The Student Room Group

Reagents?

What exactly is a reagent? I've looked it up but getting vague answers.
Original post by Me14
What exactly is a reagent? I've looked it up but getting vague answers.

Imagine that it's short for "reaction agent"

It is the "agent" or substance that causes reaction ...
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Imagine that it's short for "reaction agent"

It is the "agent" or substance that causes reaction ...

Can you have a look at Question 1 e(iii please? Not sure how the answer is Phosphoric acid :s-smilie:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65362-question-paper-unit-f332-chemistry-of-natural-resources.pdf
Original post by Me14
Can you have a look at Question 1 e(iii please? Not sure how the answer is Phosphoric acid :s-smilie:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65362-question-paper-unit-f332-chemistry-of-natural-resources.pdf

The reaction involves the addition of water, but this reaction doesn't happen just by adding water - you need a catalyst, ie. Phosphoric acid. If the mark scheme says just 'phosphoric acid', this is because the implication is that the acid is aqueous - dissolved in water, hence you are adding water and acid.
Reply 4
Original post by PythianLegume
The reaction involves the addition of water, but this reaction doesn't happen just by adding water - you need a catalyst, ie. Phosphoric acid. If the mark scheme says just 'phosphoric acid', this is because the implication is that the acid is aqueous - dissolved in water, hence you are adding water and acid.

But I can't see a way you can work out that the catalyst is phosphoric acid?
Reply 5
Original post by Me14
But I can't see a way you can work out that the catalyst is phosphoric acid?

Yeah, unfortunately you have to memorise it and all of the other reagents and conditions, like acidified potassium dichromate with heat for alcohol-->aldehyde, making halogenoalkanes, alkenes into Alana requires hydrogen with high temperature and pressure an nickel catalyst.... :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by krisshP
Yeah, unfortunately you have to memorise it and all of the other reagents and conditions, like acidified potassium dichromate with heat for alcohol-->aldehyde, making halogenoalkanes, alkenes into Alana requires hydrogen with high temperature and pressure an nickel catalyst.... :frown:

Oh :-/ Any more I need to know?
Reply 7
Original post by Me14
Oh :-/ Any more I need to know?

See the F332 spec
Reply 8
I think this may help:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by spiruel
I think this may help: