The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) FP1 10 / 6

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
ohh ok so the Imz=-2 is an error? should defo be below? so do you always suppose z= a+bi to solve these? I was using that only to find the centres and stuff....

I don't know. What was the question? Is is from past paper?
Well, you do that when you want to find the point at which the half line starts as well as when you want to find a centre of a circle.
Original post by purplemind
For Imz=-2, I don't know why it is above. I think it should be below.
For arg(z-4i) look at this. First you put it in the form arg(z-(a+bi)) then (a,b) is your starting point.
arg(z-4i)=3/4pi
arg(z-(0+4i))=3/4pi
So the starting point is (0,4) which is above the x-axis.

btw when solving equations do you use triangular form? I tend to just cancel out terms and find solutions even with three equations and three unknowns...do you reckon that's ok?
it was just an example our teacher used...probably made a mistake....btw how do you draw z + z*=6 on an argand diagram?
btw when solving equations do you use triangular form? I tend to just cancel out terms and find solutions even with three equations and three unknowns...do you reckon that's ok?

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'triangular form'.
As long as they don't say they want you to use a particular method and you get all the solutions right, it should be fine.
I'm not really sure what you mean by 'triangular form'.
As long as they don't say they want you to use a particular method and you get all the solutions right, it should be fine.

ohhh didn't your teacher teach you triangular form? its the method used in the book too? btw how do you draw z + z*=6 on an argand diagram?
Reply 25
This may be pretty trivial, but I've got really awful drawing skills; are we allowed to use compasses/protractors to help us to draw the Argand diagrams in the exam?
ohhh didn't your teacher teach you triangular form? its the method used in the book too? btw how do you draw z + z*=6 on an argand diagram?

Well maybe I use it but I don't know if it is called a triangular form or not.
To be honest, I don't know what they really want here. From what you give me, I would be able to find Rez=3 or just a point (6,0) which is z+z*.
Well maybe I use it but I don't know if it is called a triangular form or not.
To be honest, I don't know what they really want here. From what you give me, I would be able to find Rez=3 or just a point (6,0) which is z+z*.

lol that's the answer!! how do you know its Rez=3??
Original post by Morgyb96
This may be pretty trivial, but I've got really awful drawing skills; are we allowed to use compasses/protractors to help us to draw the Argand diagrams in the exam?

yeah im sure you are...the drawings don't have to be accurate though right...like the angles and stuff?
lol that's the answer!! how do you know its Rez=3??

z+z*=6
Let z=a+bi
Then z*=a-bi
a+bi+a-bi=6
a+a=6
2a=6
a=3
Therefore z=3+bi
(You can't find b from the information you have).
So Re(3+bi)=3 :smile:
z+z*=6
Let z=a+bi
Then z*=a-bi
a+bi+a-bi=6
a+a=6
2a=6
a=3
Therefore z=3+bi
(You can't find b from the information you have).
So Re(3+bi)=3 :smile:

thanks so much for all your help!! really appreciate it :smile: have you done all the past papers? how are you revising for this exam? you seem to know the stuff well...
thanks so much for all your help!! really appreciate it :smile: have you done all the past papers? how are you revising for this exam? you seem to know the stuff well...

You're welcome. :smile:
I have done all the past papers from Jun 05 to Jan 13 (I was doing them from March as we finished the syllabus then). :tongue:
Yes, I'm revising. Right now, I'm doing roots of polynomial equations, then I will do complex number, 3x3 matrices and at the end I will go through the questions on past papers that I did wrong.
You're welcome. :smile:
I have done all the past papers from Jun 05 to Jan 13 (I was doing them from March as we finished the syllabus then). :tongue:
Yes, I'm revising. Right now, I'm doing roots of polynomial equations, then I will do complex number, 3x3 matrices and at the end I will go through the questions on past papers that I did wrong.

does anyone know where I can find the grade boundaries for the older papers from jan 2010? is anyone has a list of them or something would really appreciate it...
Reply 33
Can anyone help me with June 11 Q10
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/60425-question-paper-unit-4725-further-pure-mathematics-1.pdf

I remember when i finally understood this but i can't remember why, can anyone assist me with it?
Reply 34
Original post by zcanf
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/60425-question-paper-unit-4725-further-pure-mathematics-1.pdf

I remember when i finally understood this but i can't remember why, can anyone assist me with it?

Sub the given substitution into the equation and then use exponent rules.
Reply 35
Original post by zcanf

What's the problem in particular?

For part 1, just do the substituion of x = u^-1/2
You will get 1/urootu + 3/u +2 = 0
Move the first term to the right and square. Then multiply the whole equation by u^3, and rearrange into the form required

For part 2, it should be quite simple, since after making the substituion, you are just looking for the (-b/a) and then the c/a.
Reply 36
Does anyone have any idea how to do Q 8 part 2? I fail to see a pattern?
Reply 37
Anybody got a list of identities we should know for roots of polynomial equations?
Reply 38
Original post by hi1345

What do you mean by pattern? Are you sure you're answering the question how it wants to? As in, proof by induction?
Original post by hi1345

the fractions cancel in pairs of three....look at the first second and third rows...2/3-3/3+1/3 cancel and follow that pattern...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending