The Student Room Group

Why are Russia and china against intervention in Syria?

Scroll to see replies

I can only speak for Russia (it's one of my special interest modules at uni), but in basic terms, Russia continues to support Assad for 3 broad reasons:
- Money - Russia owns an important naval base in Syria, as many of the other posters have alluded to, and the arms trade between Russia and Syria is very profitable.
- Their Own Interests - Aside from financial benefits, Assad represents Russia's last ally in a very geo-strategically important region, and Russia also continues to advocate opposition to US imposition upon Middle Eastern states (see Putin's speech at the International Security Conference in 2007, described by Senator John McCain as the most vicious speech by a Russian leader since the Cold War).
- Finally, Fear - Russia, as exhibited by their prominent cooperative role with the US in the War on Terror, has a pronounced fear of the spread of radical Islam, as well as fear of revolution in general following the Orange Revolution in Ukraine, for instance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by broadwayrachael
I can only speak for Russia (it's one of my special interest modules at uni), but in basic terms, Russia continues to support Assad for 3 broad reasons:
- Money - Russia owns an important naval base in Syria, as many of the other posters have alluded to, and the arms trade between Russia and Syria is very profitable
- Their Own Interests - Aside from financial benefits, Assad represents Russia's last ally in a very geo-strategically important region, and Russia also continues to advocate opposition to US imposition upon Middle Eastern states (see Putin's speech at the International Security Conference in 2007, described by Senator John McCain as the most vicious speech by a Russian leader since the Cold War)
- Finally, Fear - Russia, as exhibited by their prominent cooperative role with the US in the War on Terror, has a pronounced fear of the spread of radical Islam, as well as fear of revolution in general following the Orange Revolution in Ukraine, for instance

Please complete your uncompleted post!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RedArrow
Please complete your uncompleted post!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry? :smile:
Reply 23
Sorry? :smile:

Oh sorry... At first read, it seemed like there was more content to come after "for instance..." My bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RedArrow
Oh sorry... At first read, it seemed like there was more content to come after "for instance..." My bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's ok! I'll probably add to it at some point anyway, I was just too tired last night :tongue:
Reply 25
OP answer to your (unfair) question.

Who gave these guys these AMERICAN guns? Not to mention the uniforms (tanks have been hijacked). Too bad Assad's winning.

LiveLeak-dot-com-7007886e2417-vlcsnap-00003.jpg
Original post by Morgsie
For 3 years Russia and China have caused gridlock in the international system yet there have been human rights violations in Syria. They could at least abstain but no they are playing awkward. Completely agree about the real motives

Want to see them both round the negotiating table at this proposed Conference

So you are saying that western concern for this conflict is purely about the well being of the syrian people and their human rights and, whilst in contrast China and Russia are only acting out of selfishness, greed and geopolitics?
Reply 27
Let me explain Russia to you - if the west goes and bombs a Russian ship carrying weapons to Assad, Putin will say "oh well we tried like we said we would" rather than do anything in retaliation. Why? because its all about disagreeing with the west rather than being loyal to Assad.
Reply 28
- Money - Russia owns an important naval base in Syria, as many of the other posters have alluded to, and the arms trade between Russia and Syria is very profitable.
- Their Own Interests - Aside from financial benefits, Assad represents Russia's last ally in a very geo-strategically important region, and Russia also continues to advocate opposition to US imposition upon Middle Eastern states (see Putin's speech at the International Security Conference in 2007, described by Senator John McCain as the most vicious speech by a Russian leader since the Cold War).
- Finally, Fear - Russia, as exhibited by their prominent cooperative role with the US in the War on Terror, has a pronounced fear of the spread of radical Islam, as well as fear of revolution in general following the Orange Revolution in Ukraine, for instance.

