The Student Room Group

Help with trigonometric integration question

I was thinking to do integration by parts, but the mark scheme says otherwise and I don't understand the mark scheme. Please explain, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by DoeADeer
I was thinking to do integration by parts, but the mark scheme says otherwise and I don't understand the mark scheme. Please explain, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that sin(x)\sin(x) before the bracket? In which case I'd recommend expanding the brackets :smile:

EDIT: As to what the markscheme's done it's done the reverse chain rule.
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
Is that sin(x)\sin(x) before the bracket? In which case I'd recommend expanding the brackets :smile:

EDIT: As to what the markscheme's done it's done the reverse chain rule.

Yeah, sinx. How'd I integrate sinxcosx though?! I am tearing my hair out at this simple question aghh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
sinxcosx is the same as 1/2sin2x (double angle formulae.... sort of.)

EDIT: Looking at the image of the markscheme... lol what on earth did they do there???
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Yeah, sinx. How'd I integrate sinxcosx though?! I am tearing my hair out at this simple question aghh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if I told you sin(A+B)=sin(A)cos(B)+cos(A)sin(B)\sin(A+B) = \sin(A)\cos(B) + \cos(A)\sin(B)
Would that be enough of a hint? :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Another
sinxcosx is the same as 1/2sin2x (double angle formulae.... sort of.)

Original post by joostan
What if I told you sin(A+B)=sin(A)cos(B)+cos(A)sin(B)\sin(A+B) = \sin(A)\cos(B) + \cos(A)\sin(B)

I still haven't got it.
Could you explain how I've gone wrong please??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I still haven't got it.
Could you explain how I've gone wrong please??

Posted from TSR Mobile

integral of sinx is -cosx, negative not positive

You don't need to change cos2x at all btw, (although it should still give you the same answer. Not wrong, just long.) Just substitute pi and 0
Original post by joostan

Using your method, I get 1/4 cos2x - cosx + c, is this what you got? However, the mark scheme has a different result.
Reply 8
Original post by Lackadaisical
Using your method, I get 1/4 cos2x - cosx + c, is this what you got? However, the mark scheme has a different result.

The markscheme uses the reverse chain rule. I've not actually checked the results, but what you should find is that the solutions are the same, only the + c is different.
For a definite integral, this won't make any difference :smile:

EDIT: Yep - the constant is different but the forms are equivalent. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Lackadaisical

That's -1/4cos2x - cosx. The results are the same, I've checked it :biggrin:
Original post by Another
That's -1/4cos2x - cosx. The results are the same, I've checked it :biggrin:

Yes, of course, ok :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest