The Student Room Group

Betting Discussion (Mark II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nerd2
total deposits is 409.00 GBP and 637.85 GBP total withdrawals. I had a much higher profit margin a few months back, but I started to bet stupidly with my winnings, which has meant I am only £200+ in the green at William Hill.

Thats good keep those figures on a piece of paper,lol and sleep with the damn thing if needed!!
Reply 21
Janowicz is being hugely overpriced right now, look for him to go behind on serve then lump at evens.
Reply 22
Original post by SloaneRanger
Thats good keep those figures on a piece of paper,lol and sleep with the damn thing if needed!!

why would I need to sleep with it?
cant believe real didnt win that, benzema you fat **** cost me £50+
Reply 24
uoi.jpg

maddness!!
Original post by Nerd2
uoi.jpg

maddness!!

You hear stories like that all the time... but that doesn't speak for the majority of gamblers...i hope that was you.....btw i meant keep your profit and loss close to you, I look at mine daily!
Original post by Nerd2
uoi.jpg

maddness!!

just like the lottery, 999/1000 people will lose £10 on those bets but one will win massive.
Reply 27
Bet365 in play betting was messing up in ET!

The odds were fluctuating for no reason. I got no more goals in the 119th minute at 1.5, as soon as i placed the bet, it went down to 1.2 lol
Reply 28
Original post by xxbradkennedyxx
just like the lottery, 999/1000 people will lose £10 on those bets but one will win massive.

Yeah true, in the past I have hit 2 100/1 accumulators, I have only been betting a few months. If I put £10 on instead of £1 on those accumulators, I would have had £2000, one of those coulda, woulda, shoulda moments.

Also that guy won £1300 from a £20 acca last month as well. I wonder if how many he lost though.
Reply 29
You hear stories like that all the time... but that doesn't speak for the majority of gamblers...i hope that was you.....btw i meant keep your profit and loss close to you, I look at mine daily!

Yep, I defiantly will do from now on. My profit from all bookies collectively is roughly £400, I am going to start organising my bets better after these exams, because I honestly don't know what I have done with this money lol. I need to set targets and think about putting the money into ISAs or whatever.
Original post by Nerd2
Yep, I defiantly will do from now on. My profit from all bookies collectively is roughly £400, I am going to start organising my bets better after these exams, because I honestly don't know what I have done with this money lol. I need to set targets and think about putting the money into ISAs or whatever.

ISA rates are bad because of the bank of england, i personally just stick them into bonds so i cant re gamble the money etc! Then 18 -24 months later or whatever the term is just re roll the bond. Putting money into an ISA pretty much means tax efficiency,so you dont want to withdraw it from there, otherwise if you do you cant replenish that tax free amount.
Original post by KD35
Bet365 in play betting was messing up in ET!

The odds were fluctuating for no reason. I got no more goals in the 119th minute at 1.5, as soon as i placed the bet, it went down to 1.2 lol

365 and Hills are the worst site in my opinion to bet with, its good for looking at scores etc....try PP and yeah they are even slower then 365 for price changes, if any of you watch tennis, you can even take advantage of that.

Ive been using betbrain to moniter inplay markets, keep up all the betting websites and then you get the best price in play.... it alerts you.
Reply 32
The biggest every win I had, in terms of stake to winnings, was when I won Last Man Standing on Paddy Power.

Think that was effectively 1077/1
Original post by pane123
The biggest every win I had, in terms of stake to winnings, was when I won Last Man Standing on Paddy Power.

Think that was effectively 1077/1

Ive never had anything like that before just because ive never placed a bet on anything above 20/1.
Reply 34
Ive never had anything like that before just because ive never placed a bet on anything above 20/1.

Last Man Standing is just a game where you pick a team to win every week. Costs £1 to enter and can last up to 15 weeks or so.

Normally the biggest price I would take on a horse would be around 15/1.
Original post by pane123
Last Man Standing is just a game where you pick a team to win every week. Costs £1 to enter and can last up to 15 weeks or so.

Do you think the way someone like yourself, wouldn't take a price bigger than that, is a way of showing some sort of logical thinking or deeper analysis of what your betting? I always thought people that chase the bigger odds are the compulsive gamblers....
Reply 36
Do you think the way someone like yourself, wouldn't take a price bigger than that, is a way of showing some sort of logical thinking or deeper analysis of what your betting? I always thought people that chase the bigger odds are the compulsive gamblers....

It's almost a time saving thing for me. Sometimes a horse over 15/1 might stand out and I will bet on it, but most of the time they can be disregarded as having no chance and are just there to make up the numbers. A horse at 100/1 should quite often be 200/1 or more in reality, as will be reflected in the Betfair prices. However, because bookies offer E/W, they have to cut the odds.

Like you say, most people who place a bet at massive odds will be doing it in the hope of a big return, but that's all it is - blind hope.
Reply 37
Original post by pane123

Nearly forgot about Last Man Standing. I'm made it to week three, 365 people still in the tournament.
Reply 38
Original post by Nerd2
Nearly forgot about Last Man Standing. I'm made it to week three, 365 people still in the tournament.

Still a long way to go, I'm afraid, but that's quite a low number for only the 3rd week. It gets quite tense towards the end because you have no idea who the others have got on.
Reply 39
Original post by pane123
Still a long way to go, I'm afraid, but that's quite a low number for only the 3rd week. It gets quite tense towards the end because you have no idea who the others have got on.

I'm hoping the fact that I haven't yet selected Man Utd, Chelsea or Tottenham, might put at a slight advantage.

Quick Reply

Latest