The issue in Chechnya and the surrounding area probably adds to that...
Original post by cl_steele

Absolutely, especially since the Boston Marathon Bombings!
Reply 30

I highly doubt it. It was Russia who installed Ramzan Kadyrov's exceptionally crude and brutal Islamist terrorist regime with links to international terrorism in charge of Chechnya.
Reply 31
Original post by Clessus
I highly doubt it. It was Russia who installed Ramzan Kadyrov's exceptionally crude and brutal Islamist terrorist regime with links to international terrorism in charge of Chechnya.

Yes they installed a regime just to go and fight them in the mountains, have them by proxy slaughter a theatre and demolish a load of apartment buildings, very good logic right there.
Reply 32
Yes they installed a regime just to go and fight them in the mountains, have them by proxy slaughter a theatre and demolish a load of apartment buildings, very good logic right there.

You obviously don't have even the vaguest idea what you are talking about (as usual). I will say again, Ramzan Kadyrov (who was installed by Russia, that is not controvertial), has introduced an exceptionally crude and brutal Islamic regime in the country. To give you a taste, he was reported as justifying the murder of seven young Chechen women in honour killings on the grounds that they had ‘loose morals’ and deserved to die, and encourages polygamy.

On topic, Russia's current policy vis-a-vis Syria has more to do with protecting its interests in the region. Syria has been a pro-Russian regime since the 1970s. It has literally nothing to do with Chechnya, or the fear of Islamic extremism. The fact that Russia is closely tied to Iran is proof of that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Countries follow their own interest. Syria is the last footstep for Russia in the middle-east , Russia does not want to leave without using Syria's card to the maximum extent. China on the other hand supports Syria because of the free Iranian oil being sent to China because of their opposing position of the Syrian revolution .... When China sees no monetary interest from supporting the Syrian regime , it will **** sides immediately.
Reply 34
Original post by Clessus
You obviously don't have even the vaguest idea what you are talking about (as usual). I will say again, Ramzan Kadyrov (who was installed by Russia, that is not controvertial), has introduced an exceptionally crude and brutal Islamic regime in the country. To give you a taste, he was reported as justifying the murder of seven young Chechen women in honour killings on the grounds that they had ‘loose morals’ and deserved to die, and encourages polygamy.

On topic, Russia's current policy vis-a-vis Syria has more to do with protecting its interests in the region. Syria has been a pro-Russian regime since the 1970s. It has literally nothing to do with Chechnya, or the fear of Islamic extremism. The fact that Russia is closely tied to Iran is proof of that.

As usual? you dont even know who i am?
Your weird little arguement has nothing to do with the thread so please stop trying to derail it.
And i think you'll find Russia isnt that cuddly with Iran these days and it couldnt give a **** who is in control of Syria so long as they keep their strategic influence in the area, as has been mentioned time and again, i think its time you got some glasses..dont you? So long as who ever controls the country lets them keep their port theyll do as they please and as that is Assad and he is paying a tidy sum to Russians and their arms companies for state of the art weapons its the regime, if the rebels gave a pinky swear to the russians they could have their base and started buying lots of fun things that go bang i'd bet you £5 theyd stop supporting Assad in a heart beat. In the mean time good on them for keeping the terrorists and the idiots in the west out of Syria.
Reply 35

And i think you'll find Russia isnt that cuddly with Iran these days and it couldnt give a **** who is in control of Syria so long as they keep their strategic influence in the area, as has been mentioned time and again, i think its time you got some glasses..dont you? So long as who ever controls the country lets them keep their port theyll do as they please and as that is Assad and he is paying a tidy sum to Russians and their arms companies for state of the art weapons its the regime, if the rebels gave a pinky swear to the russians they could have their base and started buying lots of fun things that go bang i'd bet you £5 theyd stop supporting Assad in a heart beat. In the mean time good on them for keeping the terrorists and the idiots in the west out of Syria.

Where is our disagreement then?
Reply 36
Original post by Clessus
Where is our disagreement then?

im not entirely sure you're the one who disagreed with my original post in the first place so please do humour me
Reply 37
im not entirely sure you're the one who disagreed with my original post in the first place so please do humour me

I disagreed with you on the part on Chechnya. I agree with everything else you said about Russia's motives.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending