The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Catch 22 Situation

Basically I failed three modules a couple of years ago, I took on too much and failed pretty hard. I want to study again but I have to provide evidence that there were circumstances that made it impossible for me to to the course. My main problem is that I feel I wasn't given the right advice, don't get me wrong my tutor was fantastic at the time and really helped me out advising that I take on a level 1 course, at the time I did try but told that there was no possible way for me to get onto the course. By this point I was in a catch 22 situation, if I dropped out of the level 2 course I would be put on restricted status and if I failed I would be put on restricted status, needless to say I failed.

Has anyone else been through this?
Reply 1
Hi atishoo (and bless you by the way!)

I have been under restricted status since 2009. I gained a BA Open without honours in 2007, which, if I am honest, is possibly one of the most useless qualifications imaginable. I signed up to two 30 point courses in order to gain an honours degree. I submitted the final assignment for one of them a day too late and it was not marked, and withdrew from the other because of a variety of problems that hit me all at once.

Still intent on gaining an honours degree, I signed up for a 60 point course in 2009. The tutor prided himself on being unapproachable. He sent a letter out telling his students not to contact him on a Sunday (working full time and on Saturdays meant that Sunday was often my "OU Day"). He would never answer mails and the only time he did answer a mail was when I asked him if he had marked an assignment I had sent him three weeks previously, in which he informed me that he could not download the pdf file and asked me to send it again.

At the same time, I experienced some very nasty workplace bullying that left me incapable of performing normal household tasks, let alone concentrate on OU assignment. I contacted student support asking if it was possible to change tutor. I was told it was not possible and that tutors are not contractually obliged to be open to contact on a Sunday.

Due to the personal problems I was experiencing, something had to give and I withdrew. Shortly afterwards the letter arrived telling me that I was under restricted registration. So, now I have the unique experience of having a certificate while still being made to feel a complete failure.

Anyway, I wish you all the best!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hi Atishoo (bless you by the way!)

I too have had a similar experience. I had an horrendous period of time when everything went wrong and made a mess of two modules (withdrew from one, and sent in my final assignment too late on the other and it went unmarked). Eager to obtain an honours degree, I was able to register for another course. The tutor on that course was so unapproachable it was unbelievable. He sent us a letter at the beginning of the course telling us he did not want to be contacted on a Sunday. I worked late nights twice a week and every other Saturday, so Sundays were often my OU catch up day. My tutor would never answer emails and it was not until I contacted him about an assignment I submitted three weeks earlier that he decided to tell me that he had a problem downloading the pdf file. I asked student support for another tutor and they said no. Due to some workplace bullying I had a breakdown and started to struggle with everyday tasks, so I just had to withdraw from the course. Hence I am under restricted status and have managed a bizarre achievement - having a degree from the OU while still being made to feel a failure! I wish you all the best for the future.
Reply 3
Hi All...
Am currently an Ou student completeing my last module of a childhood and education based Open Degree. Am horrified to hear of the problems you both faced but were neither of you aware that you can apply for an extension on your TMAs? It states in the course guidelines that the tutor is not obliged to mark TMAs that are submitted late and some courses will not even allow late submissions if done digitally.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with acquiring an Open degree (with or without honors) depended on what modules make it up and what you intend to use it for. An Open degree still shows that you are capable of carrying out University level work... but then i would be biased seeing as mine is proving to be quite useful due to some of my modules acting as standalone qualifications.

Saying that though I am aware of how frustrating it can be to work with some tutors (especially the finicky ones that mark low and give unhelpful feedback or none at all) but to be honest I personally dont tend to interact with my tutors too much anyway.. and wouldnt expect one to be contactable on a Sunday.. especially as some act as tutors for multiple courses and can have numerous students and assignments to deal with alongside their own fulltime jobs!

Did you do three modules at once!? Ive only ever carried out two at a time and that itself can be a slog (again Ou only advise that you do a maximum of two modules at once, and do attempt to persuade you from that also)

Theres not really much advise i can give other then to state your case honestly, explain that you took on too much at once, had personally problems and couldnt cope. Your intention this time round should be to slow it down a bit i guess and take it easy...

Good Luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest