The Student Room Group

Language for references

Hello guys,

Im studying in a University in Mexico, but im applying to study an MSc in the UK, and I have seen most universities require 2 references.

The thing is, I dont know if I can really trust any of my teachers to write the reference since they all speak Spanish and I dont think their level of English is good enough to write a proper reference.

What would happen in this case ?, can I ask past employers or the principal of the university to write the references ?
Reply 1
Why not get the references in Spanish and provide a professional translation. Presumably you will have to provide a translation of your results transcript anyway.

Personally, I think admissions in the UK would wonder why you didn't have references from current teachers.
Reply 2
fdZ
OP
Original post by Ellim
Why not get the references in Spanish and provide a professional translation. Presumably you will have to provide a translation of your results transcript anyway.

Personally, I think admissions in the UK would wonder why you didn't have references from current teachers.

I thought about doing this, and yeah I need to get my transcripts translated anyways, but I thought I was not supposed to see the references at all, I thought teachers had to submit them directly to the university ?
Reply 3
Original post by fdZ
I thought about doing this, and yeah I need to get my transcripts translated anyways, but I thought I was not supposed to see the references at all, I thought teachers had to submit them directly to the university ?

You could ask the teachers to submit them to a translator and then to submit the translation to the uni? Check with the uni first what their recommended procedure is though!
(edited 10 years ago)
Ask the university. You are probably one of hundreds of applicants in this position. I suspect they will be happy to accept a reference in broken / imperfect English. Having recent references is what's most important.
Reply 5
fdZ
OP
Thanks for your answers everyone, I apreciate them.

Ill just email each university im interested in attending, and ask them directly.
Reply 6
Original post by psychedelicious
Under Data Protection in the UK you're allowed to see anything an institution has on you. This includes references I believe.

But, that only comes into play after the uni has received the references, not before...
Reply 7
fdZ
OP
In that case he/she could provide the originals and translations to avoid any accusations of tampering. In addition to this, the originals should be on university headed paper / stamped by the university / signed in ink by the referee. Preferably they'd be all three.

This seems like a valid option.

I guess it will depend on each unviersity, so probably the most intelligent thing to do is to just email each of them and ask.

Thanks again for your answers guys.
Reply 8
fdZ
OP
No problem. I'm in interested in Latin America btw, did my undergraduate dissertation on Central America.

Living in Latin America is a great experience, people here are all friendly, they love to party, its great to grow up in countries like Mexico. Im living in Cancun atm, which is also great for partying haha.

I have also lived in the Dominican Republic in the past, and it was great there as well. Other than that ive also been to Costa Rica (really nice country, full of awesome scenery).

You should come and visit Latin America, most countries are full of incredible places to visit.

What topics did you talk about on your dissertation about Central America, if I may ask ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending