The Student Room Group

architectural technology vs architecture

hi
so i applied for architecture and architectural technology on ucas at hudds uni and leedsmet uni. i love architecture, design and drawing. i know that AT focuses more on the technical and engineering aspect of architecture but i dont know it in details.
i am not the kind of person who spend many hours a day studying cuz i simply get bored. i got two offer both architectural technology so id like to know how similar AT is to architecture. does it have a lot of designing in it or is it completely different? am i in trouble??
Reply 1
Original post by homayoun
hi
so i applied for architecture and architectural technology on ucas at hudds uni and leedsmet uni. i love architecture, design and drawing. i know that AT focuses more on the technical and engineering aspect of architecture but i dont know it in details.
i am not the kind of person who spend many hours a day studying cuz i simply get bored. i got two offer both architectural technology so id like to know how similar AT is to architecture. does it have a lot of designing in it or is it completely different? am i in trouble??

If you get bored from studying or doing work then architecture or even university is probs not your best choice! :P Takes a lot of hard work to do well.

I'm studying AT it does include engineering, surveying and science but still heavily focuses on design. Its a great course and you'll get a lot out of it. However, if you want to become a fully chartered Architect then pure architecture is the only way really.

Its a personal choice. I wanted to know how my building i've designed stands up and fits together rather than spending countless hours drawing (although i still do that) AT fulfilled that criteria,

After the AT course you can do a masters in architecture if you want or many others related to the building industry. Its a very broad course.

Message me if you have and specific questions.
Reply 2
Hi thanks a lot for replying. What happens after you finish AT? How many years is it till its finished completely? And what will you be at the end it? I mean the sort of job you can find and also the qualification?
Reply 3
Original post by homayoun
Hi thanks a lot for replying. What happens after you finish AT? How many years is it till its finished completely? And what will you be at the end it? I mean the sort of job you can find and also the qualification?

Its a 3 year course with optional year placement at degree level to obtain a BSc or BA depending on which one you choose. Afterwards you can register with CIAT and become an associate. After 10 years experience in the field you can then qualify to be an Architectural Technologist.

Architectural Technicians or Technologists can work alongside Architects or run their own practice. I've been told they are a valued member to any architectural practice.

Although with this course you can branch out into construction management, surveying, conservation or history. Its very broad.

Check out http://www.ciat.org.uk/
Reply 4
Original post by Gunnerzz
If you get bored from studying or doing work then architecture or even university is probs not your best choice! :P Takes a lot of hard work to do well.

I'm studying AT it does include engineering, surveying and science but still heavily focuses on design. Its a great course and you'll get a lot out of it. However, if you want to become a fully chartered Architect then pure architecture is the only way really.

Its a personal choice. I wanted to know how my building i've designed stands up and fits together rather than spending countless hours drawing (although i still do that) AT fulfilled that criteria,

After the AT course you can do a masters in architecture if you want or many others related to the building industry. Its a very broad course.

Message me if you have and specific questions.

What was your first day of Architectural Technology like, what happened as soon as you got into the class? I haven't been given much information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending