The Student Room Group

Palisade cells past paper question

Hi,

I'm currently working through some BIOL2 papers (AQA exam board). I've come across the paper January 2010 on question 1biii.

I understand from the mark scheme that chloroplast are pushed to the edge of the cells for light absorption but do not understand why the shape of the palisade cell being long and thin to give a large surface area for contact to sunlight and light absorption is not included in the mark scheme, even though it's stated in my revision book?
My book also states 'numerous chloroplasts arrange themselves in the best positions to collect the maximum amount of light' which also is not in the mark scheme.

I realise this is just a one mark question but it's odd that it's in my book and not all the information is covered by the mark scheme.

Cheers,
Reply 1
To be honest, as it's only a one mark question, it'd be safe to say that they're long and thin in order for the maximum absorption of light.
I'm also doing BIOL2 next week and likewise have had no prior knowledge into why they are long and thin!

Quick Reply

Latest