The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Tommy Robinson Misunderstood - Please Watch

Scroll to see replies

Tommy Robinson is a ****ing idiot.
Original post by SloaneRanger
He has quite a following Anjem Choudary, enough for it to be a security issue for this country.....

As for definition of a hooligan, you shouldn't necessarily judge looks of an individual and defining them hooligans.....being stereotypical isn't going to help the situation.

I don't call them hooligans because of the way they look, but rather because of the way they act in their so called "protests". Smashing things up, chanting racist chants and engaging in unprovoked fights warrants the label "hooligan". As for Anjem Choudary, his following is very small in comparison to the number of muslims in the UK, but I will agree that the rest of the muslims are doing nothing to derail his campaign which is why he seems to be so prominent during discussions involving Islam in the UK, and always seems to be the go-to-person for interviews on the BBC and such, which is a great shame as he obviously doesn't represent the majority.
Reply 42
Original post by maskofsanity
I don't think people are saying they are against atheism or being anti-religion/Islam but rather, they are against the EDL's methods and their lack of intelligence to form coherent arguments against religion. Hitchens gave brilliant rebuttals; EDL members struggle to remember their name and use violence not reason.

They're not career intellectuals. Their argument is that they don't like the fact that their way of life is being slowly pushed aside in favour of a growing population with a culture that is hostile to their own. They have a right to not like the situation. It's not about RACE, it's about CULTURE.
Why should they be shouted down and told to 'integrate' or just put up with it? Are Muslims on the whole adjusting to western values, or are they saying like our **** or lump it and we'll throw a (violent) tantrum?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ham22
They're not career intellectuals. Their argument is that they don't like the fact that their way of life is being slowly pushed aside in favour of a growing population with a culture that is hostile to their own. They have a right to not like the situation. It's not about RACE, it's about CULTURE.
Why should they be shouted down and told to 'integrate' or just put up with it? Are Muslims on the whole adjusting to western values, or are they saying like our **** or lump it and we'll throw a (violent) tantrum?

Career intellectuals, what do you want more then Oxbridge/UCL/Imperial grads supporting the EDL? London Met? I have to say the people that seem to be criticising the EDL go to lesser institutions, they are the uneducated....
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ham22

You've misunderstood me - I understand where they are coming from, I am simply disagreeing with their methods. That was the point I was making - Hitchens argued with critical reason in debates and publications, not smashing things up with a load of hoodlums. The underlying point being that the war against religion ought not to be a violent or disorganised one. The EDL are a shambles; they have no idea what they're doing most of the time.
You've misunderstood me - I understand where they are coming from, I am simply disagreeing with their methods. That was the point I was making - Hitchens argued with critical reason in debates and publications, not smashing things up with a load of hoodlums. The underlying point being that the war against religion ought not to be a violent or disorganised one. The EDL are a shambles; they have no idea what they're doing most of the time.

It is the "will of god" that will determine the outcome, this will be reflected in time.
Come again?

It will be interesting to look at this moment in time, in years to come with hindsight.
Reply 47

Oh yes, very misunderstood. The British equivalent of the KKK if you ask me.
Original post by sorafdfs

Oh yes, very misunderstood. The British equivalent of the KKK if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXJCwdty7vM

Latest

Trending

Trending