The Student Room Group

A levels or BTEC for engineering?

I am planning to go to uni and study for a degree in electrical engineering.

I had really poor attendance this year because of bullying (which stopped halfway through) and several bereavements so I failed two of my choices because they were vocational and my Welsh baccalaureate (worth 3 GCSE's) because of the same issue. I'm now skating along and looking at getting 7 GCSEs at maximum.
If I fail one of my English GCSEs and my Geography GCSE (I missed some of the Controlled assessments so it might drag me down) then I won't be able to go to my school's sixth form and do A levels.
If this happens then my backup is to go to college and do a BTEC extended diploma in electrical and electronic engineering. But will this prepare me as well for uni as A levels will? and will most uni's accept me with just the extended diploma or do they all want an A level or two as well?

Thanks. Answer quickly guys! (Well I guess you don't have to, but it would be appreciated!)
Reply 1
Your in luck cuz I have all the answers for you.

I did AS levels flopped cuz of many things (weed,badcrowd, lazyness)

I then did BTEC Extended Diploma Engineering. Im in my 2nd year, Im predicted D*DD (Distinction) = AAA - at A levels

I got an offer from Bristol Uni to do Electrical Engineering. (Top 5 in UK)

Pros: The course is easier than A levels. Its easier to get higher UCAS points than A levels.
there is 18 modules, there is a mixture of coursework and exams. short exams but lots of them.

Cons: The course is designed for minimal teaching and for the student to do research outside of the classroom. all the people that had not failed their 1st or 2nd year of A levels didnt know what failure was and have been lazy and didnt get into any Uni so beware it will make you lazy as it is only a 3-4 day a week course which requires u to learn most yourself.

Since it is easier, you dont go as in depth in maths and physics as you do at A levels so when you start Uni you need to take extra classes and work twice as hard, but at least you got in.

Hope that helped mate
Reply 2
Best advice thanks.

I am already struggling with it Unit 1 health and safety.

can you help me with it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending