room Group

The Graduate Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slowbro93
:lolwut: That's longer than an essay :erm:

Could you send me over the link? I've applied to a lot of uni jobs (where I got to interview stage for many) and you'll be fine if your whole app is 500 words tbh

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AKJ533/administrator/

It's quite ridiculous. Then the page has

Spoiler

Although coming to think of it its asking for some work in the HE sector. Was hoping to try and get my way through. I'm probably a little too inexperienced for this one. Could probably get an interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by King Leonidas
Sooooo.....how'd it go:smile:

It went ok actually! I didn't want the interview to end which is a good thing, right?

The worst part of it was forgetting Oscar Wilde's name:

"I saw...err, umm, err [****, oh my god what am I doing? Oh wait, I'm actually being interviewed right now and two interviewers are waiting for me to speak actual words. Damn! I've blown it!]... prison cells.

I later made light of it by saying: "the line I blundered: I meant to say I saw Oscar Wildes' cell at Reading Prison whilst I was filming on location".

The chances of me getting it is about 2:1 (4 people (including me) are being interviewed for the 2 internships they're offering). The last person is being interviewed tomorrow so I should hear back this week, probably Thursday. Whatever happens, I'm happy to have gotten this far :smile:

How is everything with you? Promising news? :smile:
One of the worst requirements I've seen for a job (it was a governmental job for data analysis, something I spent 3 years doing as a Psychology undergrad) was a typing qualification! WTF! Who needs a typing qualification these days?

Hate the feeling of accomplishment that comes from filling in an application form (takes me over 2 days if I'm starting a Personal Statement from scratch) only to submit it with confidence and never hear back from them again :frown:
Original post by itsmyname
One of the worst requirements I've seen for a job (it was a governmental job for data analysis, something I spent 3 years doing as a Psychology undergrad) was a typing qualification! WTF! Who needs a typing qualification these days?

Hate the feeling of accomplishment that comes from filling in an application form (takes me over 2 days if I'm starting a Personal Statement from scratch) only to submit it with confidence and never hear back from them again :frown:

Yeah I know that feeling.
Original post by jam277
Yeah I know that feeling.

If you are looking for admin experience within unis have a look at roles based within admissions if you have any student facing experience :smile:
If you are looking for admin experience within unis have a look at roles based within admissions if you have any student facing experience :smile:

I love Slowbro. But that looks more like a Slowking you have there.
Original post by Tom_Ford

What on my avatar? That's defo slowbro, but in my SIG I know I have slowpoke :tongue:
Original post by Tom_Ford

The shellder is on the tail, so it's a slowbro I think.

Slowking has the shellder on its head.

Problem is I don't have it in a undergraduate sense.

I've done tutoring to younger people and have done youth work but that's about it. No actual tangible experience working with Students in higher education.
Received a conditional job offer for an IT position paying £28k. Just waiting for background checks to be processed and I will get a start date.

Dont give up guys, Just get as much relatable experience as you can and relate it to the job you apply for

good luck!
Discovered today that I'm unlikely to pass my PGCE because I'm unlikely able to complete 100 teaching hours (no fault of my own). I'm considering just leaving now because at the end of the year I can either a) complete the teaching hours in September (however I won't be paid for them nor will I I be able to claim benefits or any sort of student finance) or b) leave with nothing to show for it. So a bit of a lose-lose situation. Trouble is I'm wondering how its going to look when I apply for jobs and what to say in interviews if I'm asked why I dropped out?
Original post by gemmam
Discovered today that I'm unlikely to pass my PGCE because I'm unlikely able to complete 100 teaching hours (no fault of my own). I'm considering just leaving now because at the end of the year I can either a) complete the teaching hours in September (however I won't be paid for them nor will I I be able to claim benefits or any sort of student finance) or b) leave with nothing to show for it. So a bit of a lose-lose situation. Trouble is I'm wondering how its going to look when I apply for jobs and what to say in interviews if I'm asked why I dropped out?

Do you have to do 100 hours in September, or can you carry over what you have already done?
Do you have to do Monday-Friday, or can you do 1 day a week for a few weeks?
Personally, I would try and finish the course in September and either save enough money to cover the few weeks I'm teaching, or get a part time job to go around it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarkMagic
Do you have to do 100 hours in September, or can you carry over what you have already done?
Do you have to do Monday-Friday, or can you do 1 day a week for a few weeks?
Personally, I would try and finish the course in September and either save enough money to cover the few weeks I'm teaching, or get a part time job to go around it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Carry over what I've done. I don't know what I can do. I can't afford to save and there's no guarantee I will get a part time job (plus I wouldn't be able to live on what I'd just get from a part time job anyway). Plus I don't really trust the college to give me those hours in September; I'm in this position due to their lack of organisation in the first place. I am looking into transferring credits over and completing it somewhere else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by imabigboynow
Received a conditional job offer for an IT position paying £28k. Just waiting for background checks to be processed and I will get a start date.

Dont give up guys, Just get as much relatable experience as you can and relate it to the job you apply for

good luck!

What experience did you have?
Original post by jam277
What experience did you have?

experience relevant to the role I got
Original post by imabigboynow
experience relevant to the role I got

Yeah what experience relevant to the role?
Original post by jam277
Yeah what experience relevant to the role?

Squeezing blood from a stone:rofl:
I got the job! :woo:

I at least have something to do for 6 months.

So pleased - and to think I was suffering from depression this time last year. I guess circumstances can change :smile:
Reply 818
And I have an interview on Thursday! (Admittedly only with an agency, but it's promising :h:)
Original post by Iamyourfather
I got the job! :woo:

I at least have something to do for 6 months.

So pleased - and to think I was suffering from depression this time last year. I guess circumstances can change :smile:

Well done, proud of you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending