The Student Room Group

The Graduate Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Who?Knows
Bad news. The job I had with a family member has officially come to an end so now I am truly unemployed. It wasn't much hours in the first place but it was something to break the monotony. Considering returning to volunteer work.

Don't get me started on aptitude tests :tongue:

They're evil. I can do them under normal circumstances but I panic when it's timed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
They're evil. I can do them under normal circumstances but I panic when it's timed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here. I always seem to do well on the verbal reasoning but the numerical often lets me down.
Reply 122
Original post by biffyclyro27
Hi everyone :wavey:

This thread has been made in response to my suggestion for a new Graduate Forum section (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2343127&p=42823630).

This is a place for graduates to discuss anything related to life after university, whether it's about starting a graduate job, moving back in with your parents or moving into a new place, here's the place to post it!

I'll start us off by asking what have you been doing since leaving university?

(p.s. this is only in the careers section as it seems the most appropriate place available. This doesn't limit the topic of conversation to careers.)

Since graduating from uni with a 2:1 in Maths in 2011, I then completed a masters in Mathematical Finance with a pass graduating in September 2012.

I then struggled to find any related job to the degree I studied, I had no work experience at that point. After countless graduate scheme applications and the furthest I kept getting was the psychometric tests. I ended up doing unpaid voluntary work in Finance and Accountancy at my local council from October 2012 - January 2013. I got this by going round my local town and handing out CVs, the council got back to me with an opportunity of voluntary work, which I snapped up as it kept me busy and was related to my degree whilst filling up any gaps on my CV.

Whilst working there the council wanted to keep me on, however it was a low wage and it was a job aimed at school leavers. FortunatelyI had a phone call from an agency who invited me to an interview at a blue chip, FTSE 100 company during Jan 13. I went along to the interview and got the job at a higher wage than the council and aimed at graduates! I started in Feb 13 for an initial 6 month contract, contracted to the agency. After my 6 month review my contract was then extended for another 6 months. My manager then went through the permanent process within the company in Feb 14, which I applied for and got!

Graduates my advice is if you think you are stuck and nothing is coming your way, patience is a virtue. Furthermore try and get some voluntary work related to your degree to stop gaps on your CV. This will enable you with something to do during the week whilst searching for paid jobs whilst providing yourself hands on experience.

:smile:
Well I have an interview tomorrow for hobbs, but it's only weekend work, but it'll keep me going if I get it. Also found an intriguing job in Edinburgh for 3 months aimed at grads which pays £110 a day which would be lovely, it's on the gov website so I assume it's not a scam.

Update: so interview went fine got a trial on Wednesday, however in the interview it seemed very sales focused, she said not hard sales vut thats what it sounded like. After years in the call centre I vowed to stay away from sales. I hate it lol. I also go two emails today one from a jewellers and one from this pension one I talked about, got an interview for the jewellers and yhe other one wants to talk to me when they sort out dates for an assessment centre, so looking good. Still don't know if it's real though lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
My story is an optimistic one, just to give some hope out there!

During my 2nd year I bombed my exams with poor marks, so going into 3rd year I believe they best I could get was a 2:2, which would edge me out of a lot of jobs. Due to that I didn't bother applying to a lot of grad schemes and the ones I did apply to my motivation was nonexistent.

Move onto close to my exam period and I start applying for jobs in property, as studying law I actually found Land Law interesting. I passed a telephone interview and went to a face to face where they offered me the job 20 minutes after I had left, saying I had given the best answer they have ever received for the written scenario.

I actually secured this job before my exams were finished and before my degree result. It wasn't a job I needed my degree for but I love it.

I actually ended up graduating with a 2:1 in Law, so I am considering applying to grad schemes this September, mainly interested in the Hmrc scheme as I would possibly be able to stay in Reading if I somehow managed to get on it.

It's not all doom and gloom out there guys, I promise!
See I have a 2:1 in law too but I don't think it's law I want to to into. Then any job interviews they are like....why do you not want to work in law and I never really have an answer lol
Original post by Alarae
My story is an optimistic one, just to give some hope out there!

During my 2nd year I bombed my exams with poor marks, so going into 3rd year I believe they best I could get was a 2:2, which would edge me out of a lot of jobs. Due to that I didn't bother applying to a lot of grad schemes and the ones I did apply to my motivation was nonexistent.

Move onto close to my exam period and I start applying for jobs in property, as studying law I actually found Land Law interesting. I passed a telephone interview and went to a face to face where they offered me the job 20 minutes after I had left, saying I had given the best answer they have ever received for the written scenario.

I actually secured this job before my exams were finished and before my degree result. It wasn't a job I needed my degree for but I love it.

I actually ended up graduating with a 2:1 in Law, so I am considering applying to grad schemes this September, mainly interested in the Hmrc scheme as I would possibly be able to stay in Reading if I somehow managed to get on it.

It's not all doom and gloom out there guys, I promise!
Original post by lyrical_lie
See I have a 2:1 in law too but I don't think it's law I want to to into. Then any job interviews they are like....why do you not want to work in law and I never really have an answer lol

I was asked this, and I just twisted the question back at them. I said that by studying land law it sparked an interest in property for me and while I don't use my law knowledge exactly it does give me a useful foundation for understanding the legal ramifications of my work.

Try to locate an aspect of your law course that could apply to the job you are applying for and link it like that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alarae
I was asked this, and I just twisted the question back at them. I said that by studying land law it sparked an interest in property for me and while I don't use my law knowledge exactly it does give me a useful foundation for understanding the legal ramifications of my work.

Try to locate an aspect of your law course that could apply to the job you are applying for and link it like that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep - transferable skills is what you have and what they want to hear.
Hey thought it was about time I joined this thread. Graduated with a 2:1. Originally wanted to do teaching but that hasn't gone to plan. Not quite sure what to do now :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I graduated back in 2010 in Law with Accounting. I've worked in retail and call centres since. Still looking for my ideal job but I've no idea what that is, I just know its not what I'm doing atm. I'm waiting to hear back from a company I interviewed at last week, and have another interview lined up for Friday but I have a terrible track record with interviews so I'm really not hopeful of getting either.

I would love to quit my current job and be unemployed for a while but I think I'd crack up if I wasn't able to get something else.
Does anyone know of any sites where you can do a questionnaire to give you an idea of which careers would be suitable? I've already done the one on prospects but it just gave me really random results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
Does anyone know of any sites where you can do a questionnaire to give you an idea of which careers would be suitable? I've already done the one on prospects but it just gave me really random results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Found this one helpful: http://www.careertest.net/
Original post by Slowbro93
Found this one helpful: http://www.careertest.net/

Thanks results still pretty random but have actually done/considered a few of them in the past.

Spoiler

These tests can be useful but take a second opinion by seeing a careers adviser at Uni too.
Original post by TheCareersGuy
These tests can be useful but take a second opinion by seeing a careers adviser at Uni too.

Already seen him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ughh fed up with this. So tempting to want to go back to uni and have someone give me money!
Rewrote my CV and now I am getting a lot of phonecalls for further stages/interviews. Magic.
Original post by DarkMagic
I graduated back in 2010 in Law with Accounting. I've worked in retail and call centres since. Still looking for my ideal job but I've no idea what that is, I just know its not what I'm doing atm. I'm waiting to hear back from a company I interviewed at last week, and have another interview lined up for Friday but I have a terrible track record with interviews so I'm really not hopeful of getting either.

I would love to quit my current job and be unemployed for a while but I think I'd crack up if I wasn't able to get something else.

Have you considered something consultative, like a call center mentality, but better paid and decent conditions. With that kind of experience, you have a wide range of things you can do.
Ughh fed up with this. So tempting to want to go back to uni and have someone give me money!

I know the feeling and it has only been a couple of months for me! Going to have to start signing on soon, I'm dreading it. I'm trying to get on a PGCE on clearance, not feeling too hopeful about it though :/

After my first month or so of grad job searching I decided I wanted to do midwifery just because all the other options looked so depressing. Three years on a funded course seemed very appealing, but obviously that's not the reason to choose a career. The first few years as a grad are tough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending