The Student Room Group

M1 Impulse/Momentum

Hello again. :smile: Is anybody able to show be how to do the following?

A ball of mass 0.4kg is dropped from a height of 2.5m. After hitting the ground it rises to a height of 1.8m. Find (a) the speed with which the the ball rebounds from the ground and (b) the impulse the ball receives from the ground.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Argh. What an idiot. Forgot about a=-9.8 on the way back up !!:redface:
Reply 2
does that mean you´ve got it - before I start to think about it?
Reply 3
Sorry. Yes, got that one sorted. Stuck on the following though (and the search function isn't working as usual)... so if you're still in the mood for thinking... :wink:

Particle A of mass 1kg is at rest 0.2m from the edge of a smooth horizontal 0.8m high table. It is connected by a light inextensible string of length 0.7m to a particle B of mass 0.5kg. Particle B is initially at rest at the edge of the table closest to A but then falls off. Assuming B's initial horizontal velocity to be zero find the speed with which A begins to move.
Reply 4
I'm not sure about this one, not sure if I'm picturing it right, but see what you think.

First, I assume A starts to move when B has fallen 0.5m below the edge of the table.

Use v^2 = u^2 + 2as to find the speed of B at this point (3.13 m/s)

So, if this is a momentum questions, I assume we now use conservation of momentum? Momentum of B just before A starts to move is 0.5 x 3.13 = 1.56.

So momentum of total system once A also starts to move is the same as this, so the speed of the two together is momentum / mass = 1.56 /1.5

Does that sound right?
Reply 5
Particle A of mass 1kg is at rest 0.2m from the edge of a smooth horizontal 0.8m high table. It is connected by a light inextensible string of length 0.7m to a particle B of mass 0.5kg. Particle B is initially at rest at the edge of the table closest to A but then falls off. Assuming B's initial horizontal velocity to be zero find the speed with which A begins to move.

to make it much easier to solve this kind of problems , you should analyse what you have.
1.they both move in the same direction so both velocitys are +
2.the speed of A when the string becomes taut , is the initial speed.
now standard suvat protocool:
u = 0
s = 0.7-0.2 = 0.5
a = 9.8
v = ?
v2 = u2 + 2(as) (sub values)
v2 = 2(0.5 * 9.8) = 9.8
v = sqr(9.8)
now standard conversion of momentum protocool
m1 = 1kg
m2 = 0.5kg
u1 = 0
u2 = sqr(9.8)
v1 = v2
all speeds are in the same direction and both final speeds are equal.
m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v + m2v (sub values)
1*0 + 0.5*sqr(9.8) = 1*v + 0.5*v (simplify)
1.5v = 0.5*sqr(9.8)
v = (0.5*sqr(9.8)) / 1.5 = 1.04 (3 s.f)
hope this helps.
Reply 6
lol! i literally did that question about 10 minutes ago :tongue: m1 edexcel right?
Reply 7
Original post by Codefusion

to make it much easier to solve this kind of problems , you should analyse what you have.
1.they both move in the same direction so both velocitys are +
2.the speed of A when the string becomes taut , is the initial speed.
now standard suvat protocool:
u = 0
s = 0.7-0.2 = 0.5
a = 9.8
v = ?
v2 = u2 + 2(as) (sub values)
v2 = 2(0.5 * 9.8) = 9.8
v = sqr(9.8)
now standard conversion of momentum protocool
m1 = 1kg
m2 = 0.5kg
u1 = 0
u2 = sqr(9.8)
v1 = v2
all speeds are in the same direction and both final speeds are equal.
m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v + m2v (sub values)
1*0 + 0.5*sqr(9.8) = 1*v + 0.5*v (simplify)
1.5v = 0.5*sqr(9.8)
v = (0.5*sqr(9.8)) / 1.5 = 1.04 (3 s.f)
hope this helps.

Hey why did you "0.7-0.5" to get s?
and also how did the masses change on the second part of the equation?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